Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

EC51B8B8-3498-4E19-A52D-28E006FBB898 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
5461610b-7376-47ce-84c7-a201d5a0b34d.369aa5cca064562c197ceb634b00607b (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2022-08-04 113713 (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2022-08-04 113615 (resized).jpg
IMG_0223 (resized).jpeg
#1 1 year ago

Here's a tricky little wire gate from Dungeons & Dragons. If anyone knows if this is available that would save me this trouble!

IMG_0223 (resized).jpegIMG_0223 (resized).jpeg

I messed around a bit bending 1/16" piano wire against two #8 machine screws clamped in my vise and I think I can get those bends. The internal diameter for those sharp bends is about 1/8".

Thinking to build a bending jig out of maple or oak with holes drilled in the right spots to do all these tight bends, and having a block of wood with a tiny nook cut in it to hold/bend the wire with. My idea would be -- insert a screw, do the bend; then insert the next screw, do the bend, and so on.

Any experienced benders have any suggestions or advice?

#2 1 year ago

Does it have to be that squiggly shape? Can you simplify it? Maybe eliminate one of the squiggles so the bends don't have to be so tight?

#3 1 year ago

Following.

I've seen bending tools such as below, but not sure how well they would work for these types of pinball jobs.

Screenshot 2022-08-04 113615 (resized).jpgScreenshot 2022-08-04 113615 (resized).jpgScreenshot 2022-08-04 113713 (resized).jpgScreenshot 2022-08-04 113713 (resized).jpg
#4 1 year ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Does it have to be that squiggly shape? Can you simplify it? Maybe eliminate one of the squiggles so the bends don't have to be so tight?

Maybe not, but what's the fun in that!

I also discovered that there are CNC bending machines, not sure what one charges to do CNC wire bending.

I have a wire bender but the bend radius is too big for this.

#5 1 year ago

THIS IS THE TOOL THAT I USE FOR WIRE BENDING...........WORKS GREAT.......USES DIFFERENT SIZE POSTS FOR DIFFERENT DIA WIRES

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dubro-Products-E-Z-Bender-Wire-Forming-Tool-015-to-047-DUB480/37289967?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=13109

5461610b-7376-47ce-84c7-a201d5a0b34d.369aa5cca064562c197ceb634b00607b (resized).jpeg5461610b-7376-47ce-84c7-a201d5a0b34d.369aa5cca064562c197ceb634b00607b (resized).jpeg
#6 1 year ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

Maybe not, but what's the fun in that!
I also discovered that there are CNC bending machines, not sure what one charges to do CNC wire bending.
I have a wire bender but the bend radius is too big for this.

Make a wire bender out of nuts and bolts?

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Make a wire bender out of nuts and bolts?

That jig requires welding, though.

#8 1 year ago

No welding capabilities here.

Bought these: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B003RWS9DS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00
We'll see what they can do, bound to be handy

I'm thinking to make something like this but custom for this particular wireform -- https://www.micromark.com/Wire-Wizard-Wire-Bending-and-Wrapping-Jig

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

Here's a tricky little wire gate from Dungeons & Dragons. If anyone knows if this is available that would save me this trouble!
[quoted image]
I messed around a bit bending 1/16" piano wire against two #8 machine screws clamped in my vise and I think I can get those bends. The internal diameter for those sharp bends is about 1/8".
Thinking to build a bending jig out of maple or oak with holes drilled in the right spots to do all these tight bends, and having a block of wood with a tiny nook cut in it to hold/bend the wire with. My idea would be -- insert a screw, do the bend; then insert the next screw, do the bend, and so on.
Any experienced benders have any suggestions or advice?

When I did the Catacomb bagatelle gate years ago, all I used was a maple block and some hardened nails spaced apart. Worked perfectly as I still use it. All those other tools are ok, but keep it simple and you will have the best results.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

No welding capabilities here.
Bought these: amazon.com link »
We'll see what they can do, bound to be handy
I'm thinking to make something like this but custom for this particular wireform -- https://www.micromark.com/Wire-Wizard-Wire-Bending-and-Wrapping-Jig

You can give those a try but I don't think the pliers will give you the results you want. Nor will the bending jig - looks like it's a bit on the wimpy side (at least for piano wire).

Someone else already posted this gizmo and I've used these in the past at work - works well (on hardline coax, anyways).

Try this: Just buy a hunk of thick aluminum plate and drill holes in it. Then simply use the drill bits as the bending post. You'll have the drill bits for all the different radii needed, plus the bits are used to drill the holes.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

That jig requires welding, though.

It can be made up without any welding.

Just drill it out and pin it.

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

You can give those a try but I don't think the pliers will give you the results you want. Nor will the bending jig - looks like it's a bit on the wimpy side (at least for piano wire).
Someone else already posted this gizmo and I've used these in the past at work - works well (on hardline coax, anyways).
Try this: Just buy a hunk of thick aluminum plate and drill holes in it. Simply use the drill bits as the bending post. You'll have the drill bits for all the different radii needed, plus the bits are used to drill the holes.
[quoted image]

I dont even do that.

Mostly I just put a couple dill bits in my vice to make simple bends and just pull on the wire firmly after vice-gripping the stub part in place.

Piano wire is pretty mild steel.

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I dont even do that.
Mostly I just put a couple dill bits in my vice to make simple bends and just pull on the wire firmly after vice-gripping the stub part in place.
Piano wire is pretty mild steel.

Yeah, done that too! One nice thing about the plate is that it helps keep everything sort of on the same plane. I usually would take a spare piece of thick metal as what I place against the piano wire to make the bend rather use just my hand.

#14 1 year ago

Maple block for the win! Those are #8 machine screws, holes drilled 9/64" so the screws can just be pushed in the holes but tight so they don't flex. I used a metal block to push/bend the wire. Just added the screws one at a time as I made each bend. Needed a little squeezing with some pliers after but it is a very good facsimile of the original.

EC51B8B8-3498-4E19-A52D-28E006FBB898 (resized).jpegEC51B8B8-3498-4E19-A52D-28E006FBB898 (resized).jpeg

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

Maple block for the win![quoted image]

Good for you!

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

Maple block for the win![quoted image]

nicely done!

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

Maple block for the win!

#18 1 year ago

Amazing great job

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.