1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by slochar
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20220327_010625982.MP (resized).jpg
    PXL_20220326_221735727.MP (resized).jpg
    PXL_20220327_010642286 (resized).jpg
    #1 1 year ago

I apologize if this is the wrong subforum for this, it just seemed like the best fit. This isn't a finished product (and may never be), but I did want to gauge potential interest in what I'm doing.

So, like most of you, I've seen the shiny new 2.0 conversions for games such as BOP and Funhouse. While these are cool and I'm not disparaging them, playing my local place's BOP after it was converted to 2.0 left me with conflicted feelings. While the updated display was neat, a lot of the original game's soul was gone. These games were products of a very specific time and place, and completely rewriting them from scratch loses some of the magic associated with that. I would have liked something that added some modern flair while keeping the original rules and display style intact.

This got me thinking. After playing around with PinMAME's display API for a couple nights, I was able to hook it up to Unity, and combining it with some generic art off the web allowed me to do this:

This is a stock Earthshaker ROM running with an animated color display. By reading the state of the AN display data, I can also trigger new animations (in this case, the shaking Earthshaker logo) based on the state of the game - just like a DMD. But the original rules and associated alphanumeric animations are left in place. The soul's still there!

Obviously the next step would be to do this with a physical machine, which I started doing with the help of the excellent MattG and his Bad Cats:

PXL_20220326_221735727.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20220326_221735727.MP (resized).jpg

PXL_20220327_010625982.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20220327_010625982.MP (resized).jpg

PXL_20220327_010642286 (resized).jpgPXL_20220327_010642286 (resized).jpg

My plan here is to directly read the 16 segment data being sent from the MPU with the Arduino, which in turn would send the data over COM (same as PinMAME) to be received by the display running Unity. In these pictures it's my Dell, but eventually I'm hoping to use a Windows tablet (maybe an older model Surface Pro?) that would be mounted in place of the old AN display. This would be a drop-in add on for the game; there would be (hopefully) no need to replace the MPU or any other part of of the board set.

I made it halfway there - I was able to read the digit strobe lines by attaching wires to Arduino interrupt pins, but had trouble reading the associated segment data, and received constant low signals for every segment line. I found at PinFest that this is probably because there is a propagation delay from the associated PIA, and will likely have to programmatically accommodate this in my interrupt handler (thanks @slochar!).

(See this thread for more info: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/converting-from-alpha-numeric-to-lcd)

This leaves me with these questions:

1. Would others be interested in using something like this in their games? I think I am more likely than not just going open source all of my stuff instead of trying to make a commercial product out of this, so hopefully between the Arduino, tablet and wiring/mounting hardware, the total cost would be somewhere in the ballpark of 150, which is less than the cost of most replacement led displays.

2. Are there others with experience with the system 11 (and maybe early WPC?) display setup who can assist with the wiring/Arduino stuff? Is there any reason that what I'm trying to do won't work? I'm more of a software guy than a hardware guy, though I know some basic stuff from working on my own games.

Let me know what you think, folks. I'm curious to find out if it's worth moving forward with this...

#2 1 year ago

Yes, it's very important to keep the original game intact in these remakes. I started this trend over a decade ago in virtual pinball, when I remade The Addams Family adding a new audio package and new features. Later I remade Bally's Flash Gordon, but this time added the option to switch back and forth using a 'Modern/Retro' switch to keep the original audio and code intact (go to 34 secs in this vid to see the effect).

For those attempting to follow in my footsteps, it's not easy I can tell you, switching from the original game to a modern remaster at any time. And currently impossible in the real world to also switch the display from gas segment to DMD and back again. But as you've demonstrated, it's possible with a little creative thinking.

#3 1 year ago

Glad to help. Will likely try this in my earthshaker when it's time to integrate.

I have a logic analyzer that's begging to be actually used if you need some timing stuff. Ditto with a scope.

#4 1 year ago

I am following this with great interest. Bad Cats has a lot of spare space in the ROM. It is definitely possible to add additional triggers, perhaps using short pulses of the periods in the displays, to signal certain game conditions to the external hardware. I could also do this for PinBot --- I have long thought that it would be awesome to have an upper PF that lights up internally with the robot girl every time a ball goes up the ramp. Would love to help to make something like that happen.

#5 1 year ago

Following!

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from idealjoker:

I am following this with great interest. Bad Cats has a lot of spare space in the ROM. It is definitely possible to add additional triggers, perhaps using short pulses of the periods in the displays, to signal certain game conditions to the external hardware. I could also do this for PinBot --- I have long thought that it would be awesome to have an upper PF that lights up internally with the robot girl every time a ball goes up the ramp. Would love to help to make something like that happen.

I’d be glad to help with that and have both a Bad Cats and Pinbot.

#7 1 year ago

Thanks for the response everyone! I was working further with the Bad Cats today and got the Arduino sending dummy data to be displayed on my laptop. Hopefully I'll have something more substantial to show soon.

Quoted from slochar:

Glad to help. Will likely try this in my earthshaker when it's time to integrate.
    I have a logic analyzer that's begging to be actually used if you need some timing stuff. Ditto with a scope.

That might come in handy soon.

Quoted from idealjoker:

Ooh. Now that's an idea. Would be neat to add text animations for recognizing when balls are locked/multiball starts. Could change the looping background animation. But that would require a ROM hack, which is a complicated beast unto itself.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rolpa:

Ooh. Now that's an idea. Would be neat to add text animations for recognizing when balls are locked/multiball starts. Could change the looping background animation. But that would require a ROM hack, which is a complicated beast unto itself.

Not a big rom hack.... Change the text to something you can recognize with your Arduino and do your change. Show the original text instead of the trigger text.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wip-project-drop-in-animated-color-display-for-williams-an-games and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.