• Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8C2A94A9-7DC4-488D-A80D-0EE53105CCAE (resized).jpeg
1697CB7B-FF55-4F0F-BAD9-6CB77FC8F2B3 (resized).jpeg
WozBurntCoil (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cujo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I have been having issues with the ball getting stuck lately on the left top of the Winkie Guard (during multiball).

The coil energizes to reset the drop (up) but the ball gets stuck between the clear plastic shield and the left top of the Winkie Guard
drop target

After the other balls drain, the ball search finally releases the stuck ball. So this coil may be energized for a few minutes or more.
This has happened a few times before.

Well tonight I smelled something burning and shut off the game.

The next day, went to play and the Winkie drop would not drop when struck.
The coil sleeve had melted inside the coil. The metal plunger was bound inside of that melted sleeve.
The coil was pretty much toast too.

So once I get this new coil and sleeve (and possibly a new FET), anyone else every have this issue and
how they resolved it?

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

This will sound hard to believe to those of us who have been fixing pins as long as I've been, but whereas in the past a melted coil sleeve would absolutely mean a shorted FET and perhaps damage back into the board, on WOZ I have actually seen coils smoke without dead shorting the transistor. Check the board with a multimeter if you have one before pulling the board out. The transistor actually may have survived.

The associated FET is Q325 and I tested it per JJP support advice and it reads as NOT being blown like you mentioned.
Awaiting a new coil and coil sleeve from JJP parts.
Also ordered a new FET in case Q325 is blown.

Once I get this together I'll make sure that the drop target top edge is at least flush if not a tad above so it won't rest in that detent and get pinched again on a coil reset.

Here's a pic of the coil for all to enjoy! LOL
I'm actually thinking the coil may be ok although I haven't tested it.
Sure was tough getting the sleeve out.

WozBurntCoil (resized).jpgWozBurntCoil (resized).jpg

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Even so I wouldn't think it would hold the coil on. Thats typically a short pulse measured in milliseconds.
I'm thinking there was an issue with the driver transistor locking on. Have not yet heard of it on WOZ but it is a pretty common thing to have happen. Just usually when they lock it's permanently. Whats wierd is that he was mentioning that it only has happened a couple times and the ball search releases it.
BTW... What software version are you running?

The latest. Can't turn on the pin as it's apart and playfield up but it was the latest code from April I think?

#10 7 years ago

Anyone know which way the two connectors went on the coil lugs?
I forgot to take a pic.

One connector has two wires and the other one has one.

Thanks!

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

The big wide lug gets the wide connector originally light blue with double wires.

Interesting.
The replacement coil from JJP has both lugs as normal size so that threw me...
Thanks!

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

The original way JJP was installing the wires was with the slide-on connectors. They changed it around 2014 to soldering the wires on the lugs to be a more reliable connection.

Yes, that's the word from JJP parts dept. as well.

So I am to cut off those nice slide connectors and solder? Right now I just have them on there the old way to see if I needed a new FET.
The FET survived that coil meltdown which is amazing.

I found the source of the issue with the ball hanging there too. The Winkie Guard drop target was too high up so I adjusted the height all the way down possible. However the top front edge of the target is just below the playfield and the back is just above the playfield by maybe 1/64th inch. So target top isn't level with the playfield when down. I can still place the ball there manually and have it hang there as a test.

I'll just have to see if the ball wants to hang up there again with the lower target down during gameplay.

I could also add a couple spacers to the back 2 mounting crews to help offset but I'll see how it goes during multiballs now first.

#24 7 years ago

Glad to see I am not alone on this one.

It seems to have become more of an issue after the last code release but it could be a coincidence.

It always seemed to happen to me during multiball but Mercat has clearly shown where the single ball could roll back out of the VUK and get caught. It would be obvious if that happened since only ball in play but when a multiball is in progress mine would stay parked there until MB was over, then a ball search ensued. I imagine it was trapped for a good 3 minutes.
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the FET survived that long duration. (Q325)

I have lowered my drop target to the maximum lowest position since I replaced the coil yesterday. I'll have to pay close attention from here on out during multiballs.

I hope Keith can fix this with some sort of code update soon. Has anyone forwarded this issue to his attention yet?

Mercat has duplicated the problem very well with his video. Thank you for taking the time to do that.

3 years later
#38 4 years ago

Was there ever any code update from JJP that addressed this condition? Anyone know? Fortunately, I have not had this coil meltdown repeat itself so wondering if there was coding done to help prevent?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

13,000 (OBO)
$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 91.00
$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cujo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/winkie-guard-coil-meltdown?tu=cujo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.