92f1c59635afb8db992d8d3fd68f1ce8-2.jpg
harrypotter03.jpg
wonka-blu-ray.jpg
piq8qnz7T (resized).png
k0rp49wdvoi2 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #157 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by BoJo (5 years ago)

Post #158 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by pin2d (5 years ago)

Post #257 Feature matrix Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (5 years ago)

Post #396 SDTM gameplay video Posted by ZMeny (5 years ago)

Post #564 Rules Flowchart Posted by PanzerFreak (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

That would be 2AM...
I guess I miss out.

Come on bro I know they rage in Dusseldorf! Just take a nap beforehand.

#181 5 years ago

Reminds me of rollercoaster tycoon!

#511 5 years ago

Am I the only
One reminded of rollercoaster tycoon?

Looks
Like a fun game to me. Can’t wait to play it.

#740 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

As has been brought up, I checked out the SDTM video. That is definitely showing the game in its best light.
Just the low camera angle by the flipper improves the game from the top down view of streaming.
I appreciate the streamers, but I wonder for the future what best way to stagger out the reveal might be. In the interest of best reveal for a company, any company.

The reveal game needs a TON of work.

I liked seeing the flashing lights and covered games, things were off to a good start. I thought we were in for a bit of a show.

But start it up with a long boring speech from a JJp guy reading off his iPhone, and then follow it up with another boring speech from pat who isn’t exactly mr excitement, and then just reveal the game, start playing it with commentary without hyping it up or quickly showing off some of the features?

What the fuck is going on here?! There was no excitement. No show. Seemed amateurish.

You have 12K people watching - live. How about a little excitement and pizazz? People were SO excited for this reveal. There could have been some serious hype. Get the crowd into it. Music. Lasers. Smoke. Reveal the game - show us around the game, then have a pro play a whole game with focus on sound, not commentary and ambient noise and people in the background eating pizza.

You’ve got 5 hours - make the first 30 minutes or so something awesome. You can have people playing pinball and eating pizza on stream for the 4.5 hours after that and the 2k hardcores will stay tuned in for that.

Buffalo did a nice job as always with the tech. Looked fantastic. But on JJp’s end I feel it was a wasted opportunity. You’ve got 12K people watching and are front page on twitch. Probably 2k of those people were hardcore pin fans - the rest are people who were probably bored out of their minds after 10 minutes and many of them won’t come back. This was a huge opportunity to hook some people or get them interesting in seeing more - people want to get into hobbies that appear exciting, not dull.

Id really like to see some effort put into this kind of thing. A proper hype man opening it all instead of a couple boring speeches would have done wonders.

Check out our coverage of NYCPC 2019 in May if you want an idea of how this stuff could be done differently. And it Jack wants some help for on camera talent for his next reveal I’d be happy to assist.

We all need to move this shit forward.

#749 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

So I wonder now how might have things gone, if the media partners got to break the news early on the same day (say 10am), and then the presentation was the first hands on.

They had 12k people
Watching. So can’t fault their plan or schedule.

The execution could use a little work.

#779 5 years ago
Quoted from imharrow:

I must be a boring old man, because I loved Brett's (?) speech. It was very professional and business oriented. I assume based on his speech, his family are the investors in JJP. Despite not knowing anything about him, he made me feel better about JJP's business. It made me believe they are really u retested in building for ops (something they have failed at to date). That speech made me want to buy. Unfortunately, then I didn't feel any magic when the game got shown. Looks like it is an awesome layout. But I felt no emotional connection.

It may have been a lovely speech but it was no way to start the most anticipated reveal stream in years. Neither the content nor the delivery in any way matched the hype and was a very deflating launch.

Imagine if the super bowl opened with the commissioner’s nephew reading an unrehearsed speech off an iPhone in monotone thanking a bunch of people who could have been thanked at the end of the game.

#812 5 years ago

DI is jjps best playing game and I’m sure this will rule also. Lawlor was a huge win for them.

WOZ is a close third most likely. Hobbit and Potc ain’t my cup of tea.

#867 5 years ago
Quoted from SheriffBarclay:

I get that, and I'm new to this hobby. It's more of an overall concern to me - if they're not catching this stuff now, could spell trouble on production (coupled with the well-documented QC issues in the POTC threads).
On a smaller note, seems like some portion of the 5 prototype cabinets/playfields/etc. could be reused in production games, but not if they've got errors.

You don’t have to tell us you are new to the hobby. It’s pretty obvious.

If prototype games are being parted out to make production games, don’t buy from that company as they will soon be bankrupt.

