92f1c59635afb8db992d8d3fd68f1ce8-2.jpg
harrypotter03.jpg
wonka-blu-ray.jpg
piq8qnz7T (resized).png
k0rp49wdvoi2 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #157 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by BoJo (5 years ago)

Post #158 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by pin2d (5 years ago)

Post #257 Feature matrix Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (5 years ago)

Post #396 SDTM gameplay video Posted by ZMeny (5 years ago)

Post #564 Rules Flowchart Posted by PanzerFreak (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Bublehead.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#635 5 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

Ever lasting Knob Stopper ?

Ever lasting Knob Bobber? Or Knob Slobber or ?!?

These callouts that follow make me think “Slot Machine” and no matter what, I can not shake the whole “Let’s violate something Iconically significant to make a buck” feeling just like all the other Slot machines in Vegas, WW&TCF being no exception...

Varucca Salt Qualified!
Augustas Gloop Qualified!
Mike TV Qualified!
Violet Beauregard Qualified!

This is my quick new math on it-

Pat Lawlor + DI + RCT + TAF + Oktoberfest - FUN = JJPWW&TCF

But I haven’t flipped it yet (as if that would change my mind?)

#1144 5 years ago

I really wanted to believe that Willy Wonka would end up finally being THE title from JJP that would entice me to purchase my first JJP machine. Unfortunately, this title was not the one for me after the reveal, the biggest reason was the toys. I was expecting something new, unseen, different. What we got was, well honestly, to me, NOT that. 4 flippers, some magnets, a “vault/trunk” rotating gobble hole that is almost the exact same toy as whats on Oktoberfest, in general operation if not the exact configuration. The artwork and the call outs remind me exactly of the WW slots in Vegas, both in their artwork, their callouts, and the animations, they felt like if you stood them sisde by side they would compliment each other. This is to be expected if WB has final say over the IP and it’s presentation.

I hated the slot machines... take a guess at what Wonka pinball does for me? Yep, hate it just as bad as the slots. And here is what makes it miss the mark... the illusion that the designer failed to achieve was “my” identity... who am I in this story? Am I Charlie, Wonka, Slugworth? Unknown Golden ticket seeker? But we know who got the tickets, we know who got the tour, so finding and collecting Wonka Bars in hopes of finding a ticket are kind of stupid from a players perspective. And using the newest term in pinball I hate, the child name callouts saying “Charlie Bucket Qualified” etc..., what ever happened to “is lit!”? Or using a charcter catch phrase from the actor from a scene when you qualify them? Like when I light Veruka Salt you would hear the “But I want one now!” audio, a grainy and poor animation of the character on the DMD, with a title screen that said what you need to shoot for next or what goal or feature you were building towards, like “two more tickets still out there” call out from anouncer from movie...

I think the identity of the player is the “Producer” or the person without whom this “story” could not be told or experienced. I, as the player, need to make everything happen... I must make people buy and open enough Wonka bars to allow all of the children to find the tickets... and give me shots that are worth thousands of Bars which equals points on my score... give me modes that allow me to build up the Wonka bars opened by each character... even give me some jackpot shot during a multiball that is the last golden ticket... but then end the mode and reveal the fake ticket and there is one last singular mode you have to complete to get Charlie his REAL ticket.

There just seems like there is no journey through the machine like a journey through the story. We are hit with the magic of Wonka like a hot blast from an oven, not with the wonder and anticipation of opening the door to the Chocolate room for the first time. Up until then, it was just a factory tour, not a once in a lifetime glimpse behind the curtain of someone who, flawed by his own inability to connect with the outside world, can connect through the thoughts and experiences of a child, an innocent, not yet spoiled by the greed of adults, but is pure in heart, a champion for all things good in the world.

Where is that feeling when I am done playing this machine? Is it in a cheesy backboard Wonkavator ball lock that is a rehash of TSPP couch? Is it in the spinning Gobbstopper/gobble hole aka trunk/bookcase rehash? Spiral magnets rehash?, Slot machine artwork and callout rehash? I was expecting something that this machine is not, and it does make me question where Pat L. and JJP are headed.

#1227 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I don't think they can keep up with the demand. People are gonna be pissed off waiting months while others get their pins based on no orderly distribution scheme like usual.

In the pinball business? I have no idea what you are talking about... <cough>CGC<cough>MBrLE<cough><cough>

#1300 5 years ago

I have written and deleted more posts in this thread after finishing them, that I finally have to let one stand. Pinball is just as random socially as it is physically. My goodness, look at us, we are arguing over an amusement machine, designed to crowbar money out of peoples pockets, and not just us HUO owners, but Mr. Man on the Street as well, as well as the operator who used it to crowbar Mr. Man’s hard earned cash.

They are stuck with god knows how many restrictions on the licensed IP, but even so, the rules are all Pat. They belong to him and his team and he has given me mediocrity in my eye... I compare what I see on Wonka with what I know, and I know every Pat game intimately as a competitive league player. This is not the best I have seen him do in the past, and even DI, a disaster of a theme but a marvel of design... I have to think DI was his best JJP game, and Wonka is making me want to look for a nice DI to sit next to FGy and Stewie. If I buy a Wonka, would someone trade me a DI for it? Honest question.

#1335 5 years ago

I find it funny there is this much “drama” in pinball at all. Back in the dark times, in the long long ago, before Pinside, RGP, or any place to gather virtually and talk pinball, the only time you got to talk and discuss pinball like we do on here was at Expo, auctions, once in a while a tournament, of if you caught your operator collecting from the coin box, or you were talking with your distributor.

I guess even pinball ended up with internet “influencers” and cliques and industry “insiders” that for some reason keep people coming back to Pinside for the latest gossip and dirt on. I remember everyone just reading Play Meter and asking each other what machine was killing it on earnings. Now we have to have a Gala Night at the Metropolitan Museam of Fine Art everytime a pinball machine is revealed? What happened to walking into your distributor’s workshop for a box of lamps and some rubber rings and seeing the latest title sitting on the shop floor and a tech under the playfield doing techy things? And let me just nip those thoughts about saying anything about LEDs and Silicone rings...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Daytona Beach, FL
$ 25.50
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 91.00
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

15,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Bublehead.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/willy-wonka-reveal-details?tu=Bublehead and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.