• SE 46 votes
    32%
  • LE 70 votes
    48%
  • CE 30 votes
    21%

(146 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 116 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Apbg (resized).jpg
file (resized).jpg
IMG_20190712_194049 (resized).jpg
D94A4758-E26B-4A80-84D3-9616808E0546 (resized).png
JJPPinfest 2019 (resized).png
wonka (resized).jpg
9a97aaf1-e78d-496f-8d77-5b0c9153ceec (resized).jpeg
Willy2 (resized).jpg
20190419_231634 (resized).jpg
letter h (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
92f1c59635afb8db992d8d3fd68f1ce8-2.jpg
harrypotter03.jpg
wonka-blu-ray.jpg
piq8qnz7T (resized).png
k0rp49wdvoi2 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #157 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by BoJo (1 year ago)

Post #158 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by pin2d (1 year ago)

Post #257 Feature matrix Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (1 year ago)

Post #396 SDTM gameplay video Posted by ZMeny (1 year ago)

Post #564 Rules Flowchart Posted by PanzerFreak (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#566 1 year ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

And any mention on when these would be shipping? Guessing CE will be a bit, as pf not what will be on final release?
Sorry for belated questions....east coast guy calling it a night....like what I see, but don't love it...yet

Twip article cited 60 days for standards first

#567 1 year ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

but the code also has alot going on and its only 40 percent atm.

No... that was people seeing the software version and making the incorrect leap that version number has anything to do with percentages. Joe stated the main things yet to be done are the wizard modes... the rest is essentially there.

#569 1 year ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

I just hate all the hype media (wich was not only K) and myself for remotely believing this BS at the moment.

It just shows how eager people are to believe anything. It was 100% marketing from the start... but it was what people WANTED to hear as well.. that’s the formula for easy buyin.

The fact people look to these folks as beacons still blows my mind.

They should be setting up a mega church and start cashing in... because clearly there are many ready to buy anything they say.

#699 1 year ago

The announcer in the game reminds me of ripleys...

#741 1 year ago
Quoted from frolic:

As has been brought up, I checked out the SDTM video. That is definitely showing the game in its best light.
Just the low camera angle by the flipper improves the game from the top down view of streaming.
I appreciate the streamers, but I wonder for the future what best way to stagger out the reveal might be. In the interest of best reveal for a company, any company.

Yes, I've been saying this exact thing in our local circles...

Untitled.jpg

This is not the right tool for the job. To make the most of these reveals if they are going to do them live, they need to learn some production and make some investment. I was thinking of starting another thread on this very subject.. because I think the last two reveals show just how badly this step can break the company's stride on marketing for the title.

Structuring these things so the pacing is right, the content is right, the media supporting the presentation is right, the messaging is on point... that you highlight your talking points, that you hook the audience...

JJP did get some things very right this time. They had multiple samples there that were playable... they had their partner content primed and ready to support the launch. But they still can't figure out how to host a presentation if it's not just Jack talking off the cuff.

As much as I don't really like the TWIPYs being some 'thing' - what the guys did with that event is a great example of how PRODUCTION can make something little into something that attracts, grabs, retains, and sends people out with an appreciation for what just happened. The game reveals have done the opposite of late.. leaving people lower than when they went in.

Having things like JD stream new games from the factory is awesome.. and great to see GAMEPLAY - but it is NOT a good way to introduce or reveal the game itself for the first time. The overhead cam flattens everything... you get NO perspective of how the game looks as a player.. and you miss most things.

This reveal gave an easy comparsion to just contrast how the buffalostream felt vs the STDM video that was released. Everyone feels better about the game after watching the latter.. and that's not because of where the video came from.. but what it showed and how.

#751 1 year ago
Quoted from frolic:

So I wonder now how might have things gone, if the media partners got to break the news early on the same day (say 10am), and then the presentation was the first hands on.

It depends on what you want your event to be... just the first hands on? the first time in the flesh? the big reveal itself? The news break?

But as a general statement, the informed viewer would have liked the stream they had much better.. because it focuses what the viewer is trying to see.

They way they did it.. everyone was
1 - trying to figure out what the game really was
2 - what the game did
3 - what the game looked like
4 - what the major elements were
5 - what the multimedia looked like
6 - how the game plays
7 - how complete the game really is
8 - whats the differences between the editions

All at the same time from a format that was horrible to answer much of that.

