You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

U10 schematic.jpg
U10 board.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Morning!
Me and a friend aquired a Gottlieb WipeOut last week, the owner had owned it for 5 years and played it for like 5-6 times, so a bit dirty and some scratches in the inlanes due to no mylar where the ball drops from the habitrails, but else nice!

We had to replace the lithium with a batterypack 2xAA, and everything works except:

There is no music. We get callouts and some sound effects, but no music. I have read some other topics but not really gotten that much wiser, so thought Id ask myself, since its just the music that is missing.

Anybody have any idea to the problem, or any things I should to check and report back?
I assume its something with A6 sound board, and maybe U9 or U10?

Thanks!

#2 9 years ago

Did you perform a factory reset?

viperrwk

#3 9 years ago

Yeah, did that after we inserted the new batterypack. I see you have answered a lot of gottlieb system 3 posts, Viperrwk, you seem to have much experience with them?

#4 9 years ago

Did you run the sound test and get all the tones on the control lines? Are both LEDs on the sound and aux sound boards blinking? Have you checked the voltages from the aux power supply and are they ok?

If the answer is yes to all the next easiest thing to do is reseat all the connectors. After that, pull the ROMs and verify them. If after all that it's still not working, then the next likely suspect is one of the RAMs on the sound board. If I had to guess I would say H2 but without using Marco's test ROM its just a guess.

This site is mostly populated by B/W/Stern fans. There is little love around here for the other makes. The people who are most likely to help you with your problem responded to your post in the other thread.

viperrwk

#5 9 years ago

Thank you so much, will go through those things tomorrow, and eventually report back

Im totally new to Gottlieb, so its...much to learn

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

After that, pull the ROMs and verify them

Btw, how do you exactly "verify" a ROM?

#7 9 years ago

Need a ROM burner and the correct image file to compare it to.

viperrwk

#8 9 years ago

Alright, a small update:

I was at our game room and started up Wipe Out. At first both the callouts, sounds and music was working! The game was working as it should for about 1-2 minutes, both sound boards was blinking.

Then the music was suddenly gone, and not long after the sound and callouts were also gone. There was no light on the top sound board, and on the music sound board (A6) the red light was on constantly, not blinking.

After turning the machine off, waiting a while and then turning the machine on, the sound and music works again for a while until the above happens and all goes silent again.

Does this indiciate something specific error?

Cheers,
Morten

#9 9 years ago

Did you check all the voltages?

viperrwk

2 weeks later
#10 9 years ago

Update coming.

Post edited by Edenecho: Noobness-filled post

1 week later
#11 9 years ago

Okay, voltages checked:

1. The 5V pin on P1 on the auxilliary sound board, and P2 on the sound Board was way too high, around 6.22V. I adjusted the 5V knob, so now the voltages are 5.01 in both places. -12.01 and 12.01 on the same P1,P2 and P1 on the aux power supply. So the voltages seem fine?

2. On booting the machine, I hear two beeps, but only the Sound Board LED is blinking, not the aux sound board. When I start the game, the sound board LED is not flashing, just solid red, and ome garbled sounds are coming out. U9 is rather warm on touching it.

How should I proceed next?
Should I test something related to U9,U10, VR1 and VR2 before for exampe replacing U9 and U10?

Sincerely thanks,
Morten

#12 9 years ago

Run the sound test. See if you get the tones on all 8 lines - this insures that the CPU board VIA is properly communicating with the sound board. If you don't get the tones it could be a problem with the VIA on the CPU board or (more likely) a problem with the aux sound board since the LED is not blinking. Could also be RAM on the sound board - unfortunately, without a test ROM there's little you can do to diagnose the problem other than swapping out the ROMs and shotgunning components.

viperrwk

#13 9 years ago

Right, Ill give the test sounds a shot, and report back. Tempting to just order new aux sound board, but guess its worth troubleshooting some more hehe.

Still a stranger to some abbreviations appaently..what does VIA mean?

Thanks!
Morten

#14 9 years ago

VIA stands for "versatile interface adapter". There are two on the CPU board. One controls the switches and the other is for the sounds. If it goes bad you won't get sounds but truthfully they rarely go bad.

viperrwk

#15 9 years ago

Todays status:
Ran the sound test, got all 8 tones. So the CPU is communicating with the sound board.
So then I guess its time to start shotgunning components. Gathered some tips Ive read here:

1. 5V pot: Since the 5V is getting into the boards I guess its no use replacing this?
2. Ribbon cable between A6-A20: Think I'll replace this, some pins were shady. Just gotta order it.
4. Check 5V on pin 1 on U10. According to schematics, Pin 6 is DC ground, but I cant see specified exactly which pin is 1 and 6 on U10? Is there a universal way the pins are numbered?
5. VR1 / VR2: Diode test these two to see if they arent dead?
6. Capactors: Diode test some of these on Aux sound board?

Tried with no success:
3. U9 gets real hot. Replaced with a new IC but no success.
--
If I can somehow pinpoint if the problem is on A6 or A20, then at least I dont need to buy two new boards just to be sure. Since the LED gets solid or off on Sound board when starting a game, but blinking before, could this still be because of the aux sound board?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to learn and possibly others can get help from this in the future

U10 board.jpgU10 board.jpg
U10 schematic.jpgU10 schematic.jpg

1 week later
#16 9 years ago

Update:
U9 has been replaced, unfortunately that did not change anything, so Ill cross that out of the list.
Since the 5V comes ito the aux sound board connector, but the board does not blink or has a light, I am thinking it might be the transistor or some component on it not holding up the 5V? hmmmm.

#17 9 years ago

The 5v that lights the LED comes in on P1 on the aux sound board. Some components on the aux sound board are powered by this 5v, some are powered from the 5v produced by the 7805 (VR2) on the aux sound board. There is no transistor on the board that holds up the 5v on this board. If the LED isn't blinking it could be U2 or U3 on the aux sound board but honestly, this is speculation. Without using a test rom and looking at interboard communicaitons you'll likely continue to shotgun unsuccessfully.

viperrwk

#18 9 years ago

I guess I was thinking about V2, if that being dead could cause the 5v not to reach further and therefore the led not blinking.

On a sidenote: Any idea where to buy a better replacement for the 5v Trim Pot? Cant seem to find it anywhere.

3 weeks later
#19 9 years ago

Just thought id wrap this up (for now):

I ordered a new Sound board and Aux sound board from pinballlife. Put in the new boards, and guess what? I got full sound and music!

So, that waa the expensive and quick solution. Now when i have time I might swap out the boards and try to find exactly which old board is faulty, and then try to find what component is faulty.

But for now, it works Time is money.

4 months later
#20 8 years ago

Have you had a chance to narrow down the issue on the original boards? Just curious.

#21 8 years ago

Hi!
Unfortunately no, but thats just due to lack of time/hazzle. I "restored" an x files and am helping a friend with a Bow and Arrow, so the time in between work and life has gone to that. But actually I was thinking some weeks ago that I really should at least swap out each of the boards and test them with one of the new that works to determine which of the sound boards is faulty. then maybe Ill just send it to someone in the US that can fix it, and perhaps sell the boards.

But I learned alot while checking and searching for the fault through the above posts

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PENNSYLVANIA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wipe-out-all-works-but-no-music and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.