Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by dmacy
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20140802_113313.jpg
    20140801_194836.jpg
    20140801_194852.jpg
    100_4388.JPG
    IMG_7633.JPG
    IMG_7645.JPG
    IMG_7637.JPG
    20140727_222753.jpg
    There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 years ago

Anyone here going? This is my first time going and it looks like it will be fun.

#2 9 years ago

I will be there! Lots of stuff but mostly videos. I already have a firm parking lot deal for a BSD unless the other combo deal goes thru. Go early enough to check everything out and bring a long power cord strip. Power is not on every machine but in drop downs so you need to often plus in and unroll your cord to plug in the pin or video game.

#3 9 years ago

I will be there looking for a another driving game.

#4 9 years ago

I'm going to do my best to make it. I'm from Martinsville, VA, don't know why this thing says Dickens, NE. I saved my settings but oh well. I'll be working in Durham Friday night til 8AM and have to scoot out to get to WS in time. I'll be pulling a trailer to haul in case I ourchase. However it doesn't have suspension and is straight axle. You guys who have more experience transporting these things; is this okay for hauling a pin or should I make another arrangement?

2 weeks later
    #5 9 years ago

I'll be there probably selling a multicade and 1983 PacMan (to make room for more pins). Anyone want to get together for lunch?

#6 9 years ago

I'm down with that. It'd be cool to meet some peeps. Trying to get off work early Friday night so I can nap some before heading out to WS. Otherwise its get off work at 8AM in Durham and ride out to the auction. Ever seen a Sentra pull a trailer?

#7 9 years ago

Those of you that have attended this auction before, do they clearly point out when the current owner of the pin being auctioned is bidding on their own game? Or does it appear you are bidding against another buyer?

This whole aspect of pinball auctions make me never want to attend one. It seems crooked to me. Set a reserve and if bidding never gets there, call no sale like all reputable auctions.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from Schwaggs:

do they clearly point out when the current owner of the pin being auctioned is bidding on their own game? Or does it appear you are bidding against another buyer?
    T

No they don't. Basically there's no real penalty for a seller to bid up their own machine so you're really participating in an auction with an unlisted minimum. I understand why they do it. They get more games on the floor that way. It is a bit underhanded though. You can usually get a better price with no taxes/fees if you meet the owner before the auction gets to the pins (or whatever they're selling) and arrange a price one-on-one. Of course you need to have cash on hand then.

Still, it's a lot of fun and a great chance to see/play a lot of games in one place. Being local I go to every one just to see what's there. I'm not sure if I'd make the drive if we still lived in Durham.

By the way, anyone bringing down games for the parking lot swap meet?

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from Schwaggs:

Those of you that have attended this auction before, do they clearly point out when the current owner of the pin being auctioned is bidding on their own game? Or does it appear you are bidding against another buyer?

You are always bidding against another buyer. Very likely when it's down to you and one other person that "other buyer" was the guy that owned the machine when it came into the building. Unless that guy walks up to you with a gun or in some way forces you to bid more than you are willing to pay for the machine I honestly see nothing wrong with the practice. A lot of the times the owner will go one bid too many and will get stuck with keeping the machine instead of a nice cash payday so it honestly works both ways.

#10 9 years ago

To me, this is nothing more than shill bidding and there is something wrong with it so I will not participate. I bet that in some parts of the country, this practice may be illegal. But that's what makes America great, there is no one forcing me to participate in that process!

#11 9 years ago

It's fun to go play games and shoot the breeze with other pin-heads but there aren't really any good deals other than the parking lot variety.

#12 9 years ago

Guys, the shill bidding conversation has been beat to death on this site and RGP. Its the way it is. I hate it too but there is nothing you can do. If you cant stand it, dont go to the auction. That simple. Lets not waste space b&tching about it here.

Good luck to everyone going!

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from TomT:

It's fun to go play games and shoot the breeze with other pin-heads but there aren't really any good deals other than the parking lot variety.

Exactly the point. I have never understood the mentality of people that show up to an auction, and they look around and realize there a couple of hundred other people there the same as them, and then get upset because the obviously sought-after item(s) sitting in the middle of the room went for a high price? Kind of like everyone got up early that morning to stand around a stinky warehouse and waste their Saturday to spectate while that person got a great deal right in front of them??

#14 9 years ago

I will be there for sure. Always a fun time!

#15 9 years ago

I haven't been in a few years. Last time I was at the W/S auction I had to turn down a nice T2 for $800.. it actually sold for about the same during the auction. But.. when you don't have the money, $800 might as well have been $8000.. cuz either way I was broke LOL

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from TomT:

Absolutely spot-on. If you look at it as a fun day of playing a grab-bag of games with an entertaining auction in the background you won't be disappointed. Part of the fun is just seeing what shows up and meeting some very interesting folks. Some auctions have had 40+ pins from all eras and conditions while others have had a dozen beaters. Rarely you might actually find a good deal, but don't go expecting that unless you've arranged for something in the parking lot ahead of time.

By the way, I'll be the guy with the 8-month-old in tow. Gotta get him started early if he's to be the Tiger Woods of PAPA!

#17 9 years ago

I have a few nice pins If someone is looking I could bring these to the auction for a parking lot deal.
    A new but opened ACDC LUCI with less than 50 plays and shaker motor please PM or call me 276-679-7779 Priced at only 6200

Tron Pro very nice with all the important mods (arcade and shaker motor) and the lovely blue side armour and legs. 2D girls translight priced at only 5500. If I had not picked up the other nice one from Skins I would not be selling this one but its cheaper and has again several of the key mods.

20140727_222753.jpg20140727_222753.jpg IMG_7637.JPGIMG_7637.JPG IMG_7645.JPGIMG_7645.JPG IMG_7633.JPGIMG_7633.JPG
    #18 9 years ago
    Quoted from doughslingers:

A new but opened ACDC LUCI with less than 50

Wish I had room for that Luci. With a Hobbit and MMRLE on the way I'm on a slippery slope (though not likely to ever catch up with you). The wife is still in love with your old Avatar LE by the way.

#19 9 years ago

I'll be there. Can bring a pretty nice Dr. Dude for a parking lot deal if anyone is interested!

#20 9 years ago

Wish I could be there, but we have family in town this weekend. I've already got the December one on the calendar though, so I'll be there.

#21 9 years ago

"Oh shit... you sendin in The Wolf.... shit.... that's all you had to say!"

#22 9 years ago

Would love to see you guys there, but we have workers at the house on Saturday. Catch you later.

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from packetpusher:

Wish I had room for that Luci. With a Hobbit and MMRLE on the way I'm on a slippery slope (though not likely to ever catch up with you). The wife is still in love with your old Avatar LE by the way.

I would love to have that Avatar back. Surprised it went there. I only can make 3 out of 4 Winston Salem auctions but had I been there I would have bid it up to 4500 knowing its history and mods. Heck I have tried to trade on my MMRLE or Hobbit spots without luck, but with cash coming back my way but really giving a good trade on Avatar. Glad someone who got the pin is enjoying it!

Did you get the special limited edition cup holder?

100_4388.JPG100_4388.JPG
    #24 9 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Wish I could be there, but we have family in town this weekend. I've already got the December one on the calendar though, so I'll be there.

This could be a great sale, as I might have to fire sale some pins! Sept and football is coming which takes away all my customers but the bank payments do NOT stop.

#25 9 years ago

Did you get the special limited edition cup holder?

Absolutely! There was an odd rattle when I brought it home from the auction. When I brought the game in the house and raised the playfield I found the bonus cupholder. Excellent!

