Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by dr_nybble
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 12.37.39 PM (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 12.37.08 PM (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    #1 1 year ago

Does any one vendor sell accurate, (Meaning as close to original as possible) replacement wire for harnesses or are they all basically the same and it just comes down to pricing. I thought I bought wire from planetary (May have still been Bay Area at the time) a while back that looked exact to the original but I can’t remember now.

#2 1 year ago
    Quoted from mmr61184:

Does any one vendor sell accurate, (Meaning as close to original as possible) replacement wire for harnesses or are they all basically the same and it just comes down to pricing. I thought I bought wire from planetary (May have still been Bay Area at the time) a while back that looked exact to the original but I can’t remember now.

Wire Bot has a nice selection.

Looks like they’re relocating currently, so you’ll need to look next week:

https://wirebot.xyz/password

#3 1 year ago

Wirebot - rockwell - is definitely who you are looking for.

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mike_M:

Wirebot - rockwell - is definitely who you are looking for.

Yeah I saw his site, last time I went on he didn’t have the stripped wires

#5 1 year ago

Pick up a few extra wire harnesses to keep on hand (swapmeet or ebay). Throw them in the dishwasher to clean up any crud and dust. This will give you a decent selection of sizes and colors to chose from in order to repair damaged wiring. Picking up enough spools of wire in a variety of gauges and colors (with tracer stripes too) could get pretty expensive unless you are doing extensive re-wiring or restorations.

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from GSones:

Pick up a few extra wire harnesses to keep on hand (swapmeet or ebay). Throw them in the dishwasher to clean up any crud and dust. This will give you a decent selection of sizes and colors to chose from in order to repair damaged wiring. Picking up enough spools of wire in a variety of gauges and colors (with tracer stripes too) could get pretty expensive unless you are doing extensive re-wiring or restorations.

Yeah that’s a good idea

#7 1 year ago

We do sell striped wire. Will be back online this weekend. Quantities as little as one foot, if you just need a little piece for a small repair. Thanks!

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from rockwell:

We do sell striped wire. Will be back online this weekend. Quantities as little as one foot, if you just need a little piece for a small repair. Thanks!

Awesome thanks, yeah I need small quantity to fix my ramp harnesses that had cuts in it

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from GSones:

LTG suggested this somewhere and I've been on the lookout for a loose harness ever since!

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dan_Halen:

LTG suggested this somewhere and I've been on the lookout for a loose harness ever since!

I bought several harnesses on Ebay back when stuff was cheap. And then a pinballer cleaning out his garage gave me a bushel basket full of wire. So I have all kinds and colors of wire---most of the time. The challenge is finding the long wire you need in the colors you need. There are lots of short wires to plunder.

But I am getting ready to go this way for some of what I need.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/there-s-one-more-scared-stiff

See post #36. Then move to posts # 59-#62.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

I bought a collection of wire with all of the colors needed from Amazon. This is 1000 feet of wire for $58.00, or $5.80 per roll, or 6 cents per foot (Amazon's math is not correct ).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QFXQX7W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s01

Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 12.37.08 PM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2023-03-29 at 12.37.08 PM (resized).jpg

I will be buying the Uni-paint pens in the next few weeks. And I will have to make the paint pen holding tool.

https://www.amazon.com/Sanford-63721-Uni-Paint-Marker-Assorted/dp/B00N56N9ZY/ref=sr_1_7

Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 12.37.39 PM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2023-03-29 at 12.37.39 PM (resized).jpg

This is not a cost effective solution if you need just one or two wires. But I will be able to make any wire/stripe color combo I need. In any length I need. red wire/black stripe, yellow wire-orange stripe. ect.

#11 1 year ago

I use a drill with a dowel in it. Drill a hole through the side of the dowel. Hook one end of the wire through the hole, clamp the other end of the wire to a vise. Tighten the wire then run the drill, twist the wire to your desired spiral effect and run the paint pen down the wire (you can use the side of the nib). Unwind with the drill and you get very nice striped wire. If you need a long run a helper may run the pen while you hold the wire taut.

Did an entire BSD wire harness this way.

I like it better than the straight stripe.

I think oil-based pens may work better. Some colours of wire like orange didn't like my water-based paint pens.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wire-harness-wire?hl=rockwell and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.