• SE 46 votes
    32%
  • LE 70 votes
    48%
  • CE 30 votes
    21%

(146 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 116 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Apbg (resized).jpg
file (resized).jpg
IMG_20190712_194049 (resized).jpg
D94A4758-E26B-4A80-84D3-9616808E0546 (resized).png
JJPPinfest 2019 (resized).png
wonka (resized).jpg
9a97aaf1-e78d-496f-8d77-5b0c9153ceec (resized).jpeg
Willy2 (resized).jpg
20190419_231634 (resized).jpg
letter h (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
92f1c59635afb8db992d8d3fd68f1ce8-2.jpg
harrypotter03.jpg
wonka-blu-ray.jpg
piq8qnz7T (resized).png
k0rp49wdvoi2 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #157 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by BoJo (1 year ago)

Post #158 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by pin2d (1 year ago)

Post #257 Feature matrix Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (1 year ago)

Post #396 SDTM gameplay video Posted by ZMeny (1 year ago)

Post #564 Rules Flowchart Posted by PanzerFreak (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frolic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#100 1 year ago

Stern's IGN strategy is looking pretty shrewd right about now.

#117 1 year ago

9k watching. not too shabby!

Screen Shot 2019-04-12 at 8.17.02 PM (resized).png
#126 1 year ago

yes. They've learned. A sizzle video!

#129 1 year ago

Great debut. Exactly as was suggested. Sizzle and let the game speak for itself. Well done.

#149 1 year ago

Looks a lot like WOZ's child.

I like the screen with the simulated alphanumeric scoring.

#163 1 year ago

Looks fun but hella overhyped.

#179 1 year ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

Le has additional ball lock over the standard

So they've gone Pro then? Actual missing features. Hmph.

#613 1 year ago

Morning thoughts:

-It was overhyped, but I don't blame JJP for that. There was nothing official said from JJP, just 3rd parties driving that.

-Lowering the Standard price is an achievement. That is big news.

-In the end it's another pinball. Not sure why we keep setting ourselves up for something that will change the world. I don't think there will ever be another leap like WOZ (or Pinball 2000) was again.

-I don't like that CEs are the new LEs, and LEs are essentially Premiums. In the end I think it will be a tough sell to move many $10k+ machines. Let alone 500 of them. FOMO will subside on this and people will evaluate whether they want to spend that kind of money.

-I look forward to trying it, I'm sure it will be fun. I was never going to be a buyer of a Wonka theme, but every day there is a new pinball announcement is a good day.

#646 1 year ago
Quoted from WackyBrakke:

Over 12,000 viewers at one point too! Has to be a pinball record

I believe every reveal stream I've seen in the past is in the ~2000 range. That was a major jump.

#737 1 year ago

As has been brought up, I checked out the SDTM video. That is definitely showing the game in its best light.

Just the low camera angle by the flipper improves the game from the top down view of streaming.

I appreciate the streamers, but I wonder for the future what best way to stagger out the reveal might be. In the interest of best reveal for a company, any company.

#747 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

But start it up with a long boring speech from a JJp guy reading off his iPhone

Public speaking while reading off your iphone is a bad thing. If it's necessary to have an opening spiel, then get an electric speaker who is rehearsed and can nail all this stuff.

Quoted from flynnibus:

JJP did get some things very right this time. They had multiple samples there that were playable... they had their partner content primed and ready to support the launch.

This reveal was better, for certain. But as we are discussing, there is room to make it better.

I think it's important for anyone at JJP to not see this feedback as hating. These are some real points to take in. I think we (as pinball fans and potential buyers) WANT to be blown away. Things have improved, so I think they'll continue to make it better.

#748 1 year ago

So I wonder now how might have things gone, if the media partners got to break the news early on the same day (say 10am), and then the presentation was the first hands on.

#754 1 year ago

Jumping back to another topic, I found this quote comical:

"We're only making 500 Collector Edition games. So put your order in now for this very special machine."

My take:

500 is an unprecedented number of $12,500 machines. It's not like this is actually a lesser number than normal or that any CE has ever sold its entire run before. This number is bigger than normal, at a whole tier level that has only recently been created.

Creating FOMO around this was funny I thought.

#765 1 year ago

It seems like there was a lot of pinball media that had access to the machine these last few weeks but they all sat on the information and only one or two people tried to make themselves the story by getting ahead of everything.

#851 1 year ago
Quoted from SheriffBarclay:

Again I ask, where is the proofreading?

Isn't it "now"? These are prototype games. This is when these things get caught.

#922 1 year ago

I suspect AP has had ZERO to do with the new pricing and everything to do with what their actual customers, specifically operators, have been telling them.

I'm a little confused with AP. If you can't be twice as good and do it for cheaper, why enter an established market?

#1082 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

inviting the podcast gang in to review the machine was not a great choice, they are enthusiasts rather than professional journalists like Martin or Jonathan who would have given a more measured assessment of the game.

I wonder if the solution is just a stronger embargo. Don't say you've been, don't say you've played it. Sit on that info till release, if you want to be invited back.

#1126 1 year ago
Quoted from pinmister:

We need a totally non-bias review process to avoid all of the fluff. Everyone seems to have an opinion on their definition of what is fun to them, but opinions seem to be all over the board.

I remember when I used to read Roger Ebert movie reviews. I wouldn't automatically like or dislike everything he liked or disliked, but he was eloquent enough about it I would understand why he liked it or disliked it. It wasn't about convincing me of his pov, just sharing it.

But what I'm talking about is missing from not just pinball or movies, but everything. We can't have discussions any longer without attempting to sway someones opinion to ours.

#1164 1 year ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Group that has played the pin - it seems like a majority of them love the pin or really like the pin, and think it's great, and likely even ordered one.

Group that has not played the pin - a majority of them do not like the pin, based upon what they saw on a stream or video.

I'd say the challenge any pinball company has is what is the best way to show a game, when most people will not get "hands on" time for many months to come?

Dialed In was a good example of something with a terrible debut but won people over as they actually got to play it.

Obviously this is why "themes sell games", just the theme alone will get people on board.

Besides that, within these constraints, most experiencing it online, what is the best solution?

I'm certain that hasn't been answered fully yet. It can be done better.

#1307 1 year ago

Can you imagine a company rolling out a million dollar investment with "I've done better". lol.

#1309 1 year ago
Quoted from Breger1:

Are Jersey Jake Shaker motors available through any outlet?

Check with the Sorny and Magnetbox retailers.

pasted_image (resized).png
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frolic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside