92f1c59635afb8db992d8d3fd68f1ce8-2.jpg
harrypotter03.jpg
wonka-blu-ray.jpg
piq8qnz7T (resized).png
k0rp49wdvoi2 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #157 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by BoJo (4 years ago)

Post #158 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by pin2d (4 years ago)

Post #257 Feature matrix Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (4 years ago)

Post #396 SDTM gameplay video Posted by ZMeny (4 years ago)

Post #564 Rules Flowchart Posted by PanzerFreak (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider joniano.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#844 4 years ago
Quoted from iluvak9:

I watched the stream, watched the SDTM video, read the TWIP detailed review, and reviewed the rules flowchart and here are my current opinions which you can consider, ignore, trash or whatever you choose to do...
(1) I first watched the stream and this really turned me off. After watching the stream from about 5:30 to 7pm, I decided to give up on the game. I've got the cash in hand and space for a new game and walked away from both the BKSOR and Wonka videos with no desire to buy either based on their reveal streams.
(2) However, after watching the SDTM video, reading the TWIP detailed review and reviewing the rules flowchart I am now considering Wonka primarily because the game has a great playfield layout, great shots, I am fine with the playfield artwork and simplified toys. The main things that are lacking and have me hesitating may all be corrected as the game development is finalized and so I am left with some key questions:
(a) The SE cabinet artwork (why? no cost savings in cheaper version - just to push folks to LE)?
(b) How will SE virtual lock work and how will player know # locked? I hear no lock stealing in SE? disappointing
(c) Watching stream had me very disappointed in screen - reviewing other info had me liking screen layout and info
(d) By far, biggest issue is integration- pinball machine based on a musical, but you wouldn't know playing it
- Did not hear a single song from the movie except Wilder boat ride which is more a poem
- Oompa Loompa bumpers were cute, but not quite the song(I see the rule set has a hurry-up so maybe?)
- No Candy Man song (again, see there is a Candy Man mode, so maybe?)
- I understand that Pure Imagination is the ultimate wizard mode, but that means few will ever hear it
- Saw the Veluca I want it all Good Egg, Bad Egg video clip- silent - no "I want it all quote" or song?
(e) Continuing integration issue, I'm hoping there is still a long way to go in developing sound, quotes, background
- All the video clips were essentially silent and not very well integrated with game play, no progression award
- Not sure a novice would even know that they had started most of these events - feedback was lacking
- I see the smaller LCD has instructions, but novices don't take their eyes off the ball(s) in play
- Screen has lots of useful info, but novices won't get it (I didn't until I read the TWIP detailed review)
- All the multiball starts were boring (compare to Lawlor multiball starts like TAF, TZ, NGG that ARE events)
- The background music became very repetitive and seemed similar even when modes/events were running
So, I'm hoping that just like with other JJP games such as WOZ and Hobbit, the final version of this game is very different from the version we are seeing now and mainly I am speaking about items d and e above which are code related and so, again, there is hope. Also, my reaction to the reveal confirms what others have been saying about JJP reveals being problematic. In fact, my reaction to the reveal was negative enough to almost totally write-off the game as one for potential purchase.

100% all of this. This should be stickied and/or sent to JJP. I was also looking for another machine, cash on hand ready to go and was anticipating buying an LE pending the reveal. Wonka is a theme I love with the macabre, dark/playful scheme, but none of that is coming through as it stands. As someone in one of these posts somewhere mentioned, it sounds and looks more like a slot machine than a pinball. Just too many flashing, brief hits with little integration.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider joniano.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/willy-wonka-reveal-details?tu=joniano and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.