20190712_190945.jpg
20190712_190722.jpg
20190702_121308 (resized).jpg
20190702_121341 (resized).jpg
20190702_104429 (resized).jpg
957120E3-0B57-4173-A018-6B6ED1BD0B89.jpeg
twip (resized).png
65101862_2641540182543116_3192087803978579968_n (resized).jpg

There are 193 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

This. It is designed by an evil genius and requires active defense in many areas.

Many a game I have walked away from mine muttering, "Pat, you are a mad genius" : )

#152 4 years ago
Quoted from SaintJB:

Many a game I have walked away from mine muttering, "Pat, you are a mad genius" : )

Yeah man it's obvious that guy hates me.

#153 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Yeah man it's obvious that guy hates me.

And then I go play my Safe Cracker. I must be a masochist

#154 4 years ago

Frankfurt Pinball is streaming a Wonka LE. How do other countries get these before we do? I hate that.

#155 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Frankfurt Pinball is streaming a Wonka LE. How do other countries get these before we do? I hate that.

I don’t think that’s an LE. I think that’s the prototype machine that was going to the different shows here in the States. You can see that the wire forms are not blue. Also, on the play field, the color outlines on the mode inserts are the old colors. The top 4 should be outlined in orange, not green. I can’t quite tell, but I’d be willing to bet if you could get a closer look at the “Collect Kid” insert, it would say “Collect Brat.”

#156 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

So they can be released around the same time globally. Travelling by ship to Europe or Aus is done in advance to align with domestic release. Good idea in my mind.

#157 4 years ago
Quoted from per3per3:

Anyone in the DC, MD or Northern VA areas getting one? Usually VUK in Bethesda gets the newest JJP games. Looking forward to playing one

per3per3 Phil: I just set up a Wonka SE at Ocelot Brewing. Come out and play it!

#158 4 years ago

I think i already see a chip on the PF

#159 4 years ago

For the people that have played WW what game is better TZ or WW? thinking of setting my TZ to buy one.

#160 4 years ago
Quoted from shane63026:

For the people that have played WW what game is better TZ or WW? thinking of setting my TZ to buy one.

I've played both, I think Wonka is a smoother shooter. TZ has some unique features that make it fun too though. I'd give Wonka the edge.

#161 4 years ago
Quoted from shane63026:

I think TZ has stood the test of time and I'd have a hard time parting with it after having it for 21 years. I'd certainly wait a year or more before making that decision to see how things pan out with WW. I just played it last weekend, but a dozen games certainly weren't enough to really say I would sell our TZ to get one.

MIke

#162 4 years ago
Quoted from mjruser:

I think TZ has stood the test of time and I'd have a hard time parting with it after having it for 21 years. I'd certainly wait a year or more before making that decision to see how things pan out with WW. I just played it last weekend, but a dozen games certainly weren't enough to really say I would sell our TZ to get one.
MIke

WW takes a while to get its hooks in you. The initial experience (for me anyway) was frustrating to the point of walking away. Eventually I hit an inflection point where I started making some progress and that got me hooked.

It's an aggressive machine.

#163 4 years ago

Tz is a great game, it’s tough to beat, but ww shoots really well and also has a nice deep rule set. I always though DI was a modern day equivalent of TZ, ww ranks up there too. In the end, tz does not have that push the start button one more time feel to it like ww does so I’d choose ww.

Quoted from shane63026:

#164 4 years ago
Quoted from shane63026:

I own both (my only two pins). I can’t say I’ve been playing TZ much since I got Wonka, but it’s only been 2 weeks and the games are quite different. WW is an incredible game, and it is so easy to just keep hitting Start and jumping in to another one. The lights sound and screen are a totally different experience than TZ and games of its era offer. I think WW is the best shooting game I have played in the last decade at least, and I may go farther than that given enough time on it.

Having said that, I would be hard pressed to ever sell my TZ, and I certainly would not do it to buy a game I had never played before.

#165 4 years ago

Wonkavision!!

20190725_104329 (resized).jpg20190725_104329 (resized).jpg20190725_181639 (resized).jpg20190725_181639 (resized).jpg20190725_181649 (resized).jpg20190725_181649 (resized).jpg
#166 4 years ago

To all you new LE owners,what do you think of your newest pin?

#167 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

To all you new LE owners,what do you think of your newest pin?

So far so good. Games look great! Play great, only one switch level issue on all the games we unboxed. Kudos to JJP and Co.

#168 4 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

I've played both, I think Wonka is a smoother shooter. TZ has some unique features that make it fun too though. I'd give Wonka the edge.

Sell TAF before TZ?

1 week later
#169 4 years ago
Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

Wonkavision!![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That is a beautiful site

#170 4 years ago

I’ve finally played it extensively today and I must say I’m fairly disappointed at least as much as I wanted to love this game.

Overall it feels like JJP has reached the age of reason (or hired a CFO). The build quality is inferior to their previous games, toys are absent and the screen has less going on where there could be so much to display (code updates hopefully).

There are a few design flaws, the pole between the 2 wonkavision shots makes a lot of airballs (where WOZ has a target to avoid that) and my ball fell a couple times from the right ramp when hit too fast.

On the game play I feel the lower playfield is unfinished a target on the right, not much on the left and on the upper side the 2 flippers have one shot each which makes it fairly limited.

I will still put coins in it the theme is cool and there are some fun things to explore but im taking that one out of my wish list.

#171 4 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

I’ve finally played it extensively today and I must say I’m fairly disappointed at least as much as I wanted to love this game.
Overall it feels like JJP has reached the age of reason (or hired a CFO). The build quality is inferior to their previous games, toys are absent and the screen has less going on where there could be so much to display (code updates hopefully).
There are a few design flaws, the pole between the 2 wonkavision shots makes a lot of airballs (where WOZ has a target to avoid that) and my ball fell a couple times from the right ramp when hit too fast.
On the game play I feel the lower playfield is unfinished a target on the right, not much on the left and on the upper side the 2 flippers have one shot each which makes it fairly limited.
I will still put coins in it the theme is cool and there are some fun things to explore but im taking that one out of my wish list.

Really? First ive heard anyone say this. But its your opinion... i absolutely love the game and think its one of jjp best.

#172 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Really? First ive heard anyone say this. But its your opinion... i absolutely love the game and think its one of jjp best.

Yeah, I agree to. I see no issues with build quality. Airballs are often a function of game setup.

Toys absent? Spinning Gobstopper, wonkavision, oompaloompa camera these seem like good toys to me. Have you looked at a stern recently? Maiden and Deadpool have no toys and plastic figures in some cases.

Not much on the left? Left flipper shot isn’t easy, gobstopper hole, shot through the bumpers, that’s three shots on the left.

Not following what you mean by saying the two flippers have one shot each.

Quoted from adol75:

#173 4 years ago

I bought a Wonka for a location. It's not in a typical spot, an actual candy store. It's getting played a lot. Some pinheads in the area are coming in, but the owner tells me young kids love it also. He said his son who works there is hooked. Never played pinball and he is in his late teens. The most common response I get from people is the "just one more game" feeling. I have played a couple dozen games and really like it. My biggest complaint is the voice telling me what to shoot at. It doesn't fit. The movie was on the other day and after watching a few minutes I decided the voice over should have had a British accent. Could have really set the theme better to me.

Flipper rubbers need to be changed already.

20190808_143601 (resized).jpg20190808_143601 (resized).jpg
#174 4 years ago
Quoted from freeplay3:

I bought a Wonka for a location. It's not in a typical spot, an actual candy store. It's getting played a lot. Some pinheads in the area are coming in, but the owner tells me young kids love it also. He said his son who works there is hooked. Never played pinball and he is in his late teens. The most common response I get from people is the "just one more game" feeling. I have played a couple dozen games and really like it. My biggest complaint is the voice telling me what to shoot at. It doesn't fit. The movie was on the other day and after watching a few minutes I decided the voice over should have had a British accent. Could have really set the theme better to me.
Flipper rubbers need to be changed already.[quoted image]

I had to replace mine once already too. Next swap will be Titans.

#175 4 years ago
Quoted from freeplay3:

Putting one in a Candy Store is brilliant !

