letter h (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
92f1c59635afb8db992d8d3fd68f1ce8-2.jpg
harrypotter03.jpg
wonka-blu-ray.jpg
piq8qnz7T (resized).png
k0rp49wdvoi2 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,434 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 29.
#1251 4 years ago

everyone who is nitpicking this art needs to seriously consider what you are doing with your time. cmon guys, its a pinball machine. the Letter H?

wow

just play the game and enjoy it. or don't; just don't ruin everyone else's time who may be interested in playing or owning one. its just so fruitless.

#1252 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Yes. They've always hyped consistency between playfields over the 3 models as a main selling point between themselves and the opposition.

JJPOTC had a different playfield for the CE also.

#1253 4 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

I would not agree with Pat Lawlor if he said that... he’s wrong.
Do Pinball games connect to the web yet? Do pinball games allow you to play your friends online? Pinball games are no longer incorporating mini games within the game, or fully using video Fx, pinball hasn’t been invovated the way it will be when the next group of fresh minded thinkers step onto the scene.
Pinball companies need to start looking to the future, new sets of eyes, with a new perspective, merge the old with the new. Every generation seems to learn from the past to build for the future.

I'm not sure innovation just to innovate is a good thing. It takes resources away from other areas and, frankly, is a waste for most of us. It's generally agreed that no one cares if the games are connected to the internet so we can play head to head and all that. I suppose people might like a "leader board" that the game can send a score to via the internet, but something I don't care about.

If you are talking innovations where it counts, on the playfield. Then, yeah, I agree and I'd like to see more too.

#1254 4 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

JJPOTC had a different playfield for the CE also.

Really? What was the difference?

#1255 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Really? What was the difference?

Green Davy Jones themed art. No Depp.

#1256 4 years ago
Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

I think what you've written about the artwork makes sense and I learned quite a bit reading your posts. 99% of us don't even have 1% of your artistic knowledge.

You're laying it on a bit thick there bro..

#1257 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You get the 3 or 4 drawings of Gene Wilder. Clearly that's all they had, they used it as best they could, and put candy over the rest of it.

I have to agree with you....they could have done so much more and make it look Stellar like WOZ ( which is a piece of Art, especially the cabinet). Too bad they don't look into a Licence before they decide to go forward to find out what is allowed. If it's Scarce, then move onto something else.

Could be a great game in the end, which Lawlor is known for. Just need to wait and see.

#1258 4 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

Too bad they don't look into a Licence before they decide to go forward to find out what is allowed.

Are you suggesting that they signed the agreement blindly without asking any questions or having any info beforehand? Seriously.

#1259 4 years ago
Quoted from HEAD_boss_HOG:

everyone who is nitpicking this art needs to seriously consider what you are doing with your time. cmon guys, its a pinball machine. the Letter H?
wow
just play the game and enjoy it. or don't; just don't ruin everyone else's time who may be interested in playing or owning one. its just so fruitless.

I was gonna buy one but h had me saying (H)ell no!!

But then I looked at the Cs and they are even better than I expected so it balanced out!

(c)e here I come baby!

#1260 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Are you suggesting that they signed the agreement blindly without asking any questions or having any info beforehand? Seriously.

I wouldn't put it passed them

#1261 4 years ago

John Youssi is one of the best artists out there and this could have been done much better.

#1262 4 years ago
Quoted from stpcore:

Pat Lawlor says in our panel discussion the he believes that Wonka is the pinnacle of what can be created right now in this century for a pinball machine. I feel Pat possibly knows a little more about pinball than most of us and I respect his opinion and analysis.

Lawlor is a great pin designer, but he is no oracle of pinball prognostication. He predicted in around ‘07 that pinball would be dead in 5 years. If that was true, all of this discussion surrounding Wonka would be moot.

#1263 4 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

You're laying it on a bit thick there bro..

Did you see his work on Aliens?

#1264 4 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Lawlor is a great pin designer, but he is no oracle of pinball prognostication. He predicted in around ‘07 that pinball would be dead in 5 years. If that was true, all of this discussion surrounding Wonka would be moot.

He wasnt making a prediction as he was referring to his belief on current affairs. He never claimed to be an oracle.

#1265 4 years ago
Quoted from HEAD_boss_HOG:

everyone who is nitpicking this art needs to seriously consider what you are doing with your time. cmon guys

To be fair, I don't think Aurich spent a ton of time hunting for things to nit pick.

His artistic eye probably picked up on it immediately, and he voiced his opinion. I appreciate him pointing it out. Doesn't effect my buying decision one way or another, but I like knowing about it.

#1266 4 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

To be fair, I don't think Aurich spent a ton of time hunting for things to nit pick.
His artistic eye probably picked up on it immediately, and he voiced his opinion. I appreciate him pointing it out. Doesn't effect my buying decision one way or another, but I like knowing about it.

I thought it was interesting, I never would have picked up on the subtle detail nor the fact the auto-trace caused it.

That said, this doesn't change the game for me even one tiny bit. It was just interesting.

#1267 4 years ago
Quoted from stpcore:

He wasnt making a prediction as he was referring to his belief on current affairs. He never claimed to be an oracle.

If Elon Musk says "the next Tesla is going to be the pinnacle of how cars can be created" and your response is "Elon knows a lot about cars, I bet he's right" then you need to calibrate your skepticism meter, that's all. That doesn't mean Teslas are shitty cars, but you can't go through life believing everything salesmen tell you either. Of course Pat said that, of course Gary Stern says that, of course Elon says that, of course Steve Jobs said it and Tim Cook can't quite figure out how to say it, but wishes he could.

Gary's been around pinball his whole life, nobody takes him seriously when he says the current Stern is the best game. Every time, right?

Quoted from pinlink:

Nah, it jumped out at me right away, hard to not see it if you're the right kind of nerd, I know I wasn't alone. It just didn't seem worth bringing up when people were excited, I'm not trying to be a dick. But then I got shit for having an opinion at all and so I took 20 minutes to put together a post, I freely admit partially out of petty spite.

Not towards JJP, but here I am not posting much about Wonka at all and just because I have a rep anything I say gets treated like I'm a nitpicker, so fine, here's my nitpick. Be happy hating on it, you're welcome.

#1268 4 years ago

Is it a widebody?

#1270 4 years ago

Damn, its going to be great

#1271 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If Elon Musk says "the next Tesla is going to be the pinnacle of how cars can be created" and your response is "Elon knows a lot about cars, I bet he's right" then you need to calibrate your skepticism meter, that's all. That doesn't mean Teslas are shitty cars, but you can't go through life believing everything salesmen tell you either. Of course Pat said that, of course Gary Stern says that, of course Elon says that, of course Steve Jobs said it and Tim Cook can't quite figure out how to say it, but wishes he could.
Gary's been around pinball his whole life, nobody takes him seriously when he says the current Stern is the best game. Every time, right?

Aurich, with respect can you just please stop? You are putting words in my mouth (I said that I had "respect" for Pat's opinion because he knows more about pinball than I do...I never said that I was in full agreement with what he said). You are telling me that it's OK that I made a mistake about the title of my podcast (you have never listened to my show and I've explained my thoughts there and in this thread a few different times. I didn't not ask for your forgiveness as an apology was never offered to you). I respecet that you can have your opinions but stop micromanaging me and what you think I've said. Stick to what you know and not what you think I said.

If you want to talk about the approach on recreating a logo on a pinball machine that's great as I know that you have an artistic background and you can speak from experience. But to go on and on trying to correct me isn't doing anyone any favors. If you have anything else you'd like clarification on I welcome you to PM me versus me having to read the unwarranted corrections you keep offering me here. I'm better off without your direction, thank you.

#1272 4 years ago

If anyone at JJP is listening, I'll hand trace the logo for you for free to fix it. Drop me a PM.

#1273 4 years ago
Quoted from stpcore:

Aurich, with respect can you just please stop?

Fair enough, done.

I don't see anyone really thinking the landscape has changed, there's no need to beat the horse, sorry for causing irritation, was not my intent.

#1274 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I thought it was interesting, I never would have picked up on the subtle detail nor the fact the auto-trace caused it.
That said, this doesn't change the game for me even one tiny bit. It was just interesting.

Ditto, while interesting to see, I literally don't care about the super minute details that are off about the logo. I love the game as it is.

#1275 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

...anything I say gets treated like I'm a nitpicker, so fine, here's my nitpick. Be happy hating on it, you're welcome.

FYI... today’s episode of Kaneda’s podcast has been brought to you by the letter ‘H.’

#1276 4 years ago
Quoted from stpcore:

Aurich, with respect can you just please stop? You are putting words in my mouth (I said that I had "respect" for Pat's opinion because he knows more about pinball than I do...I never said that I was in full agreement with what he said). You are telling me that it's OK that I made a mistake about the title of my podcast (you have never listened to my show and I've explained my thoughts there and in this thread a few different times. I didn't not ask for your forgiveness as an apology was never offered to you). I respecet that you can have your opinions but stop micromanaging me and what you think I've said. Stick to what you know and not what you think I said.
If you want to talk about the approach on recreating a logo on a pinball machine that's great as I know that you have an artistic background and you can speak from experience. But to go on and on trying to correct me isn't doing anyone any favors. If you have anything else you'd like clarification on I welcome you to PM me versus me having to read the unwarranted corrections you keep offering me here. I'm better off without your direction, thank you.

I enjoy your podcast but your last one was tough to listen to. You went completely off the rails to the point where I had to stop and come back to it after the buzzing in my head went away. If you're going to be broadcasting your opinion for public consumption, you're going to have to grow some thicker skin at some point. Your first bit of controversy and it's driving you absolutely bananas. If you're happy with your 'change the landscape' episode then that's all that matters. If you're losing sleep over people's comments about it then perhaps you need to re-evaluate things.

#1277 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Fair enough, done.
I don't see anyone really thinking the landscape has changed, there's no need to beat the horse, sorry for causing irritation, was not my intent.

Aurich, with respect, can you keep going?

#1278 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

I enjoy your podcast but your last one was tough to listen to. You went completely off the rails to the point where I had to stop and come back to it after the buzzing in my head went away. If you're going to be broadcasting your opinion for public consumption, you're going to have to grow some thicker skin at some point. Your first bit of controversy and it's driving you absolutely bananas. If you're happy with your 'change the landscape' episode then that's all that matters. If you're losing sleep over people's comments about it then perhaps you need to re-evaluate things.

I haven't lost a minute of sleep. It's pinball (which isn't my life). Sorry that my last episode didn't appeal to you but I certainly appreciate and understand your feedback. I felt the need to vent (since so many others have been) and since I host a pinball podcast I used that as an outlet. I don't post as much on Pinside so that was an easier way for me to discuss my feelings without cluttering up these threads.

I'm not going bananas. My skin is plenty thick.

#1279 4 years ago
Quoted from dts:

Aurich, with respect, can you keep going?

lol, Pinside loves the drama and horse beating for sure. I'm good.

#1280 4 years ago

"Come out to factory, we'll get together, have a few laughs..."

#1281 4 years ago

I think WW has the potential "change the landscape", in a sense.

Is it revolutionary...I don't think so, but I do think it has the potential to raise the bar and affect the competitive landscape.

Could you make the argument its layout and design is the best ever? Perhaps.

Could it be the perfect storm of gameplay, rules, theme, etc...for JJP and be a runaway hit? Maybe.

Will it have issues/delays in production and can they crank them out and meet potential demand?

How will the new model at a price point of 7,500 affect other companies and JJP's market share? I don't know.

I have no clue what will happen, but I'm not sure you could have a better layout than this...you might have different layouts that are just as good.

If this theme was Gun N Roses I would be losing my mind. I would love to see this re themed.

#1282 4 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

If this theme was Gun N Roses I would be losing my mind. I would love to see this re themed.

You cant lose what you ain't got Kenny

#1283 4 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

You cant lose what you ain't got Kenny

True, I can't argue with that.

#1284 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Green Davy Jones themed art. No Depp.

I think he was asking about physical Playfield differences. Pretty sure this is the first game with different mechs/features between models.

#1285 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

I think he was asking about physical Playfield differences. Pretty sure this is the first game with different mechs/features between models.

I mean unless you count POTC missing the star map and the guy on the pop bumper I think? Oh and then there is WOZybr upcharged for removing the monkey.

#1286 4 years ago
Quoted from britrex1:

I mean unless you count POTC missing the star map and the guy on the pop bumper I think? Oh and then there is WOZybr upcharged for removing the monkey.

Oh yeh, forgot about the WOZybr Monkey mech madness.

#1287 4 years ago
Quoted from Bazzy34:

This may have been asked...is the 7” LCD on the play field in the Standard version...? Thanks in advance.

No, but I expect pinsiders to begin arguing about which upgraded LCD mod has the darkest black levels and best off-axis viewing angles... 3 weeks before JJP ships the first games.

(I believe the LCD is in the standard version)

#1288 4 years ago

Yea the SE has the LCD

#1289 4 years ago

Sorry if this has been answered before, but how does the Standard Edition track Wonkavator ball locks? Are there like three lights in the back? Will there be a any representation of the wonkavator at all in the SE (an image of it on the back, etc)? And will the locked balls transfer over between games on the SE just like the CE and LE?

#1290 4 years ago

Jesus 'H' Christ.
i hope JJP figures things out before they screw up this title.

harrypotter03.jpgharrypotter03.jpg
#1291 4 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

I have to agree with you....they could have done so much more and make it look Stellar like WOZ ( which is a piece of Art, especially the cabinet). Too bad they don't look into a Licence before they decide to go forward to find out what is allowed. If it's Scarce, then move onto something else.
Could be a great game in the end, which Lawlor is known for. Just need to wait and see.

All of these licenses seem really, really strict. And the negotiating power, I'd imagine, is more one sided than balanced. I'd have to think style guides, branding, and all of the images and how they're rendered are often largely out of the hands of the creative crew, sadly. Maybe some are less restrictive, but we're not getting a Mucha-esque rendering of Gene Wilder combined with psychadelic fonts.

#1292 4 years ago

There's just nothing in this machine.

I mean, where is the levitating pinball on an antigrav magnet, that when you pass under the captive levitating ball 3 times, is atomized into tiny particles and sent to the Wonkavision area to be reassembled into a pinball? Just true greed by jjp to not include a hadron collidor under the playfield.

#1293 4 years ago
Quoted from Amused_to_Death:

FYI... today’s episode of Kaneda’s podcast has been brought to you by the letter ‘H.’

More like the letter F (Bomb) my ears are smoking after hearing that podcast! It is becoming clear to me now that Kaneda is 2nd guessing his CE purchase Mark this post.. Kaneda will end up cancelling his Wonka CE.

Kman I am a regular listener and wanted to say it’s a bit hypocritical for you to bash others for having an opinion on a game that differs from your own as you are a bashmaster on games you don’t like.

Disclaimer: I don’t wet the bed and really don’t give a FF about Wonka Logos, I vote with my wallet! If I like a game I will buy it, if not.. I won’t!

#1294 4 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

More like the letter F (Bomb) my ears are smoking after hearing that podcast! It is becoming clear to me now that Kaneda is 2nd guessing his CE Mark this post! Kaneda will end up cancelling his Wonka CE.
Kman I am a regular listener and wanted to say it’s a bit hypocritical for you to bash others for having an opinion on a game that differs from your own as you are a bashmaster on games you don’t like.
Disclaimer: I don’t wet the bed and really don’t give a FF about Wonka Logos, I vote with my wallet! If I like a game I will buy it, if not.. I won’t!

This is like the third podcast in a row where he defines rubes as anyone who drives a Civic as opposed to a Demon. We get it Chris....you have money.

Poor Aurich took some hits during that 18 minute meltdown. Chris doing his "dropping the mic" bit at the end was especially cringeworthy.

#1295 4 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

Poor Aurich took some hits during that 18 minute meltdown.

92f1c59635afb8db992d8d3fd68f1ce8-2.jpg92f1c59635afb8db992d8d3fd68f1ce8-2.jpg

#1296 4 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

This is like the third podcast in a row where he defines rubes as anyone who drives a Civic as opposed to a Demon. We get it Chris....you have money.

He does not appear or behave like someone who has money.
He seems to give off more of a desperate buffoon vibe.

#1297 4 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Kman I am a regular listener and wanted to say it’s a bit hypocritical for you to bash others for having an opinion on a game that differs from your own as you are a bashmaster on games you don’t like

I don't know how anyone can listen to anything he says after you sit down and listen to episode 338 where he praises how the world has changed.. and then the next episode 339 where he is the biggest hypocrite to walk the earth. You could literally make a whole show of him disagreeing and countering himself if you cared to cut and clip different episodes together. "the world changes today..." countered with "what did you all think could possibly change pinball that much?" Critiques games, art, and everything about products he's never even seen in person.. besides played extensively.. then bashes everyone who hasn't played wonka as uninformed and they should stop until they've played the game.

I thought people were bothered by the amount of people talking about wonka positively and then taking that as hype... then I listened to episode 338 today as I mowed the yard.. and good lord.. how can anyone listen to that with hindsight and not see him for what he is?

#1298 4 years ago

He’s good at what he does. Getting his name into the forums and getting people to his podcasts. I used to dislike them, now I enjoy them. Good entertainment, regardless if I agree or disagree with him. He made some good points in his last one, in his usual manner.

#1299 4 years ago
Quoted from SheriffBarclay:

There's just nothing in this machine.
I mean, where is the levitating pinball on an antigrav magnet, that when you pass under the captive levitating ball 3 times, is atomized into tiny particles and sent to the Wonkavision area to be reassembled into a pinball? Just true greed by jjp to not include a hadron collidor under the playfield.

Let alone a candy ball connector on the H.

#1300 4 years ago

I have written and deleted more posts in this thread after finishing them, that I finally have to let one stand. Pinball is just as random socially as it is physically. My goodness, look at us, we are arguing over an amusement machine, designed to crowbar money out of peoples pockets, and not just us HUO owners, but Mr. Man on the Street as well, as well as the operator who used it to crowbar Mr. Man’s hard earned cash.

They are stuck with god knows how many restrictions on the licensed IP, but even so, the rules are all Pat. They belong to him and his team and he has given me mediocrity in my eye... I compare what I see on Wonka with what I know, and I know every Pat game intimately as a competitive league player. This is not the best I have seen him do in the past, and even DI, a disaster of a theme but a marvel of design... I have to think DI was his best JJP game, and Wonka is making me want to look for a nice DI to sit next to FGy and Stewie. If I buy a Wonka, would someone trade me a DI for it? Honest question.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 91.00
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 32.99
12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 25.50
Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 64.00
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Travahontas Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,434 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 29.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/willy-wonka-reveal-details/page/26?hl=dergoetz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.