#26 9 years ago

Buddy what are you bringing to the Line up at W/S
    Looking for a Woz

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from HOOKED:

Buddy what are you bringing to the Line up at W/S
    Looking for a Woz

I do not have any extra WOZ on hand. Willing to trade if anybody needs IM new in box. Could bring extra IM new in box as I got three more. Dropping off one in Roanoke early Sat morning then heading on down to the sale. Sure wish I could find an Avatar LE...

#28 9 years ago

I am bringing Jokerz and Demoman plus I listed a HUO LOTR with less than 600 plays plus a newly traded for ACDC premium as ACDC Luci is now sold. I will have some more maybe even AFM. In the past I let my 20 year old TAF with color DMD go at this sale as the commission cant be beat. Its less than the PayPal fee or credit card fee.

#29 9 years ago

PM sent on Jokerz.

#30 9 years ago

Just dropped off my vids for tomorrow. If the night before is any indication it's not going to be an exciting one tomorrow. 24 pins of which 3 are NIB. A few nice EM and wedge heads but no solid states worth putting in your home (besides the NIB Avengers, Avengers Premium and XM Wolverine). Actually the Railroad Tycoon stands out as the one in the best shape by far. The DE Star Wars is a real heart breaker for me.

20140801_194852.jpg20140801_194852.jpg 20140801_194836.jpg20140801_194836.jpg
    #31 9 years ago

I am coming with nice ones tomorrow.

#32 9 years ago

I am coming with nice ones tomorrow.

Oh boy! Oh boy!

#33 9 years ago

Is that a EATPM besides Southpark?

#34 9 years ago

Yep. That was nice to see. I didn't have time to plug that up and play it, but it looked pretty dirty.

#35 9 years ago

I see a Capcom Airborne!

#36 9 years ago

Hey it's Lori!

#37 9 years ago

Wish I could go, that airborne is interesting.

#38 9 years ago

Not to beat a horse to death but, usually, when a seller bids and buys his own game back they are charged a "buy back" fee. I think around $20-$40 per game.

#39 9 years ago

If anyone is there tomorrow, load the bases on that Line Drive and hit a homer up the ramp. Let me know if the fireworks, explosion and siren sounds all work. That is one hell of a pitch n bat machine. Wish I was closer.

#40 9 years ago

A really nice special Bally Williams pin is coming!

#41 9 years ago

Buddy, really want that tron! You need a TZ or taf ?

#42 9 years ago

A really nice special Bally Williams pin is coming!

Stop it!! I'm already having to clear space for the MMRLE and Hobbit coming later this year (or in 2 years whenever they get built) . I can't buy any more of your pristine games. Really. I mean I'm sure I can't.

How special did you say?

#43 9 years ago
    Quoted from packetpusher:

Stop it!! I'm already having to clear space for the MMRLE and Hobbit coming later this year (or in 2 years whenever they get built) . I can't buy any more of your pristine games. Really. I mean I'm sure I can't.
    How special did you say?

It's a sickness I tell you!! Wish I could make it to these auctions as it sounds like fun, even if you don't end up buying anything. Just a little to far (8+ hours)...

#44 9 years ago

I have never seen that place that empty...Assuming Dale Jr - Hulk and ACDC Prem all NIB to be bought back ....again lol.

#45 9 years ago

Whew. Just a beautiful AFM. If I didn't have RFM at home I'd be out a bunch of lunch money today.

20140802_113313.jpg20140802_113313.jpg
    #46 9 years ago

I hope B_R does a video of this....I know he's done some of the past auctions.

#47 9 years ago

Ah I should have before we left. There really wasn't much there besides what Buddy brought. His DM, ACDC, I've and AFM were the best there by far. We had to leave before they got to the pins so I didn't see what they went for.

#48 9 years ago

BR was not at this auction. No Video....

#49 9 years ago

Was that AFM picture from today or last night...room looks empty.

#50 9 years ago

From today. It was almost as empty today as it was earlier in the year when the auction was after a huge (for us) snow storm.

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/winston-salem-auction-aug-2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.