(Topic ID: 251359)

Wire AWG and contact cleaning qeustions...

By MoSeS_1592

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20190913-131808 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Can someone please confirm the AWG of the wires on a Williams System 9 that go from the transformer to GI INPUT on the power supply (the two yellow wires)? I noticed these two wires in the run are noticeably thicker gauge then the other wires in the run that go elsewhere. The printing on the wires is completely worn off these two and I need to splice onto them to lengthen them since a previous owner did some hack work on them. I cannot find any reference in the manual.

In addition to that, I am getting a new power supply for my machine. The 9-pin female GI connector is unmodified but the connector is brown and I'm sure the contact inside are heavily oxidized and dirty. I'd like to avoid replacing the connector if possible. My thought was to carefully remove the metal connectors from the nylon housing, apply some white vinegar to them with a Q-tip, maybe use an emery board, then blast the clean with electrical contact cleaner to remove any non-conductive buildup on the spots that will contact the male header pins on the new power supply board. Will using white vinegar as a weak acid effectively clean up these female contacts? Is using an emery board to sand the contacts a bad idea?

Thanks!

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

Can someone please confirm the AWG of the wires on a Williams System 9 that go from the transformer to GI INPUT on the power supply (the two yellow wires)?

I believe that it's an 18 gauge wire.

Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

I'd like to avoid replacing the connector if possible.

Why. The brown coloring is not dirt and age, it has been overheated for a very long time and is going to melt and wreck the power supply circuit board. You need to replace the connector and the header pins too.

Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

Will using white vinegar as a weak acid effectively clean up these female contacts? Is using an emery board to sand the contacts a bad idea?

Yes, bad idea. All this will do is make it worse. It's a dollar's worth of parts, just replace them.

#3 4 years ago

Ok thanks for the advice. I'll replace it. Pardon my ignorance here but which circled part number on the photo is the correct one? I know these connectors come in two different sizes. I want to make sure I order the right size for the power supply connector. I know it's 9-pin but what guage? Aside from part numbers I don't see any other indication in the manual regarding the specs on each connector.

Essentially is it .100 or .156 for the GI power supply connector?

Screenshot_20190913-131808 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190913-131808 (resized).jpg

#4 4 years ago

I got it, it's .156.

#6 4 years ago

Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Machine - For Sale
Boise, ID
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wire-awg-and-contact-cleaning-qeustions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.