letter h (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
92f1c59635afb8db992d8d3fd68f1ce8-2.jpg
harrypotter03.jpg
wonka-blu-ray.jpg
piq8qnz7T (resized).png
k0rp49wdvoi2 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,434 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 29.
#1151 5 years ago
Quoted from apinballwiz:

Or make the SE at $8000 and the LE at $9000.

I commend them for lowering their price on the standard, but their price gap between the SE and LE is too high.....

#1152 5 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

I really wanted to believe that Willy Wonka would end up finally being THE title from JJP that would entice me to purchase my first JJP machine. Unfortunately, this title was not the one for me after the reveal, the biggest reason was the toys. I was expecting something new, unseen, different. What we got was, well honestly, to me, NOT that. 4 flippers, some magnets, a “vault/trunk” rotating gobble hole that is almost the exact same toy as whats on Oktoberfest, in general operation if not the exact configuration. The artwork and the call outs remind me exactly of the WW slots in Vegas, both in their artwork, their callouts, and the animations, they felt like if you stood them sisde by side they would compliment each other. This is to be expected if WB has final say over the IP and it’s presentation.
I hated the slot machines... take a guess at what Wonka pinball does for me? Yep, hate it just as bad as the slots. And here is what makes it miss the mark... the illusion that the designer failed to achieve was “my” identity... who am I in this story? Am I Charlie, Wonka, Slugworth? Unknown Golden ticket seeker? But we know who got the tickets, we know who got the tour, so finding and collecting Wonka Bars in hopes of finding a ticket are kind of stupid from a players perspective. And using the newest term in pinball I hate, the child name callouts saying “Charlie Bucket Qualified” etc..., what ever happened to “is lit!”? Or using a charcter catch phrase from the actor from a scene when you qualify them? Like when I light Veruka Salt you would hear the “But I want one now!” audio, a grainy and poor animation of the character on the DMD, with a title screen that said what you need to shoot for next or what goal or feature you were building towards, like “two more tickets still out there” call out from anouncer from movie...
I think the identity of the player is the “Producer” or the person without whom this “story” could not be told or experienced. I, as the player, need to make everything happen... I must make people buy and open enough Wonka bars to allow all of the children to find the tickets... and give me shots that are worth thousands of Bars which equals points on my score... give me modes that allow me to build up the Wonka bars opened by each character... even give me some jackpot shot during a multiball that is the last golden ticket... but then end the mode and reveal the fake ticket and there is one last singular mode you have to complete to get Charlie his REAL ticket.
There just seems like there is no journey through the machine like a journey through the story. We are hit with the magic of Wonka like a hot blast from an oven, not with the wonder and anticipation of opening the door to the Chocolate room for the first time. Up until then, it was just a factory tour, not a once in a lifetime glimpse behind the curtain of someone who, flawed by his own inability to connect with the outside world, can connect through the thoughts and experiences of a child, an innocent, not yet spoiled by the greed of adults, but is pure in heart, a champion for all things good in the world.
Where is that feeling when I am done playing this machine? Is it in a cheesy backboard Wonkavator ball lock that is a rehash of TSPP couch? Is it in the spinning Gobbstopper/gobble hole aka trunk/bookcase rehash? Spiral magnets rehash?, Slot machine artwork and callout rehash? I was expecting something that this machine is not, and it does make me question where Pat L. and JJP are headed.

Im still holding a CE spot but man this hit the nail on the head. Great post. After seeing wonka i cant get it out of my head to just buy a new deadpool pro and something else for the same or less money. Going to wait and play it at pinfest hopefully it changes my mind.

#1153 5 years ago
Quoted from jetspeedb:

Im still holding a CE spot but man this hit the nail on the head. Great post. After seeing wonka i cant get it out of my head to just buy a new deadpool pro and something else for the same or less money. Going to wait and play it at pinfest hopefully it changes my mind.

There's just such a lack of imagination in the toys. Just one example - they could have made the illusion of the shrink ray shrinking pinballs as they pass through the machine. When a ball gets shot in, it's diverted seamlessly to store off stage while a small family-guy/munsters/shrek-like mini pinball is output to store in plain view so it looks like the machine instantly shrunk your pinball. Then reverse the process to put all the balls onto the playfield for multiball. Could have been a very cool illusion, on-point for the theme.

#1154 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

When a ball gets shot in, it's diverted seamlessly to store off stage while a small family-guy/munsters/shrek-like mini pinball is output to store in plain view so it looks like the machine instantly shrunk your pinball. Then reverse the process to put all the balls onto the playfield for multiball.

