(Topic ID: 69277)

Wipe Out - Just bought one and seems to be a sleeper. Fun game!

By PoMC

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by StevenP
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5618.JPG
IMG_5627.JPG
IMG_5624.JPG
IMG_5625.JPG
IMG_5617.JPG
IMG_5614.JPG
image-774.jpg
image-605.jpg
image-428.jpg
image-23.jpg
image.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Bought a Gottleib/Premier Wipe Out on Sunday for $650. Was flip flopping a few days before pulling the trigger and very happy I did.

Wipe Out is a LOT of fun with the ski lift and eye catchinginteractive slalom ramp. My family really loves it and it's a hit with my 17 year old and his friends too. "A lot more forgiving than Black Knight 2000" is what I was told. Even won my wife over because she was not happy that I will need to sell Party Animal in order to make this an even swap.

I only had to fix a drop target, replace a few bulbs and give the playfield a light cleaning. The lower return ramp that feeds to the right flipper was cracked and previously repaired, which I didn't mind. But I did find a NOS ramp for $30, so I ordered it and should have it soon. Also the pop bumpers seem to have touchy bulb sockets, so may just replace them as it seems I can't adjust them well enough to not have to slide the glass off every other day to move the bulb into position to light back up.

LEDs really make the playfield and toys look terrific. I had leftover LEDs from SST and BK2K and added blue under the slings, colored under the slalom gates, whites under the mountains to brighten them up and greens up at the ski lift shot since the playfield graphics are green there.

Only the last pic with the new instruction cards shows LEDs installed, will have to take updated pics tonight. First pics were taken when I got it home.

At this price point, I would highly recommend Wipe Out as an addition to a line up or as an only pin.

It's a DMD, cool interactive toys, catchy music, amusing and clear sounding audio and callouts, fun and challenging modes, shots for all skill levels and great looking playfield with colored LEDs.

image.jpgimage.jpg
image-23.jpgimage-23.jpg
image-428.jpgimage-428.jpg
image-605.jpgimage-605.jpg
image-774.jpgimage-774.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Also need to remove the red film over the DMD. Just found out it is just a film taped over. Not a fan of the red DMD and it doesn't match the game IMO. Are there blue films? Wondering how that would look since it matches the game colors and snow theme better.

#3 10 years ago

I think it's a lot of fun too and between the ski lift and the mini-playfield has some great, unusual stuff going on. The theme is also fun - that snowboarding era was the best. I'd pick one up in a heartbeat if I could find one. Congrats!

#4 10 years ago

I haven't got my fingers on her buttons yet but the game always intrigued me when I first got into pinball with the ski lift and all I liked it and still wana play one looks like a fun keeper.

#5 10 years ago

Blue Film won't work, orange light doesn't pass through blue film. The red plastic was factory. As far as the pop bumper sockets, with the game off, grab a set of needle nose pliers or a dental pick and pull that bottom tab that is (under the main metal base) upwards. It is a pretty cheap design, and that bottom tab tends to sag via gravity over the years.

Congrats on the pickup, it is a fun game, and is a fun mulitplayer game as well.

#6 10 years ago

That's a nice find

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Blue Film won't work, orange light doesn't pass through blue film. The red plastic was factory. As far as the pop bumper sockets, with the game off, grab a set of needle nose pliers or a dental pick and pull that bottom tab that is (under the main metal base) upwards. It is a pretty cheap design, and that bottom tab tends to sag via gravity over the years.
Congrats on the pickup, it is a fun game, and is a fun mulitplayer game as well.

Thanks, that's what I was doing because it seemed the only adjustment possible with these smart switches. I also used pliers to make the socket tighter around the bulb. Seemed to have the problem fixed when I switched back from LEDs to regular bulbs. When I got the game the bumper bulbs were out and I just replaced with LEDs, so no idea if the original bulbs worked and weren't making connection. When the normal bulbs lasted longer without issue I assumed it was the LED bases just not fitting well.

But last night 2 of them went out again. Will have to remove the switches from the bumper bodies so I can really get the tabs up. I can see the middle of the tabs sag a little, so really need to get leverage and straighten them out versus just pulling up.

#8 10 years ago

Wipeout is underrated..... gets a bad rap because its Gottlieb/Premier but is really a fun game for the price

#9 10 years ago

I was next in line to get that pin from the guy in md. Glad it went to a good home! Congrats

#10 10 years ago

Removed the red film behind the DMD and it's such an improvement. The animations aren't the best on this game - the avalanche and skiiing are too busy to be clear and the red film just doesn't help. Plus the film can slightly buckle or warp which doesn't look too great either.

Last two pics I'm holding the red film over the left side of the display to show the difference.

IMG_5614.JPGIMG_5614.JPG
IMG_5617.JPGIMG_5617.JPG
IMG_5624.JPGIMG_5624.JPG
IMG_5625.JPGIMG_5625.JPG

One more without the red film
IMG_5618.JPGIMG_5618.JPG

#11 10 years ago

LEDs installed - looks much better in person without the camera making lighting corrections.

IMG_5627.JPGIMG_5627.JPG
#12 10 years ago

Great find on a great pin! Its a fun game that wont be leaving the collection soon.

#13 10 years ago

Neighbor has one, good pick up fun change of pace. I like the steal the multiball.

#14 10 years ago

Just goes to show ya: there are lots of very fun pins out there that don't cost a lot!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wipe-out-fun-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.