Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200828_081353 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200228_213420167 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200227_020041756 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200226_215853696 (resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

The ski lift belt on my Wipe out snapped. Steve Young, Marco no seemed to have this part. I bought a used one Pinside that would work, but for how long? So I decided to see if I could fabricate a new one. So I measured the belt and did some hunting for something similar. I needed a 28" long, 1-1/2" wide belt. The closest thing I could find was a 280J16 belt. Then I needed 16x 1" holes in it. At first I thought I would clamp it between some wood and drill it through, but I worried this would fray the inner fabric of the belt. So I ordered a 1" leather/rubber punch.

Parts:
280J16 Belt - https://beltpalace.com/280j16.html
1" Leather Punch - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004T7WH

IMG_20200226_215853696 (resized).jpgIMG_20200226_215853696 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

16 holes and a broken punch later and I had a new belt. My technique improved as I went. The first hole took about 10 minutes of hammering, then I learned to come in with a slight angle so the punch isn't trying to do all the work at once.

IMG_20200227_020041756 (resized).jpgIMG_20200227_020041756 (resized).jpg
#3 4 years ago

Installed it in the game and we are back in action! It was difficult to get the belt on the first time, since it's a pretty tight fit. After fighting with it for a bit, we soaked the belt in hot water for 10 minutes then made another attempt which was much more successful.

IMG_20200228_213420167 (resized).jpgIMG_20200228_213420167 (resized).jpg
#4 4 years ago

Good job on the fabrication. You could make a few more and sell them to other owners of that game.

#5 4 years ago

I may do that down the road, but figured for now document it and at least the info is out there now.

5 months later
#6 3 years ago

Great ingenuity. Certainly an important part most owners of this title will want in their spare parts.

Congrats to you and the other members of WMPC. Very nice line up.

#7 3 years ago

Impressive to say the least!!!

I had one of these a few years back, sold to amkoepfer in Toledo who I think sold it again a while back. Nice game. Good shape. Fun to play. Modern Gottlieb detractors be damned.

I concur with the suggestion of making some of these and selling them. If I still had the game I would certainly buy a couple. Also, maybe you could sell them to PBR or Marco. Better yet do an exclusive with someone!! Very nice

#8 3 years ago

Is the original belt thinner? I was thinking it was one of those .030" thick flat belts. I can contact my belt supplier and see what they can do. I am willing to make some up to supply the community if I can find an exact match.

20200828_081353 (resized).jpg20200828_081353 (resized).jpg
#9 3 years ago
Quoted from FunkyFreshWalrus:

Installed it in the game and we are back in action! It was difficult to get the belt on the first time, since it's a pretty tight fit. After fighting with it for a bit, we soaked the belt in hot water for 10 minutes then made another attempt which was much more successful.[quoted image]

I would think you could also use the old motorcycle tire changing trick of laying the belt (or tire) out in the sun for 30 minutes on nice sunny day--really gets the rubber pliable.

8 months later
#10 2 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Is the original belt thinner? I was thinking it was one of those .030" thick flat belts. I can contact my belt supplier and see what they can do. I am willing to make some up to supply the community if I can find an exact match.

Yes, the original belt is much thinner than the belt I used. If I could have found a thinner one I would have, but I just figured it would last that much longer before it broke again.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 49.95
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 15.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wipe-out-broken-conveyer-belt-game-over-man and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.