(Topic ID: 73161)

Wish List of Bugs In WMS/BLY WPC/WPC95 Code to Fix?

By PPS

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 268 posts
  • 124 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by dudah
  • Topic is favorited by 26 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PC300426.JPG
PC300425.JPG
image-466.jpg
crying-boy.jpg
There are 268 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
#1 10 years ago

PPS would like to get input on bugs or incomplete functionality in WMS/BLY WPC and WPC95 games, please let me know the general topic and then any specifics as possible - you can email me at [email protected] or post here. I'd like to get an inventory of what things are out there so if we were to start addressing them we have a list of things to work on.

[email protected]

#2 10 years ago

As a software engineer, I'd suggest using a bug tracker for these. Various tools let people submit issues, vote on priorities, deal with duplicates, and track fixes. Mantis, Google Code, etc are all fine choices.

Also, why isn't this code open-sourced? There'd be no harm to Williams by doing that. Lots of 90's games have been open-sourced like Doom/Quake/etc. The community could fix the bugs...

#3 10 years ago

If you're thinking what I think you're thinking, then this could be an awesome thread.

Shadow - sanctum lock - sometimes the switches don't register and the game reacts poorly by going into ball search.

Indy 500 - souvenir values awarded don't reflect the score displayed on screen

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from dhalem:

Also, why isn't this code open-sourced? There'd be no harm to Williams by doing that. Lots of 90's games have been open-sourced like Doom/Quake/etc. The community could fix the bugs...

This has already been addressed in another thread and it's been clearly stated it isn't happening. So nothing to be gained by going down that route here.

Quoted from jayhawkai:

Shadow - sanctum lock - sometimes the switches don't register and the game reacts poorly by going into ball search.

That's not a software problem (that I'm aware of). My machine has never once done that. More likely a hardware issue.

Someone have a summary handy on the issues with TOTAN?

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from dhalem:

As a software engineer, I'd suggest using a bug tracker for these.

+1 A single thread is most likely going to devolve into an incomprehensible mess with all the discussion, debate over whether issues are really a software bug, requests for rule changes, etc. Even email as Rick requested means he will see a bunch of repeat reports with none of the benefits of others being able to verify it. Being able to keep a single issue self contained and track it appropriately makes it much more manageable.

#6 10 years ago

Dr Who needs repro plastics.

#7 10 years ago

How about the eternally expanding point value of the two shot combo on Shadow? That should be capped.

#8 10 years ago

Getaway ROM selection is always an issue since they all have bugs. ROM distributors and Pinside polls say that most people run L-2. A new L-2 modified to fix the multiball / Free Ride bug would make it an easy choice. Popular game too.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hs2-getaway-is-in-the-house-multiball-bug#post-241529

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

wtf

#10 10 years ago

IJ has a few - when playing steal the stones or the 3 challenges and you start multiball the mode continues, but you get credit for playing the next mode and you have to play these again.

I think there is something else, but can't recall right now

#11 10 years ago

WCS - not a bug but would be nice to have the TV modes in a random order

#12 10 years ago

DM - limit always going for lock freeze either by changing the rule you can only select one until you have done all 5, or by increasing the value of the other modes.

Also, could use changes to demolition time - scoring is much lower compared to the last multiball

Needs another high score list for combo champ

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from kyle5574:

Getaway ROM selection is always an issue since they all have bugs. ROM distributors and Pinside polls say that most people run L-2. A new L-2 modified to fix the multiball / Free Ride bug would make it an easy choice. Popular game too.
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hs2-getaway-is-in-the-house-multiball-bug#post-241529

+1

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from herg:

+1 A single thread is most likely going to devolve into an incomprehensible mess with all the discussion, debate over whether issues are really a software bug, requests for rule changes, etc. Even email as Rick requested means he will see a bunch of repeat reports with none of the benefits of others being able to verify it. Being able to keep a single issue self contained and track it appropriately makes it much more manageable.