Cool idea. Yeah, there's a lot of fun things they could have done. Agustus/ball getting stuck in a pipe. A chocolate river tunnel to shoot the ball through. Some decorative turning gears and moving conveyors that attempt to replicate the Everlasting Gobstopper Machine. A magnet that holds the ball in place while a bright blue spotlight is shined on it (have you ever noticed how Violet's hair lights up as she turns into a blueberry?). An upper playfield section that looks like the Geese Room with "good egg" and "bad egg" chutes for the ball to drop through. A Wonkavator that actually moves across the playfield on a rod. "Little surprises around every corner, but nothing dangerous." — Willy Wonka

Wonka Candyland (resized).jpgWonka Candyland (resized).jpg

Candy Land Wonka does a good job of capturing it all — and for only $24.00! LOL!

#1155 5 years ago

The skill shot could have implemented the good/bad egg idea. Basically with adding a door-latch,(somewhere along the shooter lane) and if short plunged you’d put ball in danger(think TAF swamp or rocket in TZ)

#1156 5 years ago
Quoted from Amused_to_Death:

Candy Land Wonka does a good job of capturing it all — and for only $24.00! LOL!

Wonka Candyland (resized).jpgWonka Candyland (resized).jpg

It just occurred to me what the modders can do with this game. Add some of the bits of the Chocolate Room that made us all "oooh" and "aaah" when we first saw it on the big screen. Lollipops, candy canes, gummy bears, mushrooms, etc. Just a few translucent bears on a wire would go a long ways towards adding some extra magic. Bonus points for the modder who gives us the WONKA gate!

#1157 5 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

inviting the podcast gang in to review the machine was not a great choice, they are enthusiasts rather than professional journalists like Martin or Jonathan who would have given a more measured assessment of the game. But no matter what anyone basing a 10K purchase on something that you haven't played is just stupid.
Neil.

This made me giggle. Thank you

#1158 5 years ago
Quoted from Bowlingpin:

The skill shot could have implemented the good/bad egg idea. Basically with adding a door-latch,(somewhere along the shooter lane) and if short plunged you’d put ball in danger(think TAF swamp or rocket in TZ)

I like this idea. A great skill shot is one of my favorites. I was over expecting something innovative, (coming of the wow of POTC) but will reserve judgment till I get to play it. The SE pricing allows $ for mods to make it more special, and I hope there will be amazing mods available (art and mirrored Backglass),

#1159 5 years ago

There are 3 skill shots in wonka that are good and the super looks very difficult .

#1160 5 years ago

edit: meant to post this in the Wonka Club thread

#1161 5 years ago

This has worked out perfectly, really. I think I fell into the mentality that in order to get a CE or LE I had to pre-order and be ready to pay on the night of the reveal because of the hype and the speed at which I thought the games would sell out - the hype was that big. That said, I love that I can now go to Pinfest, expect to play it, and do it the right way (playing it and then deciding). A LE still seems quite intriguing. I just hope there are some left to be had after I recover from another huge pinball opportunity that has come to me recently that I must act on. I'm sure at 5000 LEs I'll have time. I have no doubt the game will be fun...I just have to get over that big, underwhelming everlasting gobstopper toy (I just can't get into it when in reality it is really an essential toy to have in the game).

#1162 5 years ago

Played it enough at the show to know I'm ordering an LE (although the wife said she would have been ok with a CE!). I will always advocate for playing a game first before you jump to conclusions, but it's not everyone's nature, and that's ok.

That said, what I like and think doesn't have to align with everyone else and vice versa, but my time on the game and talking to the wonderful folks of Jersey Jack and KingPin Games really was a highlight that made the buying decision an easy one. There will be plenty to do in this game for years to come and I very much appreciate JJP's attention to even the most minute code details. Keefer, Joe K, etc. should be commended for their hard work in this area and I look forward to exploring the game as a home owner in the near future.

Thanks to the MGC crew as well, the show was amazing! I would 100% return.

#1163 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

I am going to make an observation - there are two groups of people right now - those who have played the game, and those that haven't.
Group that has played the pin - it seems like a majority of them love the pin or really like the pin, and think it's great, and likely even ordered one.
Group that has not played the pin - a majority of them do not like the pin, based upon what they saw on a stream or video.