As much as people 'dont want a boring lecture' - you do have to strategically inform and hook your audience during that.. before you just unleash them on the games.

Here obviously they didn't have any ambitions of the seminar except to let people play the games and make it the first public viewing. As an event in isolation, that's not horrible.. but as a product launch.. it was really a bad way to do it.

#898 1 year ago
Quoted from arcadem:

I heard that JJP is not going to provide a printed copy of their outstanding manuals anymore with any games including the CE'S. The features list doesn't say anything about manuals. Could that be one of the "more surprises " albeit an unwelcome one?

Pirates was already like that

#916 1 year ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Shaker, glass and powder cost about $550 so it’s really this ball lock mech that becomes the difference.

Don't follow you..
Invisglass is ~300.. Shaker ~100.. headphone kit ~$40.. powdercoated legs, lockdown, siderails, and hinges would run you 450+ just themselves. That's likely $900.. And then you're paying for the different art and mech.. and the LE "premium".

#951 1 year ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Powder $450? I don’t think so.

Think or know? How many powder jobs have you gotten done of late?

This is at least a 11 piece job... plus all the bolts. plus you would normally source new siderails verse fighting the stainless and have to be picky in the lockdown bar. It’s not no $100 job... people doing it in their garage aren’t even that cheap.

#1040 1 year ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

If you are being changed $450 to powder coat, then you need to find a new powder coater.

Please share your estimate of costs for
new raw metal side rails and lockbar w/o weld marks
prep and flake powdercoat for
2 x backbox hinges
2 x siderails
1 x lockdown bar
4 x legs
8 x legbolts
x siderail screws
4 x pivot bolts
+ shipping

Because that's what a real job entails. It's not gonna be $100-$200.

#1062 1 year ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Guy near me does everything for a game for $100
I paid $100 for all these fish tale parts, he said he had to charge me $100 because it was his minimum...if I had a few more parts it would have still been $100... his work is good as well[quoted image]

Cherish it.. you're getting a bargin!

#1084 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

inviting the podcast gang in to review the machine was not a great choice, they are enthusiasts rather than professional journalists like Martin or Jonathan who would have given a more measured assessment of the game

They weren't going for objective reviews... they were going for exactly what they got. Promotion.

#1143 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Indeed. The point is that if you are a platform and you have early access you give first impressions - hugely important.

But you knocked them for a risk of lack of objectivity. What I said was the choice to use ppl like this was never about getting independent, objective views on the product. It was about promotion. It was about getting multiple information channels talking about YOUR product and coordinating information launch.

What better way to control speculation and information than to get the main megaphones to sign on the line with you and agree to YOUR schedule and coordinating?

#1167 1 year ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

I am going to make an observation - there are two groups of people right now - those who have played the game, and those that haven't.

Group that has played the pin - it seems like a majority of them love the pin or really like the pin, and think it's great, and likely even ordered one.

Group that has not played the pin - a majority of them do not like the pin, based upon what they saw on a stream or video.

You should have been here for the DI reveal....

#1235 1 year ago

Stern's relationship with IGN for its releases is anything but independent and objective. They are secured launch promotion pieces.

#1297 1 year ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Kman I am a regular listener and wanted to say it’s a bit hypocritical for you to bash others for having an opinion on a game that differs from your own as you are a bashmaster on games you don’t like

I don't know how anyone can listen to anything he says after you sit down and listen to episode 338 where he praises how the world has changed.. and then the next episode 339 where he is the biggest hypocrite to walk the earth. You could literally make a whole show of him disagreeing and countering himself if you cared to cut and clip different episodes together. "the world changes today..." countered with "what did you all think could possibly change pinball that much?" Critiques games, art, and everything about products he's never even seen in person.. besides played extensively.. then bashes everyone who hasn't played wonka as uninformed and they should stop until they've played the game.

I thought people were bothered by the amount of people talking about wonka positively and then taking that as hype... then I listened to episode 338 today as I mowed the yard.. and good lord.. how can anyone listen to that with hindsight and not see him for what he is?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 89.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 12,500.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
$ 9,500.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside