Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by gmkalos
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

46580-1 (resized).jpg

#1 6 months ago

I am restoring a Williams Jackpot and the colors of the wiring are very poor to see.

What would be the best way of cleaning the wires and what could be used the best.

#2 6 months ago

Can try any number of cleaners but I’ve found decent success with Simple Green or also Crud Cutter, and a toothbrush.

Sometimes if looking to see the colors better you can untie one of the harnesses that hold the wiring bundle together and they’re like-new.

#3 6 months ago
Quoted from goldenboy232:

Can try any number of cleaners but I’ve found decent success with Simple Green or also Crud Cutter, and a toothbrush.
Sometimes if looking to see the colors better you can untie one of the harnesses that hold the wiring bundle together and they’re like-new.

Exactly what I use as well.

#4 6 months ago

I've seen posts from people putting the harness in a dishwasher.

#5 6 months ago
Quoted from jrockne:

You can't do that with an EM.

#6 6 months ago

I use LA's totally awesome. It's a degreaser/cleaner. Comes in a sprayer type bottle from the dollar store. They say cut it with water but it works best for me straight. I saturate a terry type rag and scrub away then wipe with clean water rag, like a rinse. It's safe on most parts as long as you rinse well. I also use it on the lamp boards, remove the board leaving the lamps in place, spray and use a paint brush to scrub, then rinse well and blow off with air compressor. Takes all that black dust off right now. Just my 2 cents.

#7 6 months ago
Quoted from jrockne:

Quoted from Mikala:

You can't do that with an EM.

You have to take the head off and run it through the dishwasher separately.

#8 6 months ago

I like to use Baby-wipes.

Inexpensive, easy to use and no mess. They don't wash the colours out either

#9 6 months ago

The problem is that a few of the cleaners mentioned not available is in Europe.

On the otherhand i did try the baby wipes and it looks at first try a good solution to start with. Give it a go further

#10 6 months ago

I'm guessing, by your name, that you are in the Netherlands or Belgium? Take a look at Bally Bingo in Holland and see Coos work on cleaning wiring harnesses on his Bingo machines Seems to work though!

#11 6 months ago

Yep, I am from The Netherlands . I have met Coos a couple of months ago but never had the idea to look at his website about the cleaning. I think because he is doing more in the bingo machines.

btw. He has a few fantastic machines in his gameroom.

Will have look and thx for the tip.

#12 6 months ago

Dishwasher

#13 6 months ago

Hi Klokkie
I do not know about "cleaning wires" --- You work on a Williams pin and these manuals are very good. Lets say You have an "problem with the Eject Holes on top of the playfield" - ipdb has to Jackpot https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wiring-cleaning#post-4250325 the schematics --- You look-up the wires / switches of interest --- the ipdb-manual starting from page-17 (ori-15) shows every relay and all their switches - drawings of exact position of every switch --- and wirecolors is not very important (?). Greetings Rolf

#14 6 months ago

Hi Rolf,

What i mean is that the colors are needed because i have 2 jackpot heads and 1 is not complete.

I want to see which color it is so i can see in the head what wire is missing. To keep it original as possible

#15 6 months ago

Great for plastic wires.

Will it work for cloth wires ? And not discolor or tear the cloth apart ?

The OP's game has cloth wires.

LTG : )

#16 6 months ago

Can you buy automotive brake parts cleaner in spray cans where you live? it is petroleum based so the wiring would need to dry out before you applied power.

I don't know if it would work on cleaning dirt from cloth wiring since it is designed to remove grease and oil. But it might be worth try if you can buy it.

46580-1 (resized).jpg

#17 6 months ago

Hello Cottonm4,

Yep, i know this stuff and we can buy the similair in Holland. Did not try it but as you mentioned it is for grease and so and i do not know the result and what more important how is it when it is dry , is it still flamable.
Did read a lot of stories from people who had fire in the machine because of spray's of all kind.

I will try this with spraying on a cloth and then rub the wiring.

Thanks.

#18 6 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Can you buy automotive brake parts cleaner in spray cans where you live? it is petroleum based so the wiring would need to dry out before you applied power.
I don't know if it would work on cleaning dirt from cloth wiring since it is designed to remove grease and oil. But it might be worth try if you can buy it.

Wouldn’t this be a HUGE fire hazard around an EM?!

#19 6 months ago
Quoted from goldenboy232:

Wouldn’t this be a HUGE fire hazard around an EM?!

No. Let it dry for several hours. All the vapors/volatiles will evaporate away and there will be nothing left.

There are no solids in this fluid. Now, if you spray the stuff on your wire harness and turn on the power when the harness is still wet you will have problems.

#20 6 months ago

I've found an orange cleaner works well on vinyl.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 39.95
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 85.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 89.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 1.95
Various Novelties
Pinball Wheezer
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 92.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 9.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Electronics
nvram.weebly.com

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside