2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Chisox
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

Is there a risk to receive money in a wire transfer? Sounds like you give out your account number. It’s an international wire from Hong Kong. Advise would be great.

#2 2 years ago

There is a swift code involved instead of a routing number, so it's a little different. However, I am paranoid and have a separate checking account specifically for wire transfers...

#3 2 years ago

Confirm your banking information via multiple forms of communication.
    I.E. if you email your wire instructions to the sender, have them confirm the information with you via a phone call or text before they send the wire.

The biggest scam I am aware of with bank transfers is having a compromised computer, which can happen on either end.
    Basically they intercept the emails (either coming or going) and change the account information to where the money is wired to someone else.
    This is rampant in the housing market and it’s basically now a standard protocol to verify the wire instructions via multiple forms of communication.

I learned this lesson the hard way.

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

Confirm your banking information via multiple forms of communication.
    I.E. if you email your wire instructions to the sender, have them confirm the information with you via a phone call or text before they send the wire.
    The biggest scam I am aware of with bank transfers is having a compromised computer, which can happen on either end.
    Basically they intercept the emails (either coming or going) and change the account information to where the money is wired to someone else.
    This is rampant in the housing market and it’s basically now a standard protocol to verify the wire instructions via multiple forms of communication.
    I learned this lesson the hard way.

This scam was done to someone I know. The scammers were monitoring private emails between two business partners.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

This scam was done to someone I know. The scammers were monitoring private emails between two business partners.

This happened to me on an incoming business wire from Europe.
    They went as far as to mock up fake company letterhead with alternate wire instructions (not my actual company letterhead) using graphics from our website. Pretty fucked up scam where the sender has no recourse in most cases. Would up being a compromised computer on the senders end.

Needless to say I verify every wire now with multiple forms of communication since then.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Me too! And it was like $50 grand and it took him forever to get it fixed. Luckily the scammers were in Florida, I can’t imagine trying to deal with an overseas scam. Agree with Coindork, phone call and/or text confirmation at a minimum.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wire-transfer-safety and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.