Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Eddie
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6479002.01.prod.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

For me, striping wires has always been the most painful part of working with electronics. I could never find wire strippers that ever worked very well, and always ended up defaulting to a pocket knife. And that's a bit time consuming if there's a lot of wires to strip.

So, I started looking at automatic wire strippers, and was wondering if anyone could recommend one that works well with 18AWG and 22AWG wires?

The reviews on some of the ones I stumbled upon on amazon are largely mixed, with no real overwhelming winner. Automatic wire strippers: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n_1

A while back, I saw an interview with Adam Savage (of Mythbusters) who recommended Greenlee strippers, but one of the reviews mentioned problems stripping 18AWG wires. http://www.amazon.com/Greenlee-1935-Terminators-Automatic-Stripper/dp/B001HW925Y

Do you have any recommendations for something that works well, but isn't too outrageously expensive?

#2 9 years ago

I don't know about the good ones....but those cheep $6-7 auto-strippers stink! Especially with the 18-20AWG wire.

faz

#3 9 years ago

I use the Klein one, and I like it. It is quick and efficient. I don't think I ever want to go back to the older style ones, or a knife. Just close them in the right spot and your done. The only minor drawback is lining up the wire with the right spot on the stripper for that size. But after a while its easy. Well worth it in my opinion.

#4 9 years ago

Klein all the way. You'll pay, but IMO their stuff is well worth it.

I own the Katapult.

#6 9 years ago

Klein. Klein. Klein.

#7 9 years ago

Klein is what I use.

#8 9 years ago

Thanks for the feedback guys

Looks like I'll go ahead and snag it:

Klein Tools 11063 8-22 AWG Katapult Wire Stripper http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BC39YFQ

#9 9 years ago

I found a Klein 11061 at a plumbing/heating supply. Stopped by for a free brat and Klein had a rep there showing tools. Got it for $25, last summer.

Keep an eye out for free food and tool reps.

LTG : )™

#10 9 years ago

Klein Katapult. Got it at Home Depot.

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from tktlwyr:

Klein Katapult. Got it at Home Depot.

Looks like it might be two bucks less at Home Depot. Since I'm paying sales tax anyway with amazon, I may pick it up there.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-6-62-in-Katapult-Wire-Stripper-11063/202282851

Thanks

#12 9 years ago

Damm, at first I thought the title said Wife stripper recommendations....

I use the Kline as well, you get what you pay for, best dammed stripper you'll ever own

#13 9 years ago

I'd like the title of this thread (and likely then, the thread itself) if you just got rid of the word "wire".

#14 9 years ago

Best wire stripper ever is made by Ideal ( 45-227 ) 24-10 AWG - also has a wire cutter built in . These are getting hard to find , could only find on Amazon ($21.79 ) . Superior design to any other . This is also sold by Snap-on w/ their name @ twice the price .

#15 9 years ago

I cant be the only one that strips wire with just diagnal pliers

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

I use an old cheap pair of 4 dollar cutters. I like the fact that I can feel when the cutters go through the insulation (same way you can with diag cutters).

6479002.01.prod.jpg6479002.01.prod.jpg

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

No, you're not. While I own the Klein and love it, half the time I'll use a pocket knife or my teeth.

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Thanks for the feedback guys
    Looks like I'll go ahead and snag it:
    Klein Tools 11063 8-22 AWG Katapult Wire Stripper amazon.com link »

That's basically what I have too. I used to use the really cheap cutters similar to what terryb posted. Now that I'm using nice ones I just can't go back.

#19 9 years ago

I got this a few months ago from Amazon. No regrets and seems to work well even with very small gauge wires:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IYTCG6/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i02

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from terryb:

I use an old cheap pair of 4 dollar cutters. I like the fact that I can feel when the cutters go through the insulation (same way you can with diag cutters).

I carry both those and the Klein in my bag, but I always reach for the automatic ones. And that is because I find it much easier and safer to have the tool grab the wire. Sometimes with the manual ones you end up tugging the wire a bit more than you want. The automatic ones are just squeeze and done.

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from terryb:

I've gone through all sorts of cheap wire strippers through the years. I've never had one that worked effortlessly.

So, I picked up the Klein and tested with some scrap 14AWG wire I had laying around. The trickiest part is putting the wire in the correct notch since they're so close together, but overall, it sure beats spending several minutes stripping the end off a cable with a junk wire stripper or pocket knife.

Thanks guys

#22 9 years ago

I want to race someone with a wire stripper and me diaganol snip pliers. GO GO GO.

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

I want to race someone with a wire stripper and me diaganol snip pliers. GO GO GO.

More times that not, those that use diagonal pliers are scratching/scoring the copper wire as well. It's a recipe for a poorly done job.

