• Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8C2A94A9-7DC4-488D-A80D-0EE53105CCAE (resized).jpeg
1697CB7B-FF55-4F0F-BAD9-6CB77FC8F2B3 (resized).jpeg
WozBurntCoil (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dcfan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 7 years ago

It sounds as if your Winkie target likely sits too low in the down position in relation to the surface of the playfield. There is a screw at under the playfield that allows for adjusting the height. I added some plumbers tape to the threads of the screw to keep it from lowering again.

Of course, you likely have to replace your coil, transistor and possibly the fuse before this info will matter.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

Interesting.
The replacement coil from JJP has both lugs as normal size so that threw me...
Thanks!

The original way JJP was installing the wires was with the slide-on connectors. They changed it around 2014 to soldering the wires on the lugs to be a more reliable connection.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

Yes, that's the word from JJP parts dept. as well.
So I am to cut off those nice slide connectors and solder? Right now I just have them on there the old way to see if I needed a new FET.
The FET survived that coil meltdown which is amazing.
I found the source of the issue with the ball hanging there too. The Winkie Guard drop target was too high up so I adjusted the height all the way down possible. However the top front edge of the target is just below the playfield and the back is just above the playfield by maybe 1/64th inch. So target top isn't level with the playfield when down. I can still place the ball there manually and have it hang there as a test.
I'll just have to see if the ball wants to hang up there again with the lower target down during gameplay.
I could also add a couple spacers to the back 2 mounting crews to help offset but I'll see how it goes during multiballs now first.

You may need to bend the drop target bracket just a hair to get the target to sit level with the playfield in the down position. It should be level on the front and back.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from elf70:

For what its worth, my target is as flush with the playfield as possible, but the top is slightly angled forward so it can't be perfect. Definitely correct that a carefully balanced ball will stick there, although thats not how mine happened, it was simply a case of bad timing in the middle of the multiballs.

It has been well over a year since I did it, but I am fairly certain I had the same problem when I received my game and all it took to fix the level of the target to the playfield was to bend the drop target bracket just a tiny bit.

As for the code and burning up coils, I recommend e-mailing Keith Johnson at Jersey jack.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

13,000 (OBO)
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dcfan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/winkie-guard-coil-meltdown?tu=dcfan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.