• Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8C2A94A9-7DC4-488D-A80D-0EE53105CCAE (resized).jpeg
1697CB7B-FF55-4F0F-BAD9-6CB77FC8F2B3 (resized).jpeg
WozBurntCoil (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider elf70.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

I have been having issues with the ball getting stuck lately on the left top of the Winkie Guard (during multiball).
The coil energizes to reset the drop (up) but the ball gets stuck between the clear plastic shield and the left top of the Winkie Guard
drop target
After the other balls drain, the ball search finally releases the stuck ball. So this coil may be energized for a few minutes or more.
This has happened a few times before.
Well tonight I smelled something burning and shut off the game.
The next day, went to play and the Winkie drop would not drop when struck.
The coil sleeve had melted inside the coil. The metal plunger was bound inside of that melted sleeve.
The coil was pretty much toast too.
So once I get this new coil and sleeve (and possibly a new FET), anyone else every have this issue and
how they resolved it?

Exact same happened to me a couple times on my new WoZ, not too long ago - completely melted down the coil in the end. JJP support (Victor/Frank) sent me a whole new drop down target assembly, which required a bunch of soldering in the middle of the playfield of course since there are no connectors for this in there. I tried to suggest that perhaps the coil should not be repeatedly trying to push the target up if it is stuck to avoid melting/frying/catching fire/etc but they did not seem terribly interested in that at the time. (not enough reports of this i think was the response?!) I have since suggested it again a couple days ago. I have heard from someone else who said they immediately open the coin door or turn the machine off if this happens so as not to melt it down, but this is really a terrible solution, and I don't think its right that we would have to "babysit" our machines while anyone plays, keeping an eye out on the target ready to open a coin door or turn it off. This is clearly a defect in the handling of the machine and easily fixable through a code patch. I'd honestly suggest we all speak up on this to get it addressed.

For what its worth, my target is as flush with the playfield as possible, but the top is slightly angled forward so it can't be perfect. Definitely correct that a carefully balanced ball will stick there, although thats not how mine happened, it was simply a case of bad timing in the middle of the multiballs.

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Alight got a nice clear video of it... going onto youtube now.
Weird thing is that this time I managed to capture it with the exact same circumstances that in the past resulted in a normal (non-locking) reset. I'm kind of wondering if perhaps my switch needs to be adjusted now....
Anyway... maybe what the circumstance is is that if the Winki down has too much stroke past the switched position, it will never reset high enough with a ball there to clear the switched position and the coil will hold. The thing is that this is a very minute adjustment... so even if it is a switch adjustment issue, I think the software should be able to account for it by simply ALWAYS pulsing the reset and not relying on the Winki down switch position... possibly with a short (200ms or so) delay before reading the switch again.
ยป YouTube video

Awesome checking and video there. Are you able to email that straight to Keith?

Definitely needs to be fixed somehow with certainty - there is a potential for continued power to the coil melting it down until power is removed by an operator who knows what is going on, which is quite possibly (likely?) after damage has occurred and hopefully before a fire is started. At the very least there needs to be a software safety that disengages it after some attempts. Better if it can go into some kind of self-check mode after that where it does a quick check after a bit to see if it has freed up so that it can resume normal operation from the "degraded" mode it was put in by the safety.

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Thanks! I believe I am... at least it didn't get bounced back to me like my email to Jen... congrats to her BTW!
Yeah, exactly my thought too elf... in a home environment there is a good chance it will be caught and stopped before doing damage... but on location there is nobody to stop it and it will have to wait for ball search. If it's enough to melt the sleeve and the wrapper, it wouldn't take much longer to start a fire. I would hope something else would blow (ideally fuse) by that point though.

It scares me even at home because I myself am not always watching or even at home when someone else is playing. When the meltdown happened it left a burnt smell in the room that lingered for days.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 91.00
13,000 (OBO)
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
$ 16.95
$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider elf70.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/winkie-guard-coil-meltdown?tu=elf70 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.