Oh, I don‘t know, based on the videos, I‘ve kind of decided I probably need to get this game. There is a ton of material to be had online and I often find playing a game I am unfamiliar with rather unsatisfying. That being said my impression is that alot of the criticism is due to lack of toys - can‘t agree, though, with 4 flippers, lots of diverters and physical locks there‘s toys a plenty - and the good kind of toys, not extra playfields, etc. You‘re probably right about the playfield screens - they really add a lot to DI and they were never visible in the streams.

What really impressed me was the brilliant playfield layout and fact that all the shots were doable. Lighting is awesome. It looks like the rules are interesting and multifacited.

#1164 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Group that has played the pin - it seems like a majority of them love the pin or really like the pin, and think it's great, and likely even ordered one.

Group that has not played the pin - a majority of them do not like the pin, based upon what they saw on a stream or video.

I'd say the challenge any pinball company has is what is the best way to show a game, when most people will not get "hands on" time for many months to come?

Dialed In was a good example of something with a terrible debut but won people over as they actually got to play it.

Obviously this is why "themes sell games", just the theme alone will get people on board.

Besides that, within these constraints, most experiencing it online, what is the best solution?

I'm certain that hasn't been answered fully yet. It can be done better.

#1165 5 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

My guy would do all that for $75. $100 is most peoples minimum so is still a very fair price.

Could you PM me your guys contact info. I need some done thanks.

#1166 5 years ago
Quoted from PinDoctor82:

This has worked out perfectly, really. I think I fell into the mentality that in order to get a CE or LE I had to pre-order and be ready to pay on the night of the reveal because of the hype and the speed at which I thought the games would sell out - the hype was that big. That said, I love that I can now go to Pinfest, expect to play it, and do it the right way (playing it and then deciding). A LE still seems quite intriguing. I just hope there are some left to be had after I recover from another huge pinball opportunity that has come to me recently that I must act on. I'm sure at 5000 LEs I'll have time. I have no doubt the game will be fun...I just have to get over that big, underwhelming everlasting gobstopper toy (I just can't get into it when in reality it is really an essential toy to have in the game).

My wife hates the "Gobbstopper"

I bet some rather cool mods come out for it tho.

#1167 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

I am going to make an observation - there are two groups of people right now - those who have played the game, and those that haven't.

You should have been here for the DI reveal....

#1168 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

I am going to make an observation

I'm going to make an observation too. You copied and pasted your entire post from another thread, or maybe you copied it from here and put it in the club thread, I dunno. Here's the same fucking text, word for word in the Golden Tickets Inside thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wwcf-club-wonka-golden-tickets-inside/page/7#post-4947025

Either way it's part of a trend with Wonka fans, you like to spam this forum with the same content all over the place. Wonka wins best game at the the show award? Let's see it pasted into three different threads! (No one really cares about show awards that much.) There's a video with Pat? Link in in every thread with Wonka in the title!

Chill.

I think my least favorite thing about Wonka is becoming the people who are relentlessly hyping it. Before the game was revealed, during the reveal, and now. To the point where you're just literally copying and pasting your push. You've been here 4 months and have 1500 posts, try actually writing each one separately.

#1169 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I'd say the challenge any pinball company has is what is the best way to show a game, when most people will not get "hands on" time for many months to come?
Dialed In was a good example of something with a terrible debut but won people over as they actually got to play it.
Obviously this is why "themes sell games", just the theme alone will get people on board.
Besides that, within these constraints, most experiencing it online, what is the best solution?
I'm certain that hasn't been answered fully yet. It can be done better.

I think that for starters, the "overhead top down" view is not good. What we need is view from the player's perspective. Like a camera mounted that sits right above the player's head pointed towards the PF. (not attached to the player themselves, but on a stand)

#1170 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

You should have been here for the DI reveal....

I read the threads, heh. That was - interesting.

#1171 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm going to make an observation too. You copied and pasted your entire post from another thread, or maybe you copied it from here and put it in the club thread, I dunno. Here's the same fucking text, word for word in the Golden Tickets Inside thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wwcf-club-wonka-golden-tickets-inside/page/7#post-4947025
Either way it's part of a trend with Wonka fans, you like to spam this forum with the same content all over the place. Wonka wins best game at the the show award? Let's see it pasted into three different threads! (No one really cares about show awards that much.) There's a video with Pat? Link in in every thread with Wonka in the title!
Chill.
I think my least favorite thing about Wonka is becoming the people who are relentlessly hyping it. Before the game was revealed, during the reveal, and now. To the point where you're just literally copying and pasting your push. You've been here 4 months and have 1500 posts, try actually writing each one separately.

I did copy and paste it because I meant to post it in the club thread not here. But people already replied here too so I left it. You're not the forum police, so, yea.

#1172 5 years ago

I agree with Aurich, you don't need to cross-post in every Wonka thread.

#1173 5 years ago
Quoted from SheriffBarclay:

I agree with Aurich, you don't need to cross-post in every Wonka thread.

I didn't post in all 10+ of the wonka threads. And I've already rectified the one that I did, so, chill.

#1174 5 years ago

Too many WONKA threads, I never know which one is most relevant / interesting haha

#1175 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Chill.

I like how you told HIM to chill! That's rich.

#1176 5 years ago

There was a lot of hype on Wonka, expected something a little better, but still interested in this game....we'll see how it ends up being coded with animations and such.

#1177 5 years ago

This may have been asked...is the 7” LCD on the play field in the Standard version...? Thanks in advance.

#1179 5 years ago

Btw the guys are doing a wonka stream on Friday at 3central time

#1180 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Btw the guys are doing a wonka stream on Friday at 3central time

Cool. Which guys?

#1181 5 years ago

Sorry
JJP live
Eric Joe Keith JT
JJP guys

#1182 5 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

Too many WONKA threads, I never know which one is most relevant / interesting haha

Yeah, so there was one I had forgotten about, then I saw it again and there were over 600 unread posts ! I couldn‘t do it, no sir, I couldn‘t go through 600 posts about the hype, the lack of mechs and how awful the side art on the SE is. I probably missed a few insightful posts, too - whad‘ya gonna do ?

#1183 5 years ago

Is this the first game that JJP has changed the playfield between versions?

#1184 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Sorry
JJP live
Eric Joe Keith JT
JJP guys

Thanks! Looking forward to that. I am guessing links to the stream will be all over the Wonka threads come Friday.

#1185 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Chill.

Good point Aurich, but can't the same also be said for someone who posts something they dislike about WONKA and then having to read the same exact thing from 10 other people? How many posts have you read about not liking the SE side art, the gobstopper not being a 'real' toy, what's missing on the SE, how bad the reveal was, why isn't this the GOAT, where's the chocolate river, on and on...?

For Heaven's sake, it's a pinball machine! It wasn't designed to end world hunger, it was designed as entertainment for a bunch of people who have too much disposable income. If you (not you specifically) don't like the pin, don't buy it! If you do like it, buy it! It's great to have discussion about it, have a wish list that maybe JJP will take into consideration, but my goodness, let's put this into perspective.

The problem is that there's too much time between reveal and final product.

#1186 5 years ago

Potc LE and standard same field
CE different artwork

#1187 5 years ago

So many thoughts. So many opinions. So many good discussions. So many unknowns...

D3D2173C-0A19-417E-904E-36009EBBBFA9 (resized).pngD3D2173C-0A19-417E-904E-36009EBBBFA9 (resized).png
#1188 5 years ago
#1189 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Chill.

I'm just going to throw this out there from years of forum experience. Anti-hype people are just as annoying as the the hypers. They claim to be disinterested and above the fray, but really they are just as emotionally involved but it comes from the negative side. Since you're giving advice to other posters I'lll share some of my own to you: Chill. Drain this thread and any Wonka thread for the next few months until it's actually released and in the wild. Nothing new is going to happen in this time and you don't like the pin anyway. Otherwise do your best to contain your expressed annoyances to the actual machine and not the hype or the hypers. The pin was hyped, lots of people are excited about it -- it's not really productive to try and police this. Just my worthless 2 cents on the matter.

#1190 5 years ago

Want to ask us some of your questions directly? Tune into the stream Friday!

TUNE IN! (resized).pngTUNE IN! (resized).png
#1191 5 years ago
Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

Good point Aurich, but can't the same also be said for someone who posts something they dislike about WONKA and then having to read the same exact thing from 10 other people? How many posts have you read about not liking the SE side art, the gobstopper not being a 'real' toy, what's missing on the SE, how bad the reveal was, why isn't this the GOAT, where's the chocolate river, on and on...?

If 10 people post something it's probably indicative of an issue. If one person posts the same things 10 times they're just being a loudmouth. Clearly there's a mix of both things here. That's forum life. But copying and pasting the same post is just lazy beyond even the usual repetitive noise, at least write a new post to repeat yourself if you must. So I said something, deal with it if you don't like it.