+1

Not to mention, some of the fixes are already out there in the wild and could be posted in response to the bug report. I have fixes to both WhoDunnit? and Fish Tales I could provide.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from kyle5574:

Getaway ROM selection is always an issue since they all have bugs. ROM distributors and Pinside polls say that most people run L-2. A new L-2 modified to fix the multiball / Free Ride bug would make it an easy choice.

Came here to say this. Getaway needs some serious help. You have to pick your poison between the Free Ride bug, or deal with it messing up locks for multiball on multiplayer games.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from mjenison:

+1
Not to mention, some of the fixes are already out there in the wild and could be posted in response to the bug report. I have fixes to both WhoDunnit? and Fish Tales I could provide.

what are issues with FT?

#17 10 years ago

--- JOHNNY MNEMONIC ---

Please fix the scoring on Johnny Mnemonic's spinner millions. I think the best way to do that is to just score the spinner million points directly, and remove those spinner million points from the bonus. Removing the spinner millions points from the bonus would eliminate its multiplication of 4x, Hold bonus, and award bonus. Also, the per spin score of the spinner during spinner millions could be cut in half to further balance the scoring. So a typical good 1 billion spinner million round would end up being 500 million, which is very much in line with other mode values.

This change would save this great game.

#18 10 years ago

Not WPC, but I'll sneak this one in anyway. Take Jar Jar entirely out of SWE1.

#19 10 years ago

In Police Force, you can adjust the number of center shots required to start unlimited millions, but I think it maxes out at 8. It would balance out the game nicely if we had the option to go up to 99 if we wanted to. Depending on how the game plays.

In Radical! it would balance it out if there was an option to lock the mega millions award to 5 million. I have the PAPA tournament ROM that does it, but it would be nice to be officially supported.

In WH20, have the option to increase the amount of points beating Wet Willies level 2 awards. Right now, it's more valuable to play 5x play field and then stack a 3x multiball.

#20 10 years ago

Ive sent emails to PPS and posted here before and only get crickets about parts getting done. I figure they will actually read a thread they start so figured I'd throw it out there. worth a try.

#21 10 years ago

There are some of us who can also do work with system3-11 too, Rick. Any interest in that direction at all?

#22 10 years ago

System 11 game code I don't think I have, which doesn't prevent things from being proposed and done, it's just more complicated ... unless someone has some good decompiled code that we can work from ...

rick

#23 10 years ago

In Bop : The game resets in multiplayer mode when one of the players enters the billionaire's club.

In Bop : When there is one or two balls locked on the head, and the game ends, the balls are ejected and the music cuts out suddendly. If there is no ball on the head, the music plays like it should.

#24 10 years ago

BoP billionaire reset bug.

viperrwk

#25 10 years ago

Deleted.

#26 10 years ago

Can we please keep this thread to SOFTWARE BUGS/FIXES?

thanks,
rick

#27 10 years ago

- CFTBL -
1) Move Your Car does not work if restarted after an ended multiball. The mode starts up again, but shooting the center lane does not award any move your car points.
*How to recreate* - Start Move Your Car, lock a ball to start multiball while the MYC mode is still running, end multiball by draining a ball, MYC will start up again complete with countdown, but center shots do not collect the award, but it does add another shot towards making future MYC modes.

2) If your fail to start super scoring by hitting the snack bar, and the timer runs out, it screws up the rest of the right ramp awards, like I think you have to hit 12 more shots just to get snack attack again.
*How to recreate* - Hit 12 right ramp shots to start the Super scoring countdown, let the mode time out and you will hear a loud bell/jingle. Next Right ramp shot indicates that 12 more shots are needed for snack attack mode.

3) 4x playfield bug, if you max out 4x playfield you no longer can get any multipliers the rest of the game I believe.
*How to recreate* - Max out your playfield multiplier during multiball to 4X. Scoring will work correctly for this MB only, any future MBs the playfield cannot be multiplied even if you get the required number of creature letters.

