92f1c59635afb8db992d8d3fd68f1ce8-2.jpg
harrypotter03.jpg
wonka-blu-ray.jpg
piq8qnz7T (resized).png
k0rp49wdvoi2 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #157 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by BoJo (5 years ago)

Post #158 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by pin2d (5 years ago)

Post #257 Feature matrix Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (5 years ago)

Post #396 SDTM gameplay video Posted by ZMeny (5 years ago)

Post #564 Rules Flowchart Posted by PanzerFreak (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NeilMcRae.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#979 5 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

I really think the idea of lowering the standard by $1000 is to destroy companies like American. If they don't counter and lower the prices of Houdini and Oktoberfest, they are in serious trouble.
Oktoberfest - $7400
Standard Wonka - $7500
That's just not fair.

JJP don't give a toss about American, they are trying to keep themselves in business first! so no I don't agree.

In my view its the first recognition that JJP has realised they had the pricing wrong on its games for a while with some experimentation they have done on recent hobbit deals they've probably found a sweet spot thats going to shift a lot more tin and wood. And from my POV a welcome decision. Look at the after market pricing on Dialed in, to sell them you have to seriously take a punch on the price I got mine for nearly £3000 of the list! with a few hundred plays on it. They've taken a mech out (Which in no way represents the $1000) to placate those paying a lot more, you can see it when you are in arcades around the world, the only JJP game that is usually there is WoZ because operators have got so much choice in the market why would they pony up $2000 more on a game that isn't going to make them any more money than one for $6000, I can see future JJP games being designed for a BOM that starts at that price-margin (and maybe lower if this doesn't work).

#980 5 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Has an official list been released as to which songs from the movie are utilized in the game?

Quoted from Zavadoza:

I don’t. I don’t think it’s all in the game yet. You can hear it playing with no words, just like all the other songs. I made the same point to Joe Katz (about never hearing the best song) and he said they will have it in a couple places, not just the final wizard mode.

They need to use the music tied more to modes in my view, can you imagine iron maiden with hitting a target getting a short play of run to the hills? no no no. What they need is a banging high tempo remake of the Oompaloompa song as a mini frenzy wizard mode, or bin the kid multi ball and get them dancing all over the freaking screens during that multi ball make all those freaking lights light up like someone dropped a nuke, bring the movie into the modern era... (waits for the wrath of pinside to shoot me in the head).

#1077 5 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Oh man how many games have I worked on that we shouldn't have made?
AP: Can't show 3 or 4 of the best animations in the game. Oh well, better not do it.
TSPP: Can only have 3 voice actors. Sorry, Marge, Lisa, Burns, many others. Oh well, better not do it.
LOTR: Can't get movie shots from ROTK. Can't get Ian McKellen. Oh well, better not do it.
Elvis: "Elvis wouldn't have said that." Oh well, better not do it.
WOZ: Everyone's dead and can't find anyone that sounds like them. Oh well, better not do it.
Hobbit: No one associated with the movie will even look at your email for < $100K. Oh well, better not do it.
JJPOTC: No assets with people in them. Oh well, better not do it.

I'm not seeing any problem here Keith . *

* just pulling' your leg!

#1081 5 years ago

inviting the podcast gang in to review the machine was not a great choice, they are enthusiasts rather than professional journalists like Martin or Jonathan who would have given a more measured assessment of the game. But no matter what anyone basing a 10K purchase on something that you haven't played is just stupid.

Neil.

#1123 5 years ago
Quoted from stpcore:

Jersey jack Pinball did not invite me in to "review" the game. I was invited in to record a panel discussion with the creative team for our podcast. I tried to explain that a few posts ago. I am absolutely a pinball enthusiast. I look for concepts whenever possible versus harping on failures. I shared my thoughts honestly without bias from anyone at JJP. I take the time out of my life to host a weekly pinball podcast because I love pinball. I have never tried to suggest I am a professional reviewer or journalist.

Flynn - not having a dig at anyone when I said that... does you podcast ever review games?

#1131 5 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Is there a pinball podcast out there that doesn’t give their opinion or review on games? If so, what exactly do you talk about then?

Indeed. The point is that if you are a platform and you have early access you give first impressions - hugely important.

#1202 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

But you knocked them for a risk of lack of objectivity. What I said was the choice to use ppl like this was never about getting independent, objective views on the product. It was about promotion. It was about getting multiple information channels talking about YOUR product and coordinating information launch.
What better way to control speculation and information than to get the main megaphones to sign on the line with you and agree to YOUR schedule and coordinating?

maybe a little, but I know they aren't objective, others don't.

go to the pro's who know what they are doing:

https://uk.ign.com/articles/2019/03/26/black-knight-sword-of-rage-pinball-revealed-first-images-video-details-and-an-interview-with-creator-steve-ritchie

#1238 5 years ago
Quoted from stpcore:

How do you "know" this? Would love to hear how you know someone's thoughts and intentions. Sounds like you arent being "objective" and that's the irony here.

On Tuesdays and Wednesdays I can read minds - doesn’t work on Thursdays though!

Jokes aside - I know it because it’s human nature - its a “flaw” we all have although in my view it’s not a flaw it’s a glorious human strength to be positive about things. But the pro’s train themselves to cope with it but like any other profession it requires time, skill and experience and even then they often have first impression bias.

#1239 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Stern's relationship with IGN for it's releases is anything but independent and objective. They are secured launch promotion pieces.

Oh for sure but even with that they manage hype vs fact pretty decently.

#1397 5 years ago

just reflecting on having played the game a week ago...

I think those that love Lawlor games will love this, its super like Dialed In but less brickey on the shots and no theatre magnet BS. The shot into the pops is lovely. The upper right flipper works lovely. But that said it didn't have that one more go feeling to me as much as I'd like it too. I think this game has the potential to be very good but the code guys have it in their hands. Right now, my feeling is one of hmm, this is nice, shoot shoot shoot, hmm what now? i.e. a little boring.

I do think they need to bring into play the WW assets much more in your face, an oompalompa mode with that music booming, spend the money on candyman and get the order of the game more lined up to the movie.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

9,600 (OBO)
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Travahontas Mods

$ 32.99
Machine - For Sale
Daytona Beach, FL
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 91.00
$ 64.00
Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 25.50
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

9,699 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NeilMcRae.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/willy-wonka-reveal-details?tu=NeilMcRae and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.