4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 86 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Crash
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    IMG_2078_(resized).JPG

There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 3 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

getting ridiculous how much we are tracked these days.

By never owning a mobile device, removing that tracker they put in one of my tooth fillings, and driving a vehicle that has no satellite communications, I have been able to avoid being tracked for the most part.

#52 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

By never owning a mobile device, removing that tracker they put in one of my tooth fillings, and driving a vehicle that has no satellite communications, I have been able to avoid being tracked for the most part.

Don't forget. Always pay with cash, preferably loose pennies.....

#53 3 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Always pay with cash

That is a given.

#54 3 years ago

I'm glad you guys are enjoying your Windows 10. My PC is still bricked and the only thing they can tell me to do is a clean reload. Of course that would wipe out the 100's or arcade pictures of many pins I worked on plus the last 10 years of family pictures that are on my drive. Somehow I turned off my restore point so it's either wipe it or nothing. Just going to have to buy another PC and pull my pictures and other stuff off the old drive.

#55 3 years ago

If you're willing to do a little work, you can recover all your content. Use a linux live cd or a bootlable USB with linux loaded on it, and you will be able to mount your old drive and pull the content off of it.

Alternatively, if you have another windows computer or at least access to another windows computer, you can add your current drive to it, and copy the content off.

#56 3 years ago

Yeah the data is definitely recoverable. Look in [drive letter]:/users/[your user name].

#58 3 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

I'm glad you guys are enjoying your Windows 10. My PC is still bricked and the only thing they can tell me to do is a clean reload. Of course that would wipe out the 100's or arcade pictures of many pins I worked on plus the last 10 years of family pictures that are on my drive. Somehow I turned off my restore point so it's either wipe it or nothing. Just going to have to buy another PC and pull my pictures and other stuff off the old drive.

Shoot me a PM if you'd like some help. I'm right across the river and do IT.

2 weeks later
    #59 3 years ago

Here's why I love Windows 10. In-laws have a Dell X2 3600 they've been using for the last 10 years. It's been acting up lately so figured I'd install an SSD and put Windows 10 on it since it is a free upgrade (was running Windows 7 Home and before that XP). Migrated over to the SSD and then upgraded to Windows 10 Home. Everything went smooth, but performance kinda sucks. This PC doesn't support AHCI and we're using the generic Windows video driver. Maybe time for a newer PC? I check my stash of old PCs and find a Dell Core2Duo. Pop the SSD in and it boots right up after hardware discovery. Performance is very decent for what they are using it for (Core2Duo running at ~3 GHz, 4 GB memory, 120 GB Samsung 840 EVO). Windows 10 Home will not activate though. Check the original license on the newer PC. It's for Windows 7 Pro. Change the license key to the default Windows 10 Pro license. Windows 10 updates to the Pro version. Change the license key and type in the Windows 7 Pro license and just like that I've got activated Windows 10 Pro.

#60 3 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Here's why I love Windows 10.

[editted out hard drive swap, OS install, complete machine swap, activation/key issues, etc]

Here's why I love MacOS:

Push power button. Work.

I bought my 2 daughters USED MacBooks 3.5 years ago (after needing to re-image their dell laptops about every 18-months), I haven't touched them since. Bought my mother-in-law a used MacBook 3 years ago.... This is a woman that would jack up a Windows laptop doing nothing but playing web games, searching for recipes and using "the Facebook." Haven't touched it since.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only whose had that experience.

Now I was a die-hard Windows nerd previously (loved tinkering and building my own machines), but I got sick of being Windows tech support when our inventory of family pcs (that I was responsible for) grew to 5 or 6 machines.

Can someone build MORE raw performance/dollar with Windows? Absolutely, no question. However, I've learned my time and aggravation is worth more.

#61 3 years ago

Saw a computer refurbishment store at the flea market. The OS on all their used laptops? Linux Mint.