The SE art is pretty minimal, to be kind. I'm not posting over and over about it, I had my say early and I was done. But the fact that you're seeing a lot of bitching is because it's not great. If that bums people out because they just want positivity I get it, I think the arguing can get silly and people should enjoy their games.

But we're here to talk, and let's be honest, there's a history of Pinside criticism bringing about positive change. We had a lot to say about Hobbit remember? What happened? They went back and rethought the playfield art and it came out way better. I wish I could have done that with Alien, I would have gladly taken the criticism to heart if that was an option, people said plenty of things I agreed with when they weren't being personal and nasty. Heighway wasn't enlightened like JJP, so it wasn't to be. Just to not be a hypocrite.

If JJP reversed course, heard all the bitching, and put the Gene Wilder image on the SE, do you think people would be glad there had been a fuss? I think so.

#1192 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If JJP reversed course, heard all the bitching, and put the Gene Wilder image on the SE, do you think people would be glad there had been a fuss? I think so.

Stick Slugworth and all the "bad" kids on one SE cabinet side and Wonka and Charlie on the other.

#1193 5 years ago

Jeez I can't believe this art "debate" is still raging.

If you don't like the SE art you have options:

1. Buy an LE
2. Buy a CE
3. Buy nothing (good day sir!)

Complaining endlessly on here will not change things.

#1194 5 years ago

I think the LE and Limited look great IMO.. to call the art terrible to me would indicate they missed the mark... The art direction was so bad you may confuse this pin with a Wizard of OZ LOL... yes the standard is too basic IMO... BUT, to me its 100% WONKA!

#1195 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

You know, I just talked about how that wasn't true. You're new here, so you don't know the history I guess, and that's fine. But you're dead wrong.

If you don't like the complaining about the art you have options:

1. Read it and move on with your life
2. Put the person on ignore
3. Drain the thread (good day sir!)

#1196 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Jeez I can't believe this art "debate" is still raging.
If you don't like the SE art you have options:
1. Buy an LE
2. Buy a CE
3. Buy nothing (good day sir!)

I guess you were not around for The Hobbit reveal. The art was pretty bad at reveal, somehow the art got really good when the game was made.

This isn't even close to raging. Go back to some of sterns releases. I wonder how they got the idea to invest into better art? They went from photoshop blah to by far the best art packages on pinball. Plus buying a pro doesn't mean you get a game that just says Black Knight on the side. So if JJP wants to try to set the bar with their games they cant go cheap on one of the models art when their competition isn't.

#1197 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You know, I just talked about how that wasn't true. You're new here, so you don't know the history I guess, and that's fine. But you're dead wrong.
If you don't like the complaining about the art you have options:
1. Read it and move on with your life
2. Put the person on ignore
3. Drain the thread (good day sir!)

Haha, ok. That's fair!

#1198 5 years ago

I ordered an SE, I too am dissapointed with the art, however not spending the same amount I spent on my 2nd, reserve vehicle. And that is my choice and I'll live with it. However, If JJP wants to be in Stern ballpark and gain customer share based on their pricing, then how can Stern put out a $7600 premium with excellent art (black knight, BM66, Munsters), and JJP can't? Doesn't have to be as great as LE, I get that, but come on put some different colors, lines, etc, don't need faces.

#1199 5 years ago

Aurich, I have an art question.

I rarely consider doing a powder coat on a game, but Wonka SE is one where I would probably do it.
Being whatever the total opposite of artistic is, I use caveman tools like online color wheels when considering options.

What color would you suggest for powder coating on the SE? If you are willing to answer that one, would you mind sharing your why as well?
PM is fine if you want to avoid the whining.

My thought were either Red or Gold. Red and Yellow tones fall on the color site as options. I don't like yellow powder, but I could see a candy red to compliment the royal(ish) blue and purple in the cabinet. Gold because of the golden ticket. I don't like orange even though it's complimentary to blue. Orange powder on a pinball just isn't pleasing to my eye.

#1200 5 years ago
Quoted from Hogbog:

Want to ask us some of your questions directly? Tune into the stream Friday!
[quoted image]

22 pm here in europe. perfect

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 91.00
9,600 (OBO)
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 32.99
Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 25.50
Machine - For Sale
Philadelphia, PA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 64.00
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

15,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Travahontas Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

There are 1,434 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 29.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/willy-wonka-reveal-details/page/24?hl=geddy2112 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.