#176 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Yeah, I agree to. I see no issues with build quality. Airballs are often a function of game setup.
Toys absent? Spinning Gobstopper, wonkavision, oompaloompa camera these seem like good toys to me. Have you looked at a stern recently? Maiden and Deadpool have no toys and plastic figures in some cases.
Not much on the left? Left flipper shot isn’t easy, gobstopper hole, shot through the bumpers, that’s three shots on the left.
Not following what you mean by saying the two flippers have one shot each.

I have a WOZ and was very impressed by how sturdy the cabinet is and how batting feels like Williams superpins. It felt like there was a world apart with Stern build quality. Playing Wonka felt closer to a Stern in that sense, but I get it, WOZ is impossible to lift, it cost a fortune to build and in the end if the new production standard are reliable it’s all that matters. But I do think the difference is noticeable.

As to the upper flippers, the left one shoots the right spinner and the right one goes straight to the wonkavator they don’t have (or I didnt see) any other shot that cant be hit with the lower bats.

I hear your point regarding how little Stern has to offer in toys, to me it’s a matter of perspective and comparing Wonka to previous JJP games feels like they cut back on toys and extra playfields, that’s where I call it the age of reason where recouping developments and production costs with a price tag of 7.500$ takes some form of reason.

#177 4 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

I have a WOZ and was very impressed by how sturdy the cabinet is and how batting feels like Williams superpins. It felt like there was a world apart with Stern build quality. Playing Wonka felt closer to a Stern in that sense, but I get it, WOZ is impossible to lift, it cost a fortune to build and in the end if the new production standard are reliable it’s all that matters. But I do think the difference is noticeable.
As to the upper flippers, the left one shoots the right spinner and the right one goes straight to the wonkavator they don’t have (or I didnt see) any other shot that cant be hit with the lower bats.
I hear your point regarding how little Stern has to offer in toys, to me it’s a matter of perspective and comparing Wonka to previous JJP games feels like they cut back on toys and extra playfields, that’s where I call it the age of reason where recouping developments and production costs with a price tag of 7.500$ takes some form of reason.

Say what you will, Wonka still feels WAY more sturdy than those clunky modern Sterns. I’ve got mine sitting next to a TZ and it more than holds its own. Meanwhile you can throw a Munsters or AC/DC around like a rag doll.

#178 4 years ago

Anyone else have the ball roll down the kickback lane and the ball gets kicked back into play even though the light wasnt lite? My lamp works fine, and it does lite. Seems like maybe code was left out to light the led now and then?

#179 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Toys absent? Spinning Gobstopper, wonkavision, oompaloompa camera these seem like good toys to me.

Point of contention - I usually consider a toy something that interacts with the ball
of the 3 you list above, only the gobstopper does

Pin looks very nice and is fun to play, but I agree with others that past JJP titles really had my expectations much higher for what this pin could of been

#180 4 years ago
Quoted from Jasontaps:

Anyone else have the ball roll down the kickback lane and the ball gets kicked back into play even though the light wasnt lite? My lamp works fine, and it does lite. Seems like maybe code was left out to light the led now and then?

Is it during ball save? I have noticed that the kick works as a ball save w/out the light on.

#181 4 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

I respectfully disagree. I'm not sure what you are referring to in regards to build quality? As a comparison, I played Jurassic Park Pro at ReplayFX and it felt like a tin can. It was surely a world apart from Wonka. Even a friend of mine that is a casual player said, unprompted, that JJPro felt "cheap". I have no idea how anyone could describe Wonka as feeling "cheap".

#182 4 years ago
Quoted from Jasontaps:

Mine does the same. It seems to do it when the ball saver light between the flippers is blinking .

#183 4 years ago
Quoted from Jasontaps:

I believe certain multi-ball modes also kick back automatically too. Oompa Loompa Odyssey does for sure.

#184 4 years ago
Quoted from ktownhero:

I respectfully disagree. I'm not sure what you are referring to in regards to build quality? As a comparison, I played Jurassic Park Pro at ReplayFX and it felt like a tin can. It was surely a world apart from Wonka. Even a friend of mine that is a casual player said, unprompted, that JJPro felt "cheap". I have no idea how anyone could describe Wonka as feeling "cheap".

I didn’t say Wonka felt cheap, I said Wonka felt cheaper than the previous JJP build.
The same way that Whitestar Sterns were sturdier than Spike Sterns.

