Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2014-03-17 17.57.30.jpg
2014-03-17 17.56.21.jpg
2014-03-17 17.56.02.jpg
2014-03-16 10.33.34.jpg
DSCN2220.JPG
#1 10 years ago

I'm having some problems with the wire ball guide on my Congo - the wire guide that's in the left outlane. Sorry - probably not using the right terminology. I'm going to blame that on the fact that I'm a girl.

Anyway, as you can hopefully see from the photo below, the top of the wire ball guide keeps popping out of the hole in the playfield (the hole in the playfield is between the "Z" and "I" inserts and in the photo you can hopefully see that the wire guide has popped out and is sitting just to the left of the hole instead of in the hole). I've pushed it in a few times but it doesn't want to stay. How do I make it stay? Is there a piece that goes under the playfield that holds the wire guide in place that I'm missing?

Thanks!

DSCN2220.JPGDSCN2220.JPG

#2 10 years ago

I think I found the answer in an old post: wood glue.

Will give this a try...

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from scylla:

I'm having some problems with the wire ball guide on my Congo - the wire guide that's in the left outlane. Sorry - probably not using the right terminology. I'm going to blame that on the fact that I'm a girl.
Anyway, as you can hopefully see from the photo below, the top of the wire ball guide keeps popping out of the hole in the playfield (the hole in the playfield is between the "Z" and "I" inserts and in the photo you can hopefully see that the wire guide has popped out and is sitting just to the left of the hole instead of in the hole). I've pushed it in a few times but it doesn't want to stay. How do I make it stay? Is there a piece that goes under the playfield that holds the wire guide in place that I'm missing?
Thanks!

Pull it out and hammer just the end on a vise or anvil to spread the metal a little and tap it back in.
There is nothing under the PF to hold it they are just pressure fit pressed into the hole.

4 months later
#4 10 years ago

This is an old post but just got started tearing down my Flash Gordon. Taking pics along the way. Both wire guides on the return lanes showed arcs where they had come loose and scratched the playfield. Turned out each was broken at the area where the metal had been pressed, can't find them anywhere. Now just trying to find a thread where I saw someone had made a custom tool for making these wire guides (though I'd be okay just buying them if I could find them - Bally Part# M-121-59). I imagine on Flash Gordon these will take a beating.

2014-03-16 10.33.34.jpg2014-03-16 10.33.34.jpg

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

This is an old post but just got started tearing down my Flash Gordon. Taking pics along the way. Both wire guides on the return lanes showed arcs where they had come loose and scratched the playfield. Turned out each was broken at the area where the metal had been pressed, can't find them anywhere. Now just trying to find a thread where I saw someone had made a custom tool for making these wire guides (though I'd be okay just buying them if I could find them - Bally Part# M-121-59). I imagine on Flash Gordon these will take a beating.

What's the outside-to-outside measurement of this guide?

#6 10 years ago

2 5/8" outside to outside and 1 1/8" tall (3/4" top to top of ridge):
2014-03-17 17.57.30.jpg2014-03-17 17.57.30.jpg2014-03-17 17.56.21.jpg2014-03-17 17.56.21.jpg2014-03-17 17.56.02.jpg2014-03-17 17.56.02.jpg

Contacted PBR, Marco, no one seems to have these. Both are broken and my restore is in progress.

#7 10 years ago

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/77-8593

Just get this jig and make your own out of "piano wire" (also available at Marco)

Very easy.

#8 10 years ago

Already bought that, just don't have those ribs. Might make that tool from another thread here for stamping them, but wonder if the ribs are needed if the wire is long enough.

#9 10 years ago

You don't need the barbs on the legs.

A speck of white glue in the hole and they ain't coming out until you pull them out.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You don't need the barbs on the legs.
A speck of white glue in the hole and they ain't coming out until you pull them out.

Good to know, just going to have to get some calipers (bout time really) to measure these, get the wire and bend them up I guess.

3 weeks later
#11 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/77-8593
Just get this jig and make your own out of "piano wire" (also available at Marco)
Very easy.

I just tried this jig myself. Made a replacement ball guide for my Special Force. The wire Marco's carried was only 0.08 inches in diameter. The holes are just a shade larger. I put the new ball guide in with a couple drops of lock tight super glue for wood and metal. So far so good, but time will tell. Anyway, I'm glad I found this thread because getting old Bally ball guides seems to be difficult.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Colorado Springs, CO
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Dickinson, TX
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 32.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wire-ball-guide-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.