#26 9 years ago

The stripper below is either a copy of an $80 Paladin stripper or made by the same OEM manufacturer. Self adjusting and works great. Really like the way it strips from the front. Have used an older model Paladin that strips the same way for the past 30 years and it's my favorite. This one seems to work as well.

ebay.com link: FS D3 Self Adjusting insulation Wire Stripper range 0 08 6mm2 TOOL

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from Firebaall:

More times that not, those that use diagonal pliers are scratching/scoring the copper wire as well. It's a recipe for a poorly done job.

Yeah, if you suck at stripping wire. After 20,000 wire strips, i think im pretty good =D.

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

You would get annihilated.

I have the style that PEN linked just above. I was using cat5 cable for a project and could strip all 8 wires in one shot.

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from appeac:

You would get annihilated.
    I have the style that PEN linked just above. I was using cat5 cable for a project and could strip all 8 wires in one shot.

That's impressive.

Now I'm starting to think I should return the one I got and go with the self-adjusting ones instead.

#30 9 years ago

IIRC, these are what Adam from Mythbusters uses... I think they may be rebranded Irwin/vise grip but I dont care.. I really like these..

#31 9 years ago

The self-adjusting ones are where it's at. I use both a pair like PEN linked, and also a smaller set of adjustable ones, I haven't been able to find the smaller ones again though.

I'll post a pic of the small one later, maybe someone can find them online.

2 months later
    #32 9 years ago

I wired aircraft for 12 years, and these Blue Point strippers worked great. They are made by Snap On. http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?item_ID=634297&group_id=675136&supersede=&tool=all

#33 9 years ago

I find these to be the best. Front loading so they can be used in tight spaces.

Very quick and I have stripped 3, 22g wires simultaneously even thou they were not meant to do that.

Never had a problem in over 7 years of hard use.

I would never use any other.

http://www.parts-express.com/automatic-wire-stripper-with-cutter--360-627

#34 9 years ago

Sorry, looks like I forgot to post back on this topic

I ended up returning the Klein katapult wire strippers with the notches for each gauge, and went with the Klein 11061 Self-Adjusting Wire Stripper.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CXKOEQ6

I haven't used it excessively yet (mainly just the odd wire here and there), but so far, it's drastically reduced the amount of time I've spend stripping wires from 2 minutes down to 5 seconds.

Thanks for all the suggestions and feedback guys

3 months later
    #35 9 years ago

Forceflow, any updates on how your Klein 11061 self-adjusting wire stripper is working? Was wondering how it does on small gauge wire like AWG 22, since the amazon add says for 10-20AWG wire.

#36 9 years ago
    Quoted from Chet:

Forceflow, any updates on how your Klein 11061 self-adjusting wire stripper is working? Was wondering how it does on small gauge wire like AWG 22, since the amazon add says for 10-20AWG wire.

I've been using it for 16, 18, and 22 awg wires for the most part. I haven't tried 24 or 30 awg.

My only complaint is that the small adjustable lever used to hold the wire for flops around because the knob keeps loosening by itself. However, it isn't really necessary anyway, and wires still get stripped without problems without it. So, overall, I've been using it quite a bit and have been happy with it. It sure beats using notched wire strippers.

#37 9 years ago

I really like the Neiko version, but I'm certainly no electrician.

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

I dare you to try that race with wire that uses Teflon insulation! With a pair of dikes, you just get stretchy string cheese while stripping the wire.

I use an old pair of Ideal Stripmasters (identical to the Kleins listed above). Once you get used to them, you can strip wire pretty quickly with them. Got used to using these in the Mil-spec world where using dikes to strip wire is a big no-no.

#39 9 years ago

Question. I am sure everyone here understands the situation where you are working in the back cabinet replacing burned IDCs with new Molex connector housings and crimped trifurcon pins. On Williams and Bally DMD games these connectors for GI can range from 18 AWG down to 22 AWG. The challenge is that typically you don't have much wire to work with after you have cut the burned IDC connectors off and the burned wire as well. A compact wire stripper that allows you to get in close to the wire end and strip 3/16" of the insulation away for pinning/crimping is really useful.

Of the tools recommended it seems like the automatic strippers that allow you to go straight at the end of the wire would be optimum like the one from Parts Express above. Any thoughts/ideas/suggetions on on the best wire strippers to use for this kind of work?

1 week later
    #40 9 years ago
    Quoted from Chet:

Of the tools recommended it seems like the automatic strippers that allow you to go straight at the end of the wire would be optimum like the one from Parts Express above. Any thoughts/ideas/suggetions on on the best wire strippers to use for this kind of work?

You answered your own question. The front loading stripper is the best for this type of work.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wire-stripper-recommendations and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.