And again I get it, costs must be controlled, the simple fact that a small maker like JJP managed to compete with the big industrial player in terms of pricing is already an achievement.

#185 4 years ago

On all JJP games with kickbacks, kickbacks fire (for free, i.e. not consumed) when ballsaver is running, lit or not.

#186 4 years ago

I'm loving my WW LE. Has anyone had trouble with the ball getting temporarily stuck in the Gobstopper lock? It usually kicks into the shooter lane with a ball save. This is an especially problematic problem during multi ball. You think you're finished with MB, then the search reveals the stuck ball. Not good.

#187 4 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

I'm loving my WW LE. Has anyone had trouble with the ball getting temporarily stuck in the Gobstopper lock? It usually kicks into the shooter lane with a ball save. This is an especially problematic problem during multi ball. You think you're finished with MB, then the search reveals the stuck ball. Not good.

Yes, I put my Gobstopper lock release coil strength to the max value, which is 22 I'm pretty sure. That solved it. On occasion it happens, but tech support said they would be sending me a new actuator when it's ready to help alleviate the issue. Call tech support for that.

3 months later
#188 4 years ago
Quoted from freeplay3:

I Played your machine on location. It Played GREAT!! You were even Nice enough to give me some free games to start me off as I told you I bought some games from You 20 years ago. Thank you. The Game grows on you. The first time I played there I got frustrated. Played around 10 games. Second time another 10 games, did a little better. 3rd Time I cracked it wide open!! the game grows on you and frankly, you need to figure out shots and strategy and that is part of the fun. I believe the game has great flow and gameplay! Playing your machine motivated me to buy my own LE. Its on its way and should be here before Xmas. AND sorry jason, I tore your machine UP, I may be the culprit for the flipper rubbers. I have been quite busy and not been back for a Month but I got GC on your machine CHG Initials about 6 weeks ago

#189 4 years ago

Wonka is a blast and enjoy playing it every opportunity, but don’t feel the need to buy one. It is so smooth and when you start bustin 3-6 balls into Wonkavator per game, it is sweeter than candy.

#190 4 years ago

I went back to the candy store where the Willy wonka is to check if I was still GC. I seen that I was over throne. So I had to go to Work. I started off pretty slow. Really fast games with Ball drains every where!. 3 games Could not break 400,000. Put some more money in. 3 more games , A little better, Got upto 800,000. Put more money IN. Every Game after that was Over 1 Mill. I was now locked in!! This was a location game. It still played pretty Well!!It took me aroung 12 games to get back to GC Not bad, considering I beat his score by over 1 mill to get back on top!! I left the game with 6 credits left!! CHG

20191205_160606 (resized).jpg20191205_160606 (resized).jpg20191205_160612 (resized).jpg20191205_160612 (resized).jpg
#191 4 years ago
Quoted from Motorcitypinball:

I went back to the candy store where the Willy wonka is to check if I was still GC. I seen that I was over throne. So I had to go to Work. I started off pretty slow. Really fast games with Ball drains every where!. 3 games Could not break 400,000. Put some more money in. 3 more games , A little better, Got upto 800,000. Put more money IN. Every Game after that was Over 1 Mill. I was now locked in!! This was a location game. It still played pretty Well!!It took me aroung 12 games to get back to GC Not bad, considering I beat his score by over 1 mill to get back on top!! I left the game with 6 credits left!! CHG[quoted image][quoted image]

There is a 6,500,000 high score at my location, not from me unfortunately, but I wish I saw that wizard play.

2 weeks later
#192 4 years ago

1.32 Update on the JJP website now.

LTG : )

1 month later
#193 4 years ago

I’ve just installed 1.32 on my LE.
Could someone please confirm something for me.
I had a ball hang up on top of the captive ball. The machine went into ball search but never kicked out a replacement ball.
It tried searching for approx ten cycles then ended the ball.
But it never kicked out another ball from that point. I had to remove the glass in the end to get things going.
This is a big problem as this machine will be routed. A stuck ball could be very costly......
If someone could see if their machine does this it would be greatly appreciated.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
There are 193 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/willy-wonka-se-s-started-shipping-today-6-24/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.