Willy Wonka star Denise Nickerson has passed away

By Jasontaps

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

AAE8D68.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Amused_to_Death.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

I heard she wanted off life support

Posted to FB by members of Denise's family shortly before she passed away...

It's been a very long day. I have avoided posting updates until we had updates to provide. Denise is still here. The doctors, nurses, and we are surprised that this is the case as it was expected her respiratory system would've shut down hours and hours ago. She's still not going to improve at all, she's just going very slowly.

She's been given morphine to keep her pain free and slow her breathing, so it's just not so "gasp-y." She has random and semi-frequent seizures, but their intensity has grown far less severe as the day has progressed. Things have been relatively quiet and peaceful all day. We've had visitors to share fond memories, say their goodbyes, lift our spirits, and support us. We've taken turns resting, and crying, and coping, and back again.

I just want to correct some misinformation that seems to be floating out everywhere.

#1) Denise was not taken off life support. She has a DNR in place. She was never ON life support. She simply had basic machines running like the IV drip with antibiotics and anti seizure meds, and a very strong oxygen pump (not a ventilator which is a life support device). We stopped the use of those at 4 am because it wasn't helping her. She was declining just as fast with the machines running as she has without them running. They were just making her uncomfortable and were unnecessary to stop or fix the problems she's having. She's surviving at a base level, while much longer than anticipated, she's not suffering but also not being "rushed" along.

#2) Denise was not a nurse. She worked in doctor's offices as a receptionist and that wasn't even the "end all, be all" job for her. Denise hates blood, fluids, and things nurses would traditionally deal with on a regular basis. The career I would most closely say she held was an accountant. Idk why her Wikipedia page indicates she was a nurse but for some reason that is always referenced when sites report on her.

#3) She does not have sepsis. She is experiencing blood poisoning from carbon dioxide. She is not exhaling when she breaths so carbon dioxide is building up in her body which means she's not getting oxygen in her bloodstream. That means she's also not getting oxygen to her organs. At this point she's probably getting just enough to her brain and heart and lungs to keep her going but not enough to make her "survive" this. Sepsis is entirely different and not part of her diagnoses.

When there is another update, I will of course let everyone know. But until then, we're just trying to relax and spend time with her until she finally fully let's go. Thank you all for your kind words and donations and support during this time.
Also I don't know why Facebook is duplicating all of my posts. Sorry if you are feeling a little deja vu as you scroll through the timeline.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Amused_to_Death.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/willy-wonka-star-denise-nickerson-taken-off-life-support?tu=Amused_to_Death and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.