8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by cal50
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

One of the gates broke on my game. What type of wire and thickness is normally used for one way wire gates?

#3 8 years ago

I just go down to Home Depot and get a universal spring with the same thickness wire. .Just cut off the straight wire end of the spring and use the old gate as a template.Needlenose pliers work good to bend it into shape.

#5 8 years ago

I also use Piano Wire...works great and seems to hold up over time.

#6 8 years ago

I would not think the hanger wire would be stiff enough. Most hobby shops will have piano wire if you want to pick it up locally.

#7 8 years ago

Another thing that works perfectly is bicycle spokes. One old wheel from a trashed bike and you're set for life with gate material.

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from terryb:

I would not think the hanger wire would be stiff enough. Most hobby shops will have piano wire if you want to pick it up locally.

Right.

The piano wire is tempered so it springs back and keeps it's shape.

#9 8 years ago

Yup piano wire works great, my local Ma and Pa hardware store has it in stock in various gauges, worth a phone call.

#10 8 years ago

If you have a welding supply place or a welder friend stainless steel TIG welding rod works nice and will not rust.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wire-gate-material and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.