4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by lhammer610
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

huh.jpg

#1 4 years ago

I know the summer auctions are usually kind of small but wife and I are going hoping to pick up a few machines. Anyone else going?

#2 4 years ago

SFGE at the same time, might be ever smaller than usual.

#3 4 years ago

I thought of that too.

#4 4 years ago

Anyone??

#5 4 years ago

I should be there. Not looking to buy anything, however.

#6 4 years ago

We uaually go but we're at Southern fried.

#7 4 years ago

I will be there.

#8 4 years ago

If anyone wants to drive 2 hours from Winston towards the Mountains I've got a minty Wolverine LE (bought NIB) for sale. I'll even give you a free night in our rustic cabin if you'd like to break up the drive and stay the night! (we operate an RV Campground on the North Toe River)

#9 4 years ago

Some unusually good pins today and a smaller than usual crowd due to Southern Fried. I wasn't buying and left early, but some folks are going to walk away happy.

#10 4 years ago

I was afraid of that... I should have gone.

#11 4 years ago

Almost took a very long drive from PA for this one. Anyone have a list of what was there to make me worse about not going?

#12 4 years ago

Left early, what did WW sell for?

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from dpqrm:

Almost took a very long drive from PA for this one. Anyone have a list of what was there to make me worse about not going?

No kidding. I saw pictures on Facebook. I was going to go for the first and talked myself out of it, damn.

#14 4 years ago

Swords of Fury sold for $1400

#15 4 years ago

Anyone have prices.

#16 4 years ago

WW sold for 3900. My wife recorded all the prices but we just got back and she hit the sack. Got to get to work tomorrow at 4 am. Can't find list now but will post tomorrow.

#17 4 years ago

That was a great WH20! I would have been all over that if I didn't already have one.

#18 4 years ago

WH2O was mine, and the only pin I bought back today. Prices on most of the pins were crazy. That ToM had a broken trunk gearbox, bunch of fade, and a giant security hasp that you would need magic to undo. $4500+ fees.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from ReplayRyan:

Prices on most of the pins were crazy. That ToM had a broken trunk gearbox, bunch of fade, and a giant security hasp that you would need magic to undo. $4500+ fees.

huh.jpg

#20 4 years ago

Here are the prices before and after fees. I'm just listing a few titles.

BEFORE FEES AFTER FEES

Corvette 2300 2760
    T3 1600 1920
    Addams 4800 5760
    TOM 4500 5400
    Tommy 2500 3000
    No Fear 2100 2520
    Whitewater 3900 4680
    Star Trek 3750 4500
    Johnny 1900 2280
    Circus Voltaire 6000 7200
    Road Show 2200 2640
    No Fear 2000 2400

#21 4 years ago

No deals in that list except maybe T3 and RS depending on condition. I'm going to guess most of those were buybacks

#22 4 years ago

Corvette was a buy back .

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

No deals in that list except maybe T3 and RS depending on condition. I'm going to guess most of those were buybacks

That's why I don't go anymore.

#24 4 years ago

Glad I stayed home .....

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from Skyemont:

That's why I don't go anymore.

Ditto. I don't know why they even call it an auction. It's more like "Come pay us to sell you a game, unless the seller doesn't like the price".

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from PaulLang76:

Ditto. I don't know why they even call it an auction. It's more like "Come pay us to sell you a game, unless the seller doesn't like the price".

Stop the seller buybacks and see if they sell their games at the auction anymore. They should just clean them up and sell them on Ebay. Auctions use to be wholesale pricing. That's long gone. It's now more like retail after fees, hotel, gas, etc.

#27 4 years ago

Yeah, I bought one pin there some time ago, and I overpaid for it. Rookie mistake. There are occasional bargains, but they seem increasingly infrequent. I didn't stick around for the auction and am disappointed that it didn't work out for some friends who were in the hunt. I had hoped they might come away with a deal or two. I guess not.

#28 4 years ago

Never been before, but can I ask who are the buyers of these games? Are they like one and done first time buyers? People who buy high add some a LEDs and try to sell at full retail prices? Bashers?

#29 4 years ago

Apparently I sold my TAF for about $1,000 too little.

#30 4 years ago

The "Auction" is a place to play a few pins and meet a few pinheads .... Nothing More!!

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Never been before, but can I ask who are the buyers of these games? Are they like one and done first time buyers? People who buy high add some a LEDs and try to sell at full retail prices? Bashers?

Majority of the higher auction priced games are buybacks so the "buyer" is the seller. Auction Game Sales who runs the auction only charges a seller a $10 fee for buybacks and the practice is not discouraged. Every once in awhile an honest seller like Buddy (Doughslinger) will bring some good games but in the past 5 years or more I only go to play some games and hang out with friends.

The vids, jukes and redemption games are much more prevalent and I don't think the buyback phenomenon is as common so if you're after a video it's a good auction. But most of the better pin deals are made in the parking lot before and after.

#32 4 years ago

It is what it is. The reason the prices used to be wholesale is because the auction was predominantly for people 'in the business'. Operators selling their equipment to other operators.

The 'buyback' fee is done the way it's done for a number of reasons... mainly, because it's the easiest way to do it! In order for them to not allow buybacks, they'd have to keep track of who's selling each item (on the fly) and make sure that person doesn't bid on that particular item, but can bid on any other item. The reason the fee is $10 is because if you're in the business your fee is $10 to buy anything there.

So although the buyback thing works to their advantage, the main reason they allow it is because it's simple and they don't have to keep track of it. If they disallowed it the sellers would just have their friend buy the game back. The reason the fee is $10 (it's $10 even if you buy something for $20... so if your bid is under $100 you actually come out upside down)... is to encourage people 'in the business' to show up at the auction and do business.

The whole model has changed to where very few people in the business go and sell, so there's many less items for sale. Almost all of the people there are hobbyists or home buyers, who will spend crazy money on games that are almost always broke in one way or the other.

Personally I don't see the auctions staying around much longer, although maybe they're making serious money off the high prices and the buyers premium...

#33 4 years ago

Yah, no. Buybacks are skeezy. Set a reserve, having guys bid up the price on their own games should be fraud.

In terms of enforcing it, it's a small community. Of course it's a bigger headache for the action house, but they'll make more money selling to actual people instead of dealers. Between the small community, and the fact that shill bidding is usually pretty obvious, you'd find at least some of these guys.

And if nobody would bring games if buybacks don't exist, that's okay too. No auction is better than a crooked auction.

Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

The 'buyback' fee is done the way it's done for a number of reasons... mainly, because it's the easiest way to do it! In order for them to not allow buybacks, they'd have to keep track of who's selling each item (on the fly) and make sure that person doesn't bid on that particular item, but can bid on any other item.

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from ReplayRyan:

WH2O was mine, and the only pin I bought back today.

I was there and saw your WH2O. A nice Yeti conversion (although I prefer mine stock). A lot of people noticed that the header did not have the 'water flow' effect . Many LEDS in the header appeared to be burned out, too. Those bulbs operate at a higher 14 v voltage than the standard switched bulbs. Can those LEDs you used handle that voltage?
    I do not know if LEDs will create the 'flow' on that header or not.

I would respectfully suggest putting standard #194 bulbs in there to restore that really cool effect.

Best of luck to you.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 21.00
    $ 115.00
    Boards
    AMCO
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Professor Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 229.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 7.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 53.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 49.00
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 10.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 109.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 221.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Tilted Pinball
    $ 49.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Interactive
    Pinball Z
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pin Monk
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside