(Topic ID: 231308)

Starting to get some clues, any more tips? Gottlieb!

By JDGravina

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by erak
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Ok major newbie here, not looking for any detailed diagnosis. The right slingshot on my #Wipeout is not firing. When the ball hits the rubber it does trigger score and sounds for the slingshot, but the coil doesn't fire.

I'm not knowledgable enough to really diagnose the problem. Anyone have any really simple things to check before I pay a tech to come out and look at it? Like specific switches to look at (are their some up line in the switch matrix that could effect this), a fuse, or something specific to check quickly? It does have LED's in it, which I heard can cause some problems in these.

Thanks for any ideas!

#2 5 years ago

I believe on Gottlieb machines, if the slingshot switches are stuck closed, the machine removes power from the coil. Look at the two metal blade sets sticking up behind the rubber. Each set has 2 metal blades. They should be gapped. If they are touching, they need to be adjusted. A ball hitting the rubber should close the switch.
ANY ADJUSTMENTS SHOULD BE MADE WITH THE MACHINE POWER OFF.
Might be easier to see with the plastic removed from the sling.

#3 5 years ago

Thanks, that's exactly the type of thing I'm looking for, although no luck. The switches were adjusted pretty well.

I may add the coil doesn't fire in the test mode either, if that makes a difference.

Any other ideas would be appreciated! Thanks for your time!

#4 5 years ago

Next I would inspect the coil, look for a loose wire, broken wire. Does the mech move freely by hand? Any burn marks or discoloration on the wrapper? If all checks our underneath, it may be a board issue.

1 week later
#5 5 years ago

Thanks for the reply! So... the mech didn't move by hand. The coil was completely jammed up. So I replaced the coil and thought for sure it would fire right up. Now it moves freely but still doesn't fire, darn it. Appreciate your help!

#6 5 years ago

I'm going to be working on this tonight? Anyone more ideas? What fuse should I check? Surely no chance that led's in the inserts would effect them right? If someone is super bored and wants to send some texts back and forth to try to help me out, that would be awesome! Long shot but figured I'd try.

#7 5 years ago

So the fuse was blown. When I put a new fuse in it and went to the self check, it was just scrolling through continuously, as if I was pushing the right flipper (the flipper was not firing). If I unhooked the wires to the coil it would stop and I could go through the self test normally. That means I have a short somewhere right?

Any thoughts!? Please!!??

#8 5 years ago

The transistor that controls that coil is more than likely cooked.

Look in the blackbox on the boards for it.

But it probably cooked originally from mis-adjusted or a broken/shorted wire on the switches for that slingshot. Or a bad/missing diode if it's supposed to have one

Check the switch gaps. Really good.
Flipper buttons gap too, for the menu scrolling issue

Get the schematic to tell you what transistor it is. If it can't be visibly seen to be bad/fried easily.

Good luck

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wipeout-slingshot-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.