#62 3 years ago

Your phone is a computer. Your TV is a computer. You've got a tablet that's a computer. You've probably got a laptop and a desktop. My troubleshooting of problems with those devices is certainly not limited to the Windows universe and does include Ipads. Pre-Windows 7? Absolute nightmare. I just have not had that experience since Windows 7, especially with an SSD installed. To pull a drive out of a 10 year old machine with a pre-AHCI Nvidia chipset and put it into another machine with an Intel AHCI supported chipset and have it boot up after a quick hardware discovery and no registry edits is amazing. I think I paid $200 for that original Dell and nothing for the Core2Duo. I did pay ~$100 for the Samsung SSD a few years ago though.

#63 3 years ago

I have two Macbooks in my office right now that refuse to boot. They aren't as bullet proof as people think.

I run an IT business and since the introduction of Windows 7, I've seen a sharp decline in issues. Even with the "dreaded" Windows 8 there weren't a ton of problems. Windows 10 has a lot of promise, but there are still a few issues that need ironed out. They aren't show stoppers, but stupid things like clock synchronization, time to standby calculations, etc.

Every time I use a Mac, I feel like I'm just along for the ride. It's just so annoying to use....and I own a MacBook Air. The funny thing is that almost all my clients that have Mac based businesses, run Windows 7 as a virtual machine.

#64 3 years ago

I like Mac, I just don't know anything beyond using it. I've probably installed a Mac program once or twice in my life. I certainly wouldn't spend $1500 on a desktop Mac that's for sure. I can build a decent PC for $400, a gaming PC for $600.

#65 3 years ago

These days a simple chromebook will satisfy most casual users. No viruses and they're dirt cheap. Acer has a nice 14" aluminum version for under $275.

#66 3 years ago
    Quoted from DeeGor:

These days a simple chromebook will satisfy most casual users. No viruses and they're dirt cheap. Acer has a nice 14" aluminum version for under $275.

This. Chromebooks are great for the reasons listed, also updates take about 30 seconds including the restart.

#67 3 years ago
    Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Pros: Works properly
    Way faster
    No MS bloatware garbage
    Insanely low risk of viruses
    Free
    Cons: Less software available
    If more developers supported Linux it would be perfect, but regardless, still better than Windows. Also you can get WINE which will allow you to run some Windows software on Linux.

I need to learn how to switch to Linux and if I don't like it switch back to W10. I recently replaced a 9 yr old Mac Mini with a Dell Inspiron for my media server. Windows 10 sucks, sucks, sucks at playing DVDs. It didn't come with a native DVD player and autoplay is flaky as hell. The wife keeps threatening to return the Dell and spend a bunch more to get a new Mac Mini. Is Linux really the answer?

Or I can Wifexit.

#68 3 years ago

Be careful with the newer Mac Minis. The ram is now soldered in and not upgradeable.

#69 3 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Be careful with the newer Mac Minis. The ram is now soldered in and not upgradeable.

Yes, I know, but the wife only cares about the OS. For media the Mac was king.

#70 3 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

I need to learn how to switch to Linux and if I don't like it switch back to W10. I recently replaced a 9 yr old Mac Mini with a Dell Inspiron for my media server. Windows 10 sucks, sucks, sucks at playing DVDs. It didn't come with a native DVD player and autoplay is flaky as hell. The wife keeps threatening to return the Dell and spend a bunch more to get a new Mac Mini. Is Linux really the answer?
    Or I can Wifexit.

Please hang on to the Dell. Linux Mint is the leading distribution and it just got a major update (version 18). However, it's still in beta. The stable (official) release will come in July. You can install the beta and upgrade to the stable version with a couple of clicks later so I would say go for it. It's amazing.

http://www.linuxmint.com

#71 3 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Or I can Wifexit.

I would load it up in a virtual machine and test it out for yourself. It's completely non-destructive, and you will get a feel for whether it will be a good fit for you.

Here's a guide that will walk you through the process.
    - http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/2014/05/how-to-install-linux-mint-as-virtual.html

#72 3 years ago

Thanks @Crash and @DeeGor. I may try Linux Mint next month.

