letter h (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
92f1c59635afb8db992d8d3fd68f1ce8-2.jpg
harrypotter03.jpg
wonka-blu-ray.jpg
piq8qnz7T (resized).png
k0rp49wdvoi2 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,434 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 29.
#851 4 years ago
Quoted from SheriffBarclay:

Again I ask, where is the proofreading?

Isn't it "now"? These are prototype games. This is when these things get caught.

#852 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Isn't it "now"? These are prototype games. This is when these things get caught.

I get that, and I'm new to this hobby. It's more of an overall concern to me - if they're not catching this stuff now, could spell trouble on production (coupled with the well-documented QC issues in the POTC threads).

On a smaller note, seems like some portion of the 5 prototype cabinets/playfields/etc. could be reused in production games, but not if they've got errors.

#853 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

From the stream there is absolutely no reason to spend 2k for the wonkavator. Everyone one had a great time playing this game without finally getting it in after more than hour. These were developers who play it all the time too! 3hrs later there are 2 balls in the wonkavater! Whoopy!

You’re not spending $2k on just the wonkavator...

#854 4 years ago

I'm still buying one, but, another day, another spelling mistake, this time on the playfield. It's Gobstopper, not Gobbstopper.
So for those counting, so far, we've got spelling mistakes on the backboard decals, and now the playfield.
Again I ask, where is the proofreading?[quoted image]

You saw the post from Keefer where the art came from Warner Brothers with stuff misspelled right? And that it’s fixed in production?

Pretty sure you’re the only one “counting” so far :p These are prototype machines. This happens on prototypes. You’re getting way bent out of shape over prototypes.

#855 4 years ago

I have sometime found JJP flipppers to be on the soft side.
When I first got my DI LE, even on the strongest setting, they didn’t feel strong.
I had my tech re-build them and they became much better.

Wonka is one of my dream themes and I was really anticipating this release.
One of my concerns is the lack of the memorable songs during the gameplay; and not being able to hear any of the voices often with the clips.

Do we know if JJP plans on adding far more clips with the voices or incorporating more of the film’s soundtrack?

Love the 4 flippers, multiple magnets and variety of shots. The pin also seems to flow very nicely.

Will be interesting to see if the theme becomes more integrated with further code development.

#856 4 years ago

I get that, and I'm new to this hobby. It's more of an overall concern to me - if they're not catching this stuff now, could spell trouble on production (coupled with the well-documented QC issues in the POTC threads).
On a smaller note, seems like some portion of the 5 prototype cabinets/playfields/etc. could be reused in production games, but not if they've got errors.

They never use parts from prototype machines to make production machines.

#857 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

You saw the post from Keefer where the art came from Warner Brothers with stuff misspelled right? And that it’s fixed in production?
Pretty sure you’re the only one “counting” so far :p

He was talking about the Golden Ticket artwork. How do you know this ramp sticker wasn't created in house? Either way they hopefully caught it before production.

#858 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Pretty sure you’re the only one “counting” so far :p These are prototype machines. This happens on prototypes. You’re getting way bent out of shape over prototypes.

Yes, if I'm paying between $7,500 - $12,500 for something, I expect it to be flawless in spelling and grammar. That's just me, though.

#859 4 years ago

Has anyone confirmed the locations of the 7 Magnents ? I clearly have seen the one on the left upper flipper in action.. and vaguely heard Joe mention other littles ones on the playfield.

Anyone see these in action ? Or have info on their locations and uses?

#860 4 years ago

Yes, if I'm paying between $7,500 - $12,500 for something, I expect it to be flawless in spelling and grammar. That's just me, though.

And no one here would expect anything different? Again - you're getting bent out of shape over prototype machines. Not production that you're paying money for.

#861 4 years ago
Quoted from drained:

Has anyone confirmed the locations of the 7 Magnents ? I clearly have seen the one on the left upper flipper in action.. and vaguely heard Joe mention other littles ones on the plafield.

I got a shot of the underside of the playfield but the magnets are hard to spot. There is a ton under the PF.

#862 4 years ago

Since you're new, I'll do you a favor and tell you never to look at a Stern Spiderman. You're welcome.

#863 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

You’re not spending $2k on just the wonkavator...

I was replying to someone who said they were. So the standard doesn't come with an extra ball lock that is barely used and purposely dumbed down art work and no powder coat? Powder coat job $200 and make my own kick butt side art in photoshop and print it for free on the vinyl printer at the library? Other than the ball lock that was not used for hours on the stream none of the extras effect game play in the LE and are just personal preferences like glass and motor. Or wait for the golden ticket edition for 14k where the ball lock is removed? Tough call on this one.

#864 4 years ago
Quoted from drained:

Has anyone confirmed the locations of the 7 Magnents ? I clearly have seen the one on the left upper flipper in action.. and vaguely heard Joe mention other littles ones on the playfield.

There’s one in the center of each of the circular groupings of those mini candy LED’s, for a total of 6 (plus the left flipper hold for a total of seven). One of the streams or podcasts mentioned that they weren’t the usual powerful magnet that can grab the ball, but were smaller magnets to more subtly influence the ball path at certain times.

#865 4 years ago

Code suggestion: When you drain a ball, have one of the possible callouts be, "she was a bad egg."

#866 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

I was replying to someone who said they were. So the standard doesn't come with an extra ball lock that is barely used and purposely dumbed down art work and no powder coat? Powder coat job $200 and make my own kick butt side art in photoshop and print it for free on the vinyl printer at the library? Other than the ball lock that was not used for hours on the stream none of the extras effect game play in the LE and are just personal preferences like glass and motor. Or wait for the golden ticket edition for 14k where the ball lock is removed? Tough call on this one.

Yes because that’s all you’re getting with the LE, I’m sure you’ve left nothing out and you’ve clearly done this before and it’s all so easy and cheap.

I mean, if you’re going to make things up, at least be factual. To get a really nice sparkle colored powder coat on the rails, legs, and wireforms for only $200? Please let me know where I can get it done for that so I can use them for my other machines like my MBr SE. Plus labor removing and reinstalling those.

My library doesn’t have a nice high quality vinyl printer. It looks like crap you’d get at Walmart. I’d rather get radcals of some kind for $400. Plus where are you getting the high res files needed in photoshop for that size vinyl?

And you’ll need a new backglass too with new artwork. What will that cost?

Invisiglass and shaker another $400 plus shipping.

And lastly external sound control.

And wonkavator.

If you don’t care for the above, great buy an SE, as the LE clearly is not a value for you. But don’t try to force YOUR personal preferences upon others by lamenting about how much a “ripoff” the LE is and anyone who buys it is a sucker.

The CE isn’t for me but I’m not going to chastise people that buy it just because the value isn’t there for me.

#867 4 years ago

You don’t have to tell us you are new to the hobby. It’s pretty obvious.

If prototype games are being parted out to make production games, don’t buy from that company as they will soon be bankrupt.

Early dumb typos are no warning of impending disaster. Both spider man (you ooze you loose) and Batman 66 (villan vision) turned out fine.

#868 4 years ago

I'm getting an LE. I think this pin looks like a blast to shoot and I like the direction of the code so far. I definitely think this is one of the more inspired/creative layouts I've seen period.

I think Pat is in a groove right now. He's always been extremely creative with layouts, but to be this creative with excellent flow is perfection in design in my opinion. I think this layout looks to be more interesting than TAF or DI, and looks like it will shoot just as well as those pins do.

The ramps look like butter. I like that the ball can drop from the wireform down to the upper left flipper to set up the shot across the playfield. I like the 2 shots at the upper right back of the playfield...kind of reminds me of the robot shot in TZ. The third ramp shot from upper right flipper is great. I like that the Wonkavator lock carries over. The rotating gobble hole is cool and should feel satisfying to hit...I don't think its revolutionary or anything...but it's cool. 7 magnets...don't know how many diverters...subways.

I get that some people may be turned off a bit by the theme, but I don't know how as a fan of pinball you wouldn't be excited about this layout and design. To me, fun is the driving factor behind pins I like and theme is just a part of that equation. Layout, features, code, flow, how the shots feel, etc...are the most important things I look for.

#869 4 years ago

If a pinball manufacturer can't afford spell check (free since "clippy" in Microsoft word) how can we expect them to deliver games to the right locations? Do the JJP delivery teams have GPS? Do they have EZpass? I can't put a deposit down without these questions answered.

#870 4 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

If a pinball manufacturer can't afford spell check (free since "clippy" in Microsoft word) how can we expect them to deliver games to the right locations? Do the JJP delivery teams have GPS? Do they have EZpass? I can't put a deposit down without these questions answered.

I see what you did there.

#871 4 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Personal attacks on point today. This was exactly my point, but honda and Levi said I'm an idiot newb. I guess you agree.

#872 4 years ago

This will be my last post on the topic; there is a correlation between sloppy editing/proofreading and later problems in production. "You play like you practice."

Sorry y'all don't like errors being pointed out on games. Let's all just accept whatever we get.

#873 4 years ago

Personal attacks on point today. This was exactly my point, but honda and Levi said I'm an idiot newb. I guess you agree.

I didn’t call you an idiot newb? We pointed out this is not uncommon with prototypes and even a JJP rep said errors are fixed in production but you kept complaining anyways. Also you realize the post you quoted - he was joking, being sarcastic.

#874 4 years ago

This will be my last post on the topic; there is a correlation between sloppy editing/proofreading and later problems in production. "You play like you practice."
Sorry y'all don't like errors being pointed out on games. Let's all just accept whatever we get.

Why do you keep saying that when there’s zero evidence it’s true in Pinball? Look up “production problems on batman 66 and Spider-Man” and get back to me with your dozens of results.

Stop saying things that don’t make sense and you’ll start getting less snarky responses.

You yourself said you are “new to the hobby.” If that’s true pretending you know anything about the history of Pinball production and making ridiculous predictions of future problems based on a typo isn’t wise and won’t be well received by people who aren’t new to the hobby.

#875 4 years ago

I'm still buying one, but, another day, another spelling mistake, this time on the playfield. It's Gobstopper, not Gobbstopper.
So for those counting, so far, we've got spelling mistakes on the backboard decals, and now the playfield.

That’ll get changed. No way they can let that slip into production. Just as in the same picture, it seems as if the captive ball was relocated and redrilled, I’m sure the ramp decals were just to get a general feel for the artwork while building a prototype.

#876 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Why do you keep saying that when there’s zero evidence it’s true in Pinball? Look up “production problems on batman 66 and Spider-Man” and get back to me with your dozens of results.
Stop saying things that don’t make sense and you’ll start getting less snarky responses.

I’m confident JJP will fix these early errors, but to your point, substitute Ghostbusters (early spelling errors carried over to early production games and ghosting, chipping, cabinet cracking issues) for your examples and the results will be quite different. Stern doesn’t seem to have problems staying in business. And GB reportedly was one of their best sellers. Go figure...

#877 4 years ago
Quoted from Spelunk71:

I’m confident JJP will fix these early errors, but to your point, substitute Ghostbusters (early spelling errors carried over to early production games and ghosting, chipping, cabinet cracking issues) for your examples and the results will be quite different. Stern doesn’t seem to have problems staying in business. And GB reportedly was one of their best sellers. Go figure...

Yeah, spelling errors cause chipping and ghosting and cabinet splitting. And those spelling errors were so egregious, the ghosting and cabinet issues spilled over to Star Wars and Aerosmith!!!

Come on man this entire line of thought is making us all dumber. I can feel it. Like HAL at the end of 2001.

#878 4 years ago

This is alarming to me about this game. If you can't handle a detail like proofing your spelling, then what other details have you missed? It's just like resumes... my personal experience has been that people that have typos in resumes are the ones that are not qualified or like to inflate experience.

I know its small, but the devil is in the details... especially at upwards of $12.5K!

#879 4 years ago

Again I ask, where is the proofreading?

It's the same person who proofread Double Dragon III.

20190414_111020.png20190414_111020.png
#880 4 years ago
whathappen.gifwhathappen.gif
#881 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Since you're new, I'll do you a favor and tell you never to look at a Stern Spiderman. You're welcome.

