letter h (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
92f1c59635afb8db992d8d3fd68f1ce8-2.jpg
harrypotter03.jpg
wonka-blu-ray.jpg
piq8qnz7T (resized).png
k0rp49wdvoi2 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,434 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 29.
#401 5 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Seems like they are purposely staying in the family friendly niche. Toy Story rumored. I'd like to see them finally tackle a mature theme as well.

I feel like if they tried adult themes it wouldn't work for me. It would remind me of when MC Hammer tried to turn all gangsta rap.

#402 5 years ago

Black Knight on my wishlist: POOF!

Hello Willy Wonka LE!

#403 5 years ago
Quoted from Zimmer:

Im really disappointed. The best thing about the movie is the slightly evil edge it had. That has all been removed. I have yet to see one of the kids demises represented. No violet turning violet. No chocolate river. No boat ride footage. Ive never been so disappointed to save so much money.

It needs a Dark Wonka multiball or some kind of hallucinatory sequence with evil oompa loompas or SOMETHING.

Or better yet, devote a mode to that mysterious dude with all the cutlery outside Wonka's gates in the movie. Use some imagination apart from the obvious to surprise and delight fans and players alike.

#404 5 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Wow, tough crowd! I don't understand this place sometimes.

It’s simple. We are all douchebags.

#405 5 years ago

I’m headed up tomorrow.
Did I see they had 5 machines that they brought?
Wanna make sure I can get on one.

#406 5 years ago

Waiting for the "Wonka is awesome, yes I played it" thread.

#407 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

SDTM Gameplay: JJP Willy Wonka

Wow much better view of gameplay than the streams..thanks

#408 5 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Waiting for the "Wonka is awesome, yes I played it" thread.

Don’t hold your breath.

#409 5 years ago
Quoted from DeadFlip:

I’m headed up tomorrow.
Did I see they had 5 machines that they brought?
Wanna make sure I can get on one.

I think Emperor Palpatine was looking for you, it might be best to catch up with him before too long.

#410 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Then JJP Guns and Roses will be for you this fall. Hopefully they're back to fully hand-drawn art and not this photoshop crap.

Thats more like it. Still not a JJP customer since they're all $8k+. I don't think any new pins are worth that much.

#411 5 years ago

I had thought the Herman bash toy on my Munsters was lame, but now compared to the spinning gobstopper, I think he's pretty flashy.

Mind you ... I'm not comparing anything else about these 2 pins other than their respective main "toys".

I like Stern ... I like JJP ... I own pins from both manufacturer.

#412 5 years ago
Quoted from jellikit:

I think Emperor Palpatine was looking for you, it might be best to catch up with him before too long.

#413 5 years ago

The modes don't really stand out
The Hobbit beats on that score so far

#414 5 years ago

Looks flipping amazing! So many shots, toys, magnets. 4 flippers. I’m so excited about this pin!

I’m all in on an LE.

#415 5 years ago

Just saw a few people who could really flip show how much there is going on with this pin. I think it's fantastic. So much to do for all levels of players with tons of stacking opportunities.

I am in on a CE. My only disappointment is the CE backglass design. Seems a little plain, but there's not a lot of real estate to work with.

#416 5 years ago

Physical Ball lock that u can steal from the last person that played the game is something I want. Really paying $2k extra just for that cause I don’t care about the rest on the Le. He’s got my extra $2k lol in for a Le

#417 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Physical Ball lock that u can steal from the last person that played the game is something I want. Really paying $2k extra just for that cause I don’t care about the rest on the Le. He’s got my extra $2k lol in for a Le

Oktoberfest keg does this. Seems like jjp played oktoberfest at expo.

#418 5 years ago

We all would have been happier if Kaneda didnt hype this game so much. Our expectations went through the roof. It will be a fun game to play but I feel that no one is blown out of the water. I was expecting to play as one of the kids which would give different gameplay. No matter how much I watch, still will have to play to see if I like it.

#419 5 years ago

Is it really have 8 magnets? I swear i heard that?

#420 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

The modes don't really stand out
The Hobbit beats on that score so far

Settle down .. 40 percent code.. it will get better

#421 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Is it really have 8 magnets? I swear i heard that?

Yes, there's one in the middle of each of those mini LED cluster/circles.

#422 5 years ago

Wonka mb is cool as hell

#423 5 years ago
Quoted from jarozi:

Yes, there's one in the middle of each of those mini LED cluster/circles.

Holy shitz...

#424 5 years ago

What feature was Kaneda talking about that would blow us away?

#425 5 years ago

These newer pins seem to essentially be repeats. I looked at this and seriously thought - Wizard of Oz 2.0. Nothing other than theme that strongly differentiates. Originality seems be lacking in these machines today. Where are the new innovative artists ? Love my Lawlor and Ritchie pins but I’m ready for the new kid on the block with new ideas

#426 5 years ago

How about that yellow brick road machine...

#427 5 years ago

Pfft, i knew when someone said “they should have a chocolate river flowing in a tube with a ball...blah blah”, i knew some were going to be let down. Expecting it to be some life altering pin is idiotic, especially based on some podcaster. You also have the same trolls as always who have a rage boner for JJP and would talk shit even if the pin did a backflip... but that’s expected. Imagine that pathetic of an existence, no matter which Manufacturer the shit is slung at. Stern, JJP, CGC, AP....I like them all and I’m glad as a consumer there is so many solid choices.

WONKA looks fun, and as I expected, something my family would enjoy with something for all skill levels. Some new features and cool ideas, but overall an expensive box of lights, ramps and flippers. It looked like a lot of fun, even if the sound was sort of lacking (Theil is simply one of the best and probably will be missed). Either way, I’m definitely interested and will probably order one once I check more of the pin out.

Anyway you look at it, JJP has made a lot of strides. If they can release another pin in the fall, and start putting out two a year regularly, that’s a huge leap from just two years ago. JJP even getting their standard edition down in price is commendable, even though it’s still high, but they’ve finally made a large enough gap between the standard and LE to make it a tough decision for most buyers. Probably not at OP’s levels, but it seems like JJP are learning and getting better with every release. With all the manufacturers and their current and upcoming releases, it’s definitely a great time to be a pin player, and congrats to JJP and Pat for releasing what looks to be a fun game.

#428 5 years ago
Quoted from pookycade:

These newer pins seem to essentially be repeats. I looked at this and seriously thought - Wizard of Oz 2.0. Nothing other than theme that strongly differentiates. Originality seems be lacking in these machines today. Where are the new innovative artists ? Love my Lawlor and Ritchie pins but I’m ready for the new kid on the block with new ideas

Its Its nothing like woz? Design is way wzy different?

#429 5 years ago

New kids like Eric with ideas like Pirates?

#430 5 years ago

Kaneda was banned from pinside, how about we forget about him. The hype on this game was outta this world. Short of this game sucking you off and getting you another beer it had no chance.

#431 5 years ago
Quoted from monte_:

Maybe that multi coloured spinning thing. (Gobstopper)

#432 5 years ago

Here is my initial thoughts.

Wonka feels much like WOZ to me. The music, the LCD, the play field is loaded to the point of almost cluttered, and has the same kind of music, dings, and chimes. And like WOZ if full of amazing theme integration and color. I think the two pins are the most similar in theme and sound - though WOZ sounds more like - well - WOZ.

As I watch though I can't stop thinking that Hobbit is still the king of epic music, modes and movie asset integration. Smaug mech is awesome by turning to the ball, and player, actually 'talking' and breathing fire. The music in hobbit is unique and awesome on every mode, has tons of integration with the film in the sound, callouts, and movie footage. Smaug MB has a great startup effect, and killing him is one of the most satisfying shots and effects in all of pinball. The hobbit - and I get is from a 'kids' book - is still a pretty cool theme. Killing dragons, orcs, spiders, trolls - and the Gandalf call outs are pretty freaking spot on. The book, which I wasn't a fan of initially, does a great job showing the timer and clearly stating the next shot in the mode. I would really love to have a WOZ or Wonka - but I think Hobbit is the most fun to shoot and listen to

#433 5 years ago

I'm honestly surprised at how much negativity I'm seeing here. Starting to see why some people don't like Pinside, haha. There may not be anything groundbreaking here, but it looks like an absolute blast to shoot and that's what matters most to me. Rules seem great too. I hope I can get a chance to try it soon.

As for sound, I'm not sure how I feel... I was initially glad to hear the upbeat music (VS. the kind of music you find in The Hobbit, which is fantastic, but it doesn't really work well as pinball music), but as I listened more I started to feel like it might be *too* noisy. I've been thinking a lot lately at how lackluster sound design has been in modern pinball compared to the great sound packages created by guys like Chris Granner, Brian Schmidt, and Dan Forden (In my humble opinion anyways. Maybe I'm in the minority, but there haven't been any games in the past few decades with sound and music that has grabbed my attention like older games did), so when I heard they had some new talent doing the sound here I was excited to see what he would bring to the table. I'll definitely have to try this game with headphones whenever I find one to get a better idea of the sound package. Ultimately though I'll take too exciting over too quiet any day.

#434 5 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Maybe that multi coloured spinning thing. (Gobstopper)

That's all I can figure as well. Taking the gobstopper and hole combo as 'the feature'.

#435 5 years ago

I’m guessing there are more cool things in this pin that will come to light as code develops.

For instance with Dialed in, when you see the quantum theater it just kind of looks “so what” but considering there is a magnet under it and it can act like a virtual spinner, virtual bash toy, etc. the theater is a really cool toy.

#436 5 years ago
Quoted from mystman12:

I'm honestly surprised at how much negativity I'm seeing here. Starting to see why some people don't like Pinside, haha. There may not be anything groundbreaking here, but it looks like an absolute blast to shoot and that's what matters most to me. Rules seem great too. I hope I can get a chance to try it soon.
As for sound, I'm not sure how I feel... I was initially glad to hear the upbeat music (VS. the kind of music you find in The Hobbit, which is fantastic, but it doesn't really work well as pinball music), but as I listened more I started to feel like it might be *too* noisy. I've been thinking a lot lately at how lackluster sound design has been in modern pinball compared to the great sound packages created by guys like Chris Granner, Brian Schmidt, and Dan Forden (In my humble opinion anyways. Maybe I'm in the minority, but there haven't been any games in the past few decades with sound and music that has grabbed my attention like older games did), so when I heard they had some new talent doing the sound here I was excited to see what he would bring to the table. I'll definitely have to try this game with headphones whenever I find one to get a better idea of the sound package. Ultimately though I'll take too exciting over too quiet any day.

The bad comes with the good. Lots of hype is going to equal lots of let down. I think so many of us wanted JJP to knock this one out of the park...we made this much bigger in our own heads. I love JJP games and own 2, but with this one I am just not impressed, as much as I would like to be. I don't know why, but it keeps reminding me of that late night commercial where they are selling the unicorn poop.....must just be the colors. I can take the artwork, but the sounds are just annoying, and half the video clips make no sense as they are integrated. Hopefully they can add some real polish, and I will admit, it may be a lot better in person.

#437 5 years ago

Looking at the differences in models
Standard is missing : wankavator super lock

Where is that on the playfield?
Upper left corner ?

#438 5 years ago

The ONE dealer who even claims to have had them shows sold out. WTF?!?

#439 5 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Kaneda was banned from pinside, how about we forget about him. The hype on this game was outta this world. Short of this game sucking you off and getting you another beer it had no chance.

Amen. Dude had numbers and insignias on his hat, jeans, and jacket. When I see a guy dressed like that I instantly think “this is someone who I should definitely listen and pay attention to”....pfft, what a joke.

#440 5 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

Looking at the differences in models
Standard is missing : wankavator super lock
Where is that on the playfield?
Upper left corner ?

Yes

#441 5 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Don’t hold your breath.

“ You should never doubt what one is not certain of.”

~Wonka

#442 5 years ago
Quoted from captainBR:

The ONE dealer who even claims to have had them shows sold out. WTF?!?

From.what i gather there have been a ton of orders... its a homerun minus the usual 5-10 pinside downers

#443 5 years ago

I do wish the Wokavator area was themed a bit more, it's fine, just a little plain. Looks like a good opportunity for one of the modders.

IMG_0826 (resized).pngIMG_0826 (resized).png
#444 5 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

The bad comes with the good. Lots of hype is going to equal lots of let down. I think so many of us wanted JJP to knock this one out of the part...we made this much bigger in our own heads.

We made it bigger in our own heads because the horse faced guy who likes to wear chick jeans and lame caps told everyone that WW was the second coming.

#445 5 years ago
Quoted from monte_:

I think I figured it about. It's the Gobstopper spinner. Hitting things and watching them spin on a pinball machine has never been done before.

Quoted from mystman12:

You're right. Hobbit has mostly everything, except any fun.

#446 5 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

We made it bigger in our own heads because the horse faced guy who likes to wear chick jeans and lame caps told everyone that WW was the second coming.

Jack should have never let him in the factory.

#447 5 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Short of this game sucking you off

I mean, did you see that 40 match animation. Those oompa loompa's get into some interesting configurations.

#448 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Settle down .. 40 percent code.. it will get better

Kinda disappointed since my own imagination, expectations and hype were for this game to be a wide body and packed like WOZ with the flow of DI and the graphics of Hobbit.
Well, we all knew it was a standard body so that was just wishful thinking. Game doesn't seem packed with toys, but still has lots of goodies to like.
If code is only 40% then there is a lot of room to grow. Shots do look promising so will wait to play it at Pinfest.
My only drawback is as usual with JJP. Price!!!! Wish they would have pulled all models back by a grand. Really like the LE over the SE.

#449 5 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

... Short of this game sucking you off and getting you another beer it had no chance.

Whoa there Hoss ... no Toy Story spoilers!

#450 5 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Kinda disappointed since my own imagination, expectations and hype were for this game to be a wide body and packed like WOZ with the flow of DI and the graphics od Hobbit.
Well, we all knew it was a standard body so that was just wishful thinking. Game doesn't seem packed with toys, but still has lots of goodies to like.
If code is only 40% then there is a lot of room to grow. Shots do look promising so will wait to play it at Pinfest.
My only drawback is as usual with JJP. Price!!!! Wish they would have pulled all models back by a grand. Really like the LE over the CE.

Code is almost done way more than 40 mentioned earlier.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Travahontas Mods

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

9,600 (OBO)
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 25.50
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

15,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,434 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 29.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/willy-wonka-reveal-details/page/9?hl=pinballjj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.