4) Mega Menu - hitting each target only awards 5million, even though the display states 5m ,10m, 15m, 20m. This makes shooting for Mega Menu not worth the danger. I believe this is a bug, because the left ramp award does indeed score 3m, 6m, 9m, for each shot.
*How to recreate* - Start Mega Menu ; verify only 5 million was awarded for each target.

#28 10 years ago

- TZ -

1) minor bug ; LITZ totals include previous bonuses prior to playing LITZ like power, clocks, etc. not sure if this is intended.

#29 10 years ago

- WH20 -

1) I am not sure if this is a bug, but sometimes the river class does not reset after I drain on ROM LH6.

#30 10 years ago

- TOTAN -
1) Genie Battle / Harum exploit , not sure if this thread is intended to rewrite game mechanics.

#31 10 years ago

BOP- in Tournament mode, if you lock one ball in the eye on face 3 and then drain, the next ball shot up the ramp will not register in the second Eye. Eventually, it will serve a third ball to the shooter Lane.

Also, the small wheel never awards "lite extra ball". I think it only awards "extra ball" if game adjustment is set to easy.

#32 10 years ago

Don't know if it is a bug or not, but loud popping noise from speakers in between balls on games such as MM, ToM,etc.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

kyle5574 said:

Getaway ROM selection is always an issue since they all have bugs. ROM distributors and Pinside polls say that most people run L-2. A new L-2 modified to fix the multiball / Free Ride bug would make it an easy choice.

Came here to say this. Getaway needs some serious help. You have to pick your poison between the Free Ride bug, or deal with it messing up locks for multiball on multiplayer games.

+1 for Getaway. Shouldn't have to use an older version of code, because it is screwed up less then the others.

I also think CFTBL is another good candidate, as it has a number of bugs.

#34 10 years ago

Bram Stoker's Dracula:

- Tilt warnings during ball drains will skip awarding the player's bonus and move directly onto the next ball/player.

#35 10 years ago

I want my web value points in Scared Stiff. They don't actually get added to your score when you shoot that ramp. I'm currently owed millions of points for all the years of playing that game. There is also a bug in that game where if you have balls locked in the coffin and you start Crate Multiball, sometimes it doesn't start the multiball and it just ends the Crate Multiball mode instead and goes back to regular play.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Don't know if it is a bug or not, but loud popping noise from speakers in between balls on games such as MM, ToM,etc.

I second that! Those pops are annoying.

#37 10 years ago

I500 if you complete the race (passing cars to get to first place) by hitting pops during the 'secret mode', it does not light Victory Lap so you can collect the checkered flag/big points. I think this is also true if you get to first place by completing the third shot during gasoline alley.

On Roadshow, be nice if there was an option to randomly pick which is the first city lit when the game starts (between Miami and New York vs always being New York that is lit).

#38 10 years ago

Tom:

A ball save needs to be added when the magnets for Hocus Pocus don't activate.

Kinda of like when phantom flip fails on MB it gives you your ball back.

Thanks,

Chris

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from Jetzxi:

Tom:
A ball save needs to be added when the magnets for Hocus Pocus don't activate.
Kinda of like when phantom flip fails on MB it gives you your ball back.
Thanks,
Chris

That's a good one

#40 10 years ago

TOM- A real wizard mode and a trunk reset or home position return if hit by ball and it stops mid turn.

HS2- Several version with bugs, consolidate and one optimum release.

TAF- Ball save would be nice.

NGG- Wizard mode ( wish) and fix random checksum error bug on original ROM.

Optimize lamp matrix cycle timing for LED use on all code.

#41 10 years ago

I don't have a list of NGG bugs, but as you probably know, there are several. It would be nice to get those fixed.

TOM, as noted previously, something that monitors the trunk position and returns it to a "home" position if stopped mid turn by a ball strike would be nice.