1 week later
    #73 3 years ago
    Quoted from DeeGor:

I would load it up in a virtual machine and test it out for yourself. It's completely non-destructive, and you will get a feel for whether it will be a good fit for you.
    Here's a guide that will walk you through the process.
    - http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/2014/05/how-to-install-linux-mint-as-virtual.html

Or you can create a live CD and just boot it on the Dell without installing. That way you know if your hardware is compatible.

#74 3 years ago

Are CDs those drink coasters they used to supply with computers back in the 90s?

#75 3 years ago

Be sure to remind Dell for me. I have a friend with a Latitude(?) that refuses to show the USB drive in the boot menu no matter what.

2 weeks later
    #76 3 years ago

Mint 18 stable has been out for a couple of weeks now.

#77 3 years ago

Doing a PC at work. Basically if you have a Windows 7 downgrade and you replace the motherboard, Dell won't give you a product key. They'll give you a product key for Windows 10, but not 7. I need 7 on this machine, so now I have to try installing 10 and getting them to downgrade all over again. I kid you not, the very first attempt I made to "reset" the PC to a Microsoft issued copy of Windows 10 failed with "There was a problem resetting your PC." I try to go back to 7 and hello, startup repair!

image_(resized).jpeg

#78 3 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Basically if you have a Windows 7 downgrade and you replace the motherboard, Dell won't give you a product key.

Call Microsoft. 99% of the time they will give you a key if you explain the situation.

#79 3 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Call Microsoft. 99% of the time they will give you a key if you explain the situation.

Yep this worked. Funny, it's the first time anyone in my dept. has gotten a new key from Microsoft.

#80 3 years ago

We have a customer converting 30+ PCs to Windows 10 over the weekend. Have to mentally prepare myself for all the potential calls about issues next week.

#81 3 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

We have a customer converting 30+ PCs to Windows 10 over the weekend. Have to mentally prepare myself for all the potential calls about issues next week.

Unless they are running older hardware, or untested apps, there really shouldn't be any issues. Windows 10 out of the box has been a super stable OS.

I have been a network admin for 17 years, and windows 10 has been a very smooth transition compared to most of their other OSs throughout the years.

#82 3 years ago

I have to respectfully disagree. Last week we had a PC that updated to Windows 10 on its own and failed because it wasn't compatible with the hardware. Now it won't boot Windows 7, so they decided to buy a new PC and have me back up their personal files. However, I'm quite glad it's not giving you any major issues. When this process goes bad it breaks core stuff on the computer and it's often a long trek to try and revert the system to its previous state. And the worst part for a lot of people is, it happens randomly without your consent. So you can't plan for it or back up your most recent Windows profile before it does.

2 weeks later
    #83 3 years ago

Is that anniversary update playing nice with everyone?

#84 3 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Is that anniversary update playing nice with everyone?

I thought that was in beta still?

#85 3 years ago

I dunno, it looks like it. It's out, but with a crapload of bugs and freezing issues. It's like they hardly did any testing.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&biw=768&bih=928&tbm=nws&q=anniversary+update

1 week later
    #86 3 years ago

We had a Windows 10 machine randomly take a crap. I'm sorry, but I just can't wrap my head around these issues. This one in particular. In the past you could just press F8 to boot to safe mode or get some sort of error message. This time there's absolutely nothing that tells you what is wrong and the PC is completely unresponsive with just a blinking cursor. I know the hard drive isn't bad because the BIOS shows it as an active boot device. This office upgraded all their PCs to Windows 10 barely a month ago. And already major problems. AFAIK it's a very common issue and the only solution is to recover or reinstall Windows. Imagine trying to run a business when a random workstation decides not to boot every month or so. What a nightmare!

https://www.google.com/search?sclient=tablet-gws&site=&source=hp&q=windows+10+black+screen+cursor

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 29.00
    $ 38.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 245.95
    Boards
    Allteksystems
    £ 29.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 14.95
    $ 34.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 69.00
    Playfield - Protection
    The MOD Couple
    $ 124.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Hookedonpinball.com
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 9.90
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 9.99
    $ 79.99
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 38.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Various Novelties
    GC Pinball
    $ 79.99
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 349.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    Playfield - Plastics
    Mod Magic!
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside