letter h (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
92f1c59635afb8db992d8d3fd68f1ce8-2.jpg
harrypotter03.jpg
wonka-blu-ray.jpg
piq8qnz7T (resized).png
k0rp49wdvoi2 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,434 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 29.
#1351 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Wow! What a mess this thread is. Special When Lit guys, Zach, and even Kaneda were right, there sure is a lot of nit-picking and silly immature statements being made about a game 90% of you haven't played. Need to check out the Black Knight forum and see if you guys are ripping that one apart. I grew up watching this film and got to see, hear, and play the game at MGC. It is beautiful, shoots like butter, sounds great, and represents the film well. Is it the second-coming of pinball? No. It's just a great game with all modern stuff thrown in. Will it change the pinball landscape? Yes. JJP now has a game at a price point to directly compete with Stern Premium, AP, and CGC. So now when a buyer looks at price, they will be comparing directly to JJP, not having to consider paying more for JJP. That point has potential to change things. You guys are arguing about the middle part of the letter "H"? Grow up.

Pinside:

1. New game. Check it out everyone!
2. The game is awesome! Not it isn't! Yes it is! No...!
3. What a mess this is. Not everyone agrees!
4. We can agree to disagree - Upvote! Downvote!
5. What a mess this is. Not everyone agrees!
6. Off topic post.
7. Get back on topic!
8. Threads don't always have to be perfect!
9. Stop ruining my positivity!
10. Criticism is a form of positivity.
11. Get over it. It's pinside. Upvote, upvote!
12. No. You! Downvote.

#1352 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Pinside:
1. New game. Check it out everyone!
2. The game is awesome! Not it isn't! Yes it is! No...!
3. What a mess this is. Not everyone agrees!
4. We can agree to disagree - Upvote! Downvote!
5. What a mess this is. Not everyone agrees!
6. Off topic post.
7. Get back on topic!
8. Threads don't always have to be perfect!
9. Stop ruining my positivity!
10. Criticism is a form of positivity.
11. Get over it. It's pinside. Upvote, upvote!
12. No. You! Downvote.

Now im confused ... do I upvote or downvote if I like this post? Im not sure what stage we are at

#1353 5 years ago

With regard to the live stream, which was really great, I believe there was one more additional item that JJP offered for customization. I believe they said that the target balls could be interchanged with colored balls vs silver. Did anyone else hear that?

#1354 5 years ago
Quoted from SDpinballer:

With regard to the live stream, which was really great, I believe there was one more additional item that JJP offered for customization. I believe they said that the target balls could be interchanged with colored balls vs silver. Did anyone else hear that?

Not sure what "target balls" are but Eric explained to me that the scoring numbers on the backbox display can be changed to a different color in the settings. Also the remaining balls stacked to the right of the score can be silver or different colors. Pretty cool for owner's preference.

#1355 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Wow! What a mess this thread is. Special When Lit guys, Zach, and even Kaneda were right, there sure is a lot of nit-picking and silly immature statements being made about a game 90% of you haven't played. Need to check out the Black Knight forum and see if you guys are ripping that one apart. I grew up watching this film and got to see, hear, and play the game at MGC. It is beautiful, shoots like butter, sounds great, and represents the film well. Is it the second-coming of pinball? No. It's just a great game with all modern stuff thrown in. Will it change the pinball landscape? Yes. JJP now has a game at a price point to directly compete with Stern Premium, AP, and CGC. So now when a buyer looks at price, they will be comparing directly to JJP, not having to consider paying more for JJP. That point has potential to change things. You guys are arguing about the middle part of the letter "H"? Grow up.

Simply enjoyed the stream today, giving me more good insight to a game that I might buy after playing it. No one is "right"....good grief...

#1356 5 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Not sure what "target balls” are

Sorry. Captive balls.

Quoted from KingBW:

Also the remaining balls stacked to the right of the score can be silver or different colors.

Okay. Thx. That makes sense.

#1357 5 years ago

Is there no re-master of Willy Wonka? I am just watching the jjplive stream video and the video source material really shows its age. See all the artifacts in the video here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/413508090?t=09m18s

Rob

#1358 5 years ago

Garage pin night!
Great game, smooth shooter, cant wait for code/call out improvements.

20190419_231634 (resized).jpg20190419_231634 (resized).jpg

#1359 5 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Is there no re-master of Willy Wonka? I am just watching the jjplive stream video and the video source material really shows its age.

It’s intentional. They’re employing a filter to introduce dirt and scratches onto the film.

#1360 5 years ago
Quoted from Amused_to_Death:

It’s intentional. They’re employing a filter to introduce dirt and scratches onto the film.

Yes, and only on some scenes, they apply that effect when the oompah loompahs pull down a projection screen in the middle of everything, not when the video is full screen. I think it's a clever idea.

The movie isn't color graded like we're used to modern films, it's a period piece really at this point. It's not going to look like the Tim Burton one, which was a lot slicker and more candy coated, but not as appealing of a movie to actually watch I think most would agree.

Just look at these two images. Burton has the saturation cranked, everything is practically glowing and vibrant, that's the look he wanted. The original film is nearly 50 years old! It's got the look of the era. It might not feel as appealing in some ways if you're used to new films, but I think fans would be mad if you cranked up the saturation and redid the color grading.

9a97aaf1-e78d-496f-8d77-5b0c9153ceec (resized).jpeg9a97aaf1-e78d-496f-8d77-5b0c9153ceec (resized).jpeg
Willy2 (resized).jpgWilly2 (resized).jpg

#1361 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

...they apply that effect when the oompah loompahs pull down a projection screen in the middle of everything, not when the video is full screen. I think it's a clever idea.

I agree. It’s a brilliant way to graft scenes from a 50-year-old film onto the computerized factory score display. It’s reminiscent of watching old 16mm educational films in grade school, and I’m sure that’s the effect de Win was after.

#1362 5 years ago
Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

- Every memorable scene you remember from the movie will be represented

Does that mean they will show scenes from early in the movie , the world going mad for Wonka Bars , the kids finding the golden tickets , Charlie in school etc . From what I've seen it looks like the game starts from when they're in the factory doing the tour .

#1363 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Does that mean they will show scenes from early in the movie , the world going mad for Wonka Bars , the kids finding the golden tickets , Charlie in school etc.

DETECTIVE: They want your case of Wonka Bars. Mrs. Curtis, did you hear me? It's your husband's life or your case of Wonka Bars.

MRS. CURTIS: How long will they give me to think it over?

#1364 5 years ago
Quoted from Marcdaddy:

Garage pin night!
Great game, smooth shooter, cant wait for code/call out improvements.
[quoted image]

Fun night even though the game kicked our ass! A really great game loved it.

#1365 5 years ago
Quoted from Amused_to_Death:

DETECTIVE: They want your case of Wonka Bars. Mrs. Curtis, did you hear me? It's your husband's life or your case of Wonka Bars.
MRS. CURTIS: How long will they give me to think it over?

Yeah that was funny , all those early bits are my favourite parts of the movie . It would be nice if those scenes could make it into the game .

#1366 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Fun night even though the game kicked our ass! A really great game loved it.

Sure was fun!!! Need to get some rest thou.

#1367 5 years ago

#1368 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yes, and only on some scenes, they apply that effect when the oompah loompahs pull down a projection screen in the middle of everything, not when the video is full screen. I think it's a clever idea.
The movie isn't color graded like we're used to modern films, it's a period piece really at this point. It's not going to look like the Tim Burton one, which was a lot slicker and more candy coated, but not as appealing of a movie to actually watch I think most would agree.
Just look at these two images. Burton has the saturation cranked, everything is practically glowing and vibrant, that's the look he wanted. The original film is nearly 50 years old! It's got the look of the era. It might not feel as appealing in some ways if you're used to new films, but I think fans would be mad if you cranked up the saturation and redid the color grading.