Early dumb typos are no warning of impending disaster. Both spider man (you ooze you loose) and Batman 66 (villan vision) turned out fine.

#874 5 years ago
Quoted from SheriffBarclay:

This will be my last post on the topic; there is a correlation between sloppy editing/proofreading and later problems in production. "You play like you practice."
Sorry y'all don't like errors being pointed out on games. Let's all just accept whatever we get.

Why do you keep saying that when there’s zero evidence it’s true in Pinball? Look up “production problems on batman 66 and Spider-Man” and get back to me with your dozens of results.

Stop saying things that don’t make sense and you’ll start getting less snarky responses.

You yourself said you are “new to the hobby.” If that’s true pretending you know anything about the history of Pinball production and making ridiculous predictions of future problems based on a typo isn’t wise and won’t be well received by people who aren’t new to the hobby.

#877 5 years ago
Quoted from Spelunk71:

I’m confident JJP will fix these early errors, but to your point, substitute Ghostbusters (early spelling errors carried over to early production games and ghosting, chipping, cabinet cracking issues) for your examples and the results will be quite different. Stern doesn’t seem to have problems staying in business. And GB reportedly was one of their best sellers. Go figure...

Yeah, spelling errors cause chipping and ghosting and cabinet splitting. And those spelling errors were so egregious, the ghosting and cabinet issues spilled over to Star Wars and Aerosmith!!!

Come on man this entire line of thought is making us all dumber. I can feel it. Like HAL at the end of 2001.

#934 5 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

I really think the idea of lowering the standard by $1000 is to destroy companies like American. If they don't counter and lower the prices of Houdini and Oktoberfest, they are in serious trouble.
Oktoberfest - $7400
Standard Wonka - $7500
That's just not fair.

Quoted from frolic:

I suspect AP has had ZERO to do with the new pricing and everything to do with what their actual customers, specifically operators, have been telling them.
I'm a little confused with AP. If you can't be twice as good and do it for cheaper, why enter an established market?

I have no idea what APs plan is but it doesn’t seem to make much sense to me.

I expect them to get out of the business after Oktoberfest flops.

#940 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

That’s why they call you “Crazy” Levi
Just pulling shit out of your ass again!
It’s been 8 yrs now and millions in JJP losses. AP can do the same thing
At least they actually announce and get games out the door. A fine effort thus far that should only get better

They are making bad games nobody wants.

So sure, if they want to keep losing money they’ll keep doing it. I have a hunch they won’t.

Not enough conviction on this one to bet more alcohol. I must protect my investment!

#969 5 years ago
Quoted from avspin:

Fair? Who said business is fair? These guys, JJP, Stern, AP, etc. are in this for money. It's not a hobby to them. As a business owner I know this first hand. If you want to survive and make money to support your family you have to find what the customer wants and what price they are willing to pay for it. Trial and error. Don't make the mistake that they are doing this for fun. You may be in a hobby but they certainly are not.
Sorry, rant off.

That wasn’t a rant.

#1133 5 years ago
Quoted from Gasoline:

Applauds! I posted this in the Wonka Club but i’ll say it again:
Don’t get caught up in the emotional highs and lows of all the fanboys and haters or the vendor comparisons. No one should have any regrets with any vendor’s pin purchase if they find joy and happiness from the machine. Find the machine that provides you that joy and don’t look back.

But if everybody else doesn’t approve of a game I buy, how do I know it’s good?

#1259 5 years ago
Quoted from HEAD_boss_HOG:

everyone who is nitpicking this art needs to seriously consider what you are doing with your time. cmon guys, its a pinball machine. the Letter H?
wow
just play the game and enjoy it. or don't; just don't ruin everyone else's time who may be interested in playing or owning one. its just so fruitless.

I was gonna buy one but h had me saying (H)ell no!!

But then I looked at the Cs and they are even better than I expected so it balanced out!

(c)e here I come baby!

#1326 5 years ago

The art stuff can get a little nutty around here.

Your average person - and by that I mean 99.8 percent - ain’t gonna find the H upsetting or notice that a gradient fill on GOT violated some unspoken rules of art design.

In a way it must be a curse to have such a refined artistic eye!

Now Lotr LE golden penis is something you can’t ignore!

#1413 4 years ago
Quoted from Zavadoza:

Eric said they wouldn’t license the song. That is not accurate.
Keith Johnson told me, “they wanted a shit-ton of money.”
So Candy Man could have been in the game, but it was cost prohibitive.

Cue the Kickstarter campaign

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Travahontas Mods

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

9,600 (OBO)
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 25.50
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

12,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/willy-wonka-reveal-details?tu=crazylevi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.