Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 86 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Crash
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    IMG_2078_(resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mcluvin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#44 7 years ago

I skipped Vista and Windows 8. Windows 7 and 10 have been solid for me. I'm rocking a 5 year old desktop and got a nice performance improvement going to Windows 10. My oldest daughter has been rocking the same i5 Dell laptop (Windows 7 then 10) since her senior year in high school. She's in grad school now. No problems and I'm the guy who gets the call when there is a problem. IMO install an SSD, keep your AV and patches up to date, and don't click on stupid shi* and you probably aren't going to have a problem.

#50 7 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

I know right, getting ridiculous how much we are tracked these days.

If I lived in Russia or North Korea, yeah I wouldn't want to be tracked. Here in the US I think it's mostly a good thing. If you are a terrorist or criminal, I wan't law enforcement to be able to track you. I sure do like Waze, Gas Buddy, Life360, etc. They don't work too well though if they don't know where I am. Though I could do without "Welcome to Lowe's" popping up on my smart watch everytime I go there.

#52 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

By never owning a mobile device, removing that tracker they put in one of my tooth fillings, and driving a vehicle that has no satellite communications, I have been able to avoid being tracked for the most part.

Don't forget. Always pay with cash, preferably loose pennies.....

3 weeks later
    #59 7 years ago

Here's why I love Windows 10. In-laws have a Dell X2 3600 they've been using for the last 10 years. It's been acting up lately so figured I'd install an SSD and put Windows 10 on it since it is a free upgrade (was running Windows 7 Home and before that XP). Migrated over to the SSD and then upgraded to Windows 10 Home. Everything went smooth, but performance kinda sucks. This PC doesn't support AHCI and we're using the generic Windows video driver. Maybe time for a newer PC? I check my stash of old PCs and find a Dell Core2Duo. Pop the SSD in and it boots right up after hardware discovery. Performance is very decent for what they are using it for (Core2Duo running at ~3 GHz, 4 GB memory, 120 GB Samsung 840 EVO). Windows 10 Home will not activate though. Check the original license on the newer PC. It's for Windows 7 Pro. Change the license key to the default Windows 10 Pro license. Windows 10 updates to the Pro version. Change the license key and type in the Windows 7 Pro license and just like that I've got activated Windows 10 Pro.

#62 7 years ago

Your phone is a computer. Your TV is a computer. You've got a tablet that's a computer. You've probably got a laptop and a desktop. My troubleshooting of problems with those devices is certainly not limited to the Windows universe and does include Ipads. Pre-Windows 7? Absolute nightmare. I just have not had that experience since Windows 7, especially with an SSD installed. To pull a drive out of a 10 year old machine with a pre-AHCI Nvidia chipset and put it into another machine with an Intel AHCI supported chipset and have it boot up after a quick hardware discovery and no registry edits is amazing. I think I paid $200 for that original Dell and nothing for the Core2Duo. I did pay ~$100 for the Samsung SSD a few years ago though.

#68 7 years ago

Be careful with the newer Mac Minis. The ram is now soldered in and not upgradeable.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mcluvin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/windows-10-upgrade-death-by-waiting?tu=mcluvin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.