BM66 is just over 50 and the remastered video footage is great. I would take that any day over grainy film style. But, that's just my preference.

Rob

#1369 5 years ago

Now that was totally random , but I liked it . Reminded of Tod Tucky at TNT.

#1370 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Does that mean they will show scenes from early in the movie

My understanding is that they can only really use the last 45 minutes of the film, due to license restrictions.

#1371 5 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

My understanding is that they can only really use the last 45 minutes of the film, due to license restrictions.

I only watched half the jjp stream, but this seems completely opposite of everything they indicated.

"If you can think of a memorable line in the film, there's a 99% chance it's in the game."

#1372 5 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Hoping they replace that Tilt animation with this video clip.

wonka (resized).jpgwonka (resized).jpg
#1373 5 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

That would explain a lot . Pitty , I was hoping to see the whole movie Incorporated into the game

#1374 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Check with the Sorny and Magnetbox retailers. [quoted image]

When I worked at a Pizza Hut in high school I noticed in the ceiling they had Alphine speakers. Same font, too.

#1375 5 years ago

I’m sure that once they finish polishing the code this will be a solid but average JJP game. Will it be the end all be all one I want to own? Probably not, but I’m sure I’ll enjoy playing it on location from time to time.

I think some of us older pinheads are somewhat spoiled by the classic ruleset formula of the all time greats. The rulesets of these pins are simple, but deep enough for the advanced players to enjoy. They follow a strict outline style formula, that identifies 5 to 7 iconic elements within their respective themes and write a dedicated mini quest for each one. Each quest has several targeted shots leading to a Multiball (mini wizard mode). If you complete the required shots during the mini wizard mode, you collect the object and a corresponding light on the Playfield illuminates. Once you light all mini wizard mode objects, The ultimate wizard mode is lit. Deciding what toys and mechanics to include in the game is already done by the formula. There is a toy or mech corresponding to each mini wizard mode object, with an extra toy representing most iconic element of the overall theme, being the focal point or center shot so to speak.

Let’s apply this formula to WONKA and see what we have.....

Each of the 5 kids and their personal experience in the movie, would make up one mini quest leading up to a Multiball (mini wizard mode), where you earn their golden ticket if you complete the shots. The movie scenes and callouts during each Multiball would be dedicated to that kid’s experience only. Lighting the 5 golden tickets lights Pure Imagination. Now, with the modes centered on each kid, you have a list of 5 toys/mechs to include.

Veruca Salt - eggdicator - indicates bad egg each time and then indicates good egg at the start of the mini wizard mode
Mike Teevee - Wonkavision - (already included) no polishing needed.
Violet Beauregard - Gum machine or model of her as a blueberry - Each shot squeezes her.
Augustus Gloop - Pipe - the pipe is a ball lock with chocolate river plastics around it.
Charlie Bucket - Fizzy Lifting Drink Bottle - Hit ball into the base of the bottle and watch it rise out of the top like a bubble

Finally, a model of a real wonkavator that can receive the ball, would be featured as a center or main shot.

Combine all of that with the correct callouts and movie scenes with sound and music, and I’ll pay 15k for it

#1376 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

That would explain a lot . Pitty , I was hoping to see the whole movie Incorporated into the game

Don’t believe everything you see on the internet. :p

#1377 5 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

No one from JJP has said anything even remotely close to this. At MGC Joe Katz said there is a lot more coming.

#1378 5 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Is there a source for this? I mean technically I know it's incorrect as the contract scene that we see in the game occurs with 52 minutes left in the movie, but maybe you mean just from the factory on? But where did you hear this?

#1379 5 years ago

Are the prices on JJP firm from distributors, or is there a little wiggle room. Thinking about getting an LE, and just wondering what actual cost is looking like.

#1380 5 years ago

Pretty sure he’s trolling.

#1381 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Don’t believe everything you see on the internet. :p

The "internet " told me there weren't going to be any video clips of the actors in potc , I asked my distributor and he said don't believe everything you read on the internet , who was right ? I'm not saying this is the end of wonka , licensing affects everything they couldn't even use the dog and the monkey in Pirates because of their agents .

#1382 5 years ago
Quoted from jester523:

Are the prices on JJP firm from distributors, or is there a little wiggle room. Thinking about getting an LE, and just wondering what actual cost is looking like.

Shop around and don’t bother calling any dealer who lists their price as “firm” on Pinside.

#1383 5 years ago

After watching some more of the JJP stream, and allowing the pre-release hype to fade, this is really looking excellent. I'm having a hard time talking myself out of a standard at $7500...

#1384 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

The "internet " told me there weren't going to be any video clips of the actors in potc , I asked my distributor and he said don't believe everything you read on the internet , who was right ? I'm not saying this is the end of wonka , licensing affects everything they couldn't even use the dog and the monkey in Pirates because of their agents .

Considering there is already at least one clip in the game already that disproves the “last 45 minute” statement...

#1385 5 years ago
Quoted from SheriffBarclay:

I only watched half the jjp stream, but this seems completely opposite of everything they indicated.

Just passing along what I was told directly by people at JJP. Might be video rather than audio though.

#1386 5 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Just passing along what I was told directly by people at JJP. Might be video rather than audio though.

There’s already at least one clip in the game that makes the last 45 minutes statement false. Who at JJP said it? When? Where?

#1387 5 years ago
Quoted from JamCat:

Let’s apply this formula to WONKA and see what we have.....
Each of the 5 kids and their personal experience in the movie, would make up one mini quest leading up to a Multiball (mini wizard mode), where you earn their golden ticket if you complete the shots. The movie scenes and callouts during each Multiball would be dedicated to that kid’s experience only. Lighting the 5 golden tickets lights Pure Imagination. Now, with the modes centered on each kid, you have a list of 5 toys/mechs to include.
Veruca Salt - eggdicator - indicates bad egg each time and then indicates good egg at the start of the mini wizard mode
Mike Teevee - Wonkavision - (already included) no polishing needed.
Violet Beauregard - Gum machine or model of her as a blueberry - Each shot squeezes her.
Augustus Gloop - Pipe - the pipe is a ball lock with chocolate river plastics around it.
Charlie Bucket - Fizzy Lifting Drink Bottle - Hit ball into the base of the bottle and watch it rise out of the top like a bubble
Finally, a model of a real wonkavator that can receive the ball, would be featured as a center or main shot.
Combine all of that with the correct callouts and movie scenes with sound and music, and I’ll pay 15k for it

This is more what I was expecting at the reveal and I was in for an LE but man they missed that by 10 miles so I'm out

#1388 5 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Warner Bros saw that the last couple of reels were all scratched and dirty and told Jack he could knock himself out with those.

#1389 5 years ago
Quoted from britrex1:

This is more what I was expecting at the reveal and I was in for an LE but man they missed that by 10 miles so I'm out

Yes, I was in for a CE and cancelled. It was going to be my first NIB.

POTC has really grown on me and I think I’m going to try and find an LE of that soon. I don’t care that they had limited licensing on it. They actually made an amazing generic pirate themed game. It doesn’t need movie scenes. The animations and graphics are just outstanding.

#1390 5 years ago
Quoted from JamCat:

Yes, I was in for a CE and cancelled. It was going to be my first NIB.
POTC has really grown on me and I think I’m going to try and find an LE of that soon. I don’t care that they had limited licensing on it. They actually made an amazing generic pirate themed game. It doesn’t need movie scenes. The animations and graphics are just outstanding.

I’m a pirates super fan myself. If you can find one you will love it. I’m in on Wonka CE and look forward to having them side by side.

#1391 5 years ago

Honestly, Potc looks different and better

Right ramp, left ramp 4 flippers ok

RS is more creative than Wonka

TWD blows it away

And I want a Wonka

But might revert to Potc

#1392 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

TWD blows it away
And I want a Wonka
But might revert to Potc

Grab a JJPOTC. Wonka will be around for a long time.

#1393 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

TWD blows it away
And I want a Wonka
But might revert to Potc

Wonka has a great unique layout with tons of shots and flow. Its only gonna get better buddy... give it time to get the jjp polish and treatment ... but the bones are there for a great pin imo. I like potc but there's disconnect somewhere for me but ill probably own it for a bit. I've had walking dead premium and roadshow and they were fun for a bit but didn't have the long term appeal in the end... especially rs.

#1394 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Wonka has a great unique layout with tons of shots and flow. Its only gonna get better buddy... give it time to get the jjp polish and treatment ... but the bones are there for a great pin imo. I like potc but there's disconnect somewhere for me but ill probably own it for a bit. I've had walking dead premium and roadshow and they were fun for a bit but didn't have the long term appeal in the end... especially rs.

TWD is imho the best pin ever. Played again tonight and still love coming back to it after beating it several times.

I don't think Wonka has the "unique" layout BigD. Potc does, but lacks in other areas.

I want Wonka but not sure its for me yet. When i hear "great flow" i've seen that pin many times before, its usually the same formula.

And i don't care about "flow". Way overrated.

If RS was rethemed as Wonka people would lose their minds as the most creative pin ever!

#1395 5 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

You have to take anything that Lawlor of Jersey Jack say with a pound of salt - these guys have one job right now: sell the game. How many times have we heard a designer say this is their best work?
The evaluation of greatness should be left to the players, not the folks peddling the machines to make a living.

A pound sure seems like a lot of grains.

#1396 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Now that was totally random , but I liked it . Reminded of Tod Tucky at TNT.

Thanks mate,

If meant for this clip,

It is a tribute to Pat

I dig Pats Excellence !

PL and TZ is amazing !!!!

Pat Lawlor is "THE MASTER"

#1397 5 years ago

just reflecting on having played the game a week ago...

I think those that love Lawlor games will love this, its super like Dialed In but less brickey on the shots and no theatre magnet BS. The shot into the pops is lovely. The upper right flipper works lovely. But that said it didn't have that one more go feeling to me as much as I'd like it too. I think this game has the potential to be very good but the code guys have it in their hands. Right now, my feeling is one of hmm, this is nice, shoot shoot shoot, hmm what now? i.e. a little boring.

I do think they need to bring into play the WW assets much more in your face, an oompalompa mode with that music booming, spend the money on candyman and get the order of the game more lined up to the movie.

#1398 5 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

Thanks mate,
If meant for this clip,
It is a tribute to Pat
I dig Pats Excellence !
PL and TZ is amazing !!!!
Pat Lawlor is "THE MASTER"

Ah.... That makes sense. Good job .

#1399 5 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

just reflecting on having played the game a week ago...
I think those that love Lawlor games will love this, its super like Dialed In but less brickey on the shots and no theatre magnet BS. The shot into the pops is lovely. The upper right flipper works lovely. But that said it didn't have that one more go feeling to me as much as I'd like it too. I think this game has the potential to be very good but the code guys have it in their hands. Right now, my feeling is one of hmm, this is nice, shoot shoot shoot, hmm what now? i.e. a little boring.
I do think they need to bring into play the WW assets much more in your face, an oompalompa mode with that music booming, spend the money on candyman and get the order of the game more lined up to the movie.

They can’t get candyman. Mars and Co. who owns it won’t license it to be used in the machine. Eric said this on the last stream.
I think the game looks great. You’re right though, the rules are going to be what pushes the game over the top.

#1400 5 years ago

I like the game to stay random and end up like roadshow.
Perhaps do the story mode to be the tournament option.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Philadelphia, PA
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Travahontas Mods

$ 32.99
9,600 (OBO)
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 91.00
$ 64.00
11,000 (OBO)
$ 25.50
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

15,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 1,434 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 29.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/willy-wonka-reveal-details/page/28?hl=screaminr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.