#42 10 years ago

Judge Dredd: it would be nice to have support for the Deadworld Mod added to the last stable version. The prototype software is quite buggy...

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from cal50:

TOM- A real wizard mode and a trunk reset or home position return if hit by ball and it stops mid turn.
Optimize lamp matrix cycle timing for LED use on all code.

+1. It's a real bummer when the trunk stops partway through the game. And a bummer a more complete wizard mode isn't included.

For Bride of Pinbot- The bummer with that game to me is the whole 1 billion randomness. I'd say the 1 billion point shot should only be given once all other big wheel awards have been handed out. For example: Every big wheel spin will give you a random award (except for 1 billion). Once an award is given, the light should be lit and the award should be removed from the random list. After all normal big wheel awards are given out, the big wheel has no choice but to light the 1 billion shot. Once collected, the wheel's lights would all turn off and the process would start over again. So basically this means every 6 spins will give you 1 billion, and it will be more satisfying to get.

Bugs Bunny- The game has a cool layout but has the same issue as Bride of Pinbot- the 50 mill random shot kills the game. Make that saucer worth 50 mill only after all cake candles are lit. Cake candles can be associated with various switches across the table. If the candles arn't lit, then the saucer can give out some non-50 mill award like it currently does.

-Lin

#44 10 years ago

CFTBL - for the love of god - allow flippers to skip the kiss animations!

Also make the slide a little harder to score a letter on, the insert might as well be controlled by the GI.

T2 - fix that f'ing attract sound boom once and for all.

TOM - fix that trunk issue where it halts it when it thinks a ball could be trapped.

JD - make DW mod (original ring) work with latest rom code.

TOTAN - allow jewels by bazar award to be turned off in feature adjustments.

BSD - allow 3rd ball default myst MB to be turned off in feature adjustments.

Wishes:

Give IJ some type of skill shot.

Make starting a new mode in STTNG something that has to be re-lit (at least an option).

Quoted from iepinball:

Bram Stoker's Dracula:
- Tilt warnings during ball drains will skip awarding the player's bonus and move directly onto the next ball/player.

Nope, this is a great idea, it can be built into a huge reward after your second+ times through it, and needs risk associated.

#45 10 years ago

An MM type skillshot would be neat. Hold down the left flipper, shoot. Ball goes around the orbit to the left flipper to shoot a ramp or something.

Quoted from Atomicboy:

Give IJ some type of skill shot.

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

crying-boy.jpgcrying-boy.jpg

A few off the top of my head:

Addams Family: A timed ball save would be great. Set the option to kick out locked balls after a game to yes by default. Randomize mansion modes more so mamshkua isn't always lit at the start of a game.

White Water: Timed ball save please. Also, make 5x double and triple jackpots count when stacking multiball and 5x playfield.

Creature: Sound pop at end of ball, nothing major.

Gofers: When multiball restart is active, an early shot to the green doesn't register. I've lost the restart several times due to this.

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

An MM type skillshot would be neat. Hold down the left flipper, shoot. Ball goes around the orbit to the left flipper to shoot a ramp or something.

I agree, pretty much the only good possibility out there. A stern like lane changer would be at least something, but those are kind of lame.

#48 10 years ago

NGG: jackpot amounts stated/called out are typically not the amounts actually reflected by score.

#49 10 years ago

Thanks to PPS for reaching out to find what needs to be fixed. Looking forward to some of the suggested improvements/updates.

#50 10 years ago

So what are the FT problems with code?

I ahve not noticed any and think it is one of the best coded games. I guess only comlaint could be that the points are all from super jackpot??? However the risk/reward if dialed in perfectly from my perspective.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods

$ 1,419.00
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

3,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Firestone, CO
$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Sugarloaf, CO
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

£ 38.00
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Sussex, WI
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 268 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wish-list-of-bugs-in-wmsbly-wpcwpc95-code-to-fix/ and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.