If you need more "reinforcment", Ghostbusters too?

#882 4 years ago

Looks like a really fun game that will only get better with time....my only struggle is figuring out the $2K price differential between the standard and LE....not sure I get that delta....

#883 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Looks like a really fun game that will only get better with time....my only struggle is figuring out the $2K price differential between the standard and LE....not sure I get that delta....

It’s not really a price increase to the LE, it’s a steep discount on the SE.

Invisiglass, shaker and wonkavator make up 2k in value easily to me.

#884 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

my only struggle is figuring out the $2K price differential between the standard and LE....not sure I get that delta....

Standard: "What's the lowest price we can still clear a reasonable profit with to try and get back the people we're losing with these high prices?"

LE: "What can we charge our more affluent customers for some add-ons without scaring them off?"

It's that simple. Don't try and figure out the math or the value, not how it was calculated. These are emotional purchases, not rational ones where you can calculate the cost of a mech and powder coating. The margins on those extras are very high, they're charging by what the market will bear, not their costs.

Quoted from zaphX:

There you go. Just think about personal value.

#885 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wwcf-club-wonka-golden-tickets-inside/page/5#post-4941195

#886 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

It’s not really a price increase to the LE, it’s a steep discount on the SE.

Plus other stuff.. beautiful powder coated armor, shooter housing and Wireforms. External headphone and volume control, better cab art and back glass. Then invisaglass, shaker and wonkavator ball lock which is cool and has great lighting effects. All in all im fine with the 2k more.

#887 4 years ago

I bought a potc le, the powder coating if that's what they call it sucks and looks cheap. Wonka se black trim looks exactly like the cheap job on potc le...if I buy Wonka I am getting an se. The invisible glass is the only thing I would want. ...jjp has cheapen the le value in my eyes...all good stuff goes on ce....you dont even get a topper with the le s anymore

#888 4 years ago
Quoted from mtp78:

I bought a potc le, the powder coating if that's what they call it sucks and looks cheap. Wonka se black trim looks exactly like the cheap job on potc le...if I buy Wonka I am getting an se. The invisible glass is the only thing I would want. ...jjp has cheapen the le value in my eyes...all good stuff goes on ce....you dont even get a topper with the le s anymore

The powder coating on wonka LE is same as CE. It’s really nice. Not the same as POTC LE

#889 4 years ago

From what I’ve seen so far, the standard edition is pretty appealing: all the most important features, a loaded Pat Lawlor game for $7500! I’m typically more of an LE guy, but in this case the standard is attractive for $2k less, maybe $1500 less after some upgrades. Put on invisiglass, and a shaker, perhaps powdercoat legs, lockbar, and rails purple, and there you go!

#890 4 years ago

Posted this in the other thread too... Several quotes from TWIP article or a distributor:

1. Please note: artwork and inserts will be slightly different on production machines.
2. Jersey Jack plans to have games in customer homes within 60 days.
3. Production will start with Standard Edition games, then a run of Limited Edition games, then the Collector’s Edition games. After all the Collector’s Edition games are built, more Limited Editions and Standards will be built.
4. LE adds to SE:
- Limited to 5,000
- Sparkle Blue cabinet armor, legs and wireforms
- Exclusive cabinet artwork and backglass
- High gloss UV ink decals
- Wonkavator Super Ball Lock
- Numbered LE plaque
- External sound control
- Shaker motor
- INVISIGLASS
5. CE adds to LE:
- Limited to 500
- Candy Red cabinet armor, legs and wireforms
- Exclusive playfield artwork with sparkle
- Exclusive cabinet artwork and mirrored backglass
- Exclusive apron artwork
- 3D Wonkatania lit topper
- Everlasting Gobstopper shooter knob
- Red “Most Secret Machine”
- Numbered brass CE plaque
- RadCals
- PinBlades
- Laser-cut rule card
- Apron plate signed by Jack Guarnieri, Pat Lawlor, and John Youssi
- More surprises

#2 may mean the start of shipping? I wouldn't take that as all WONKA pins everyone has ordered will be delivered within 60 days.

On the CE, I'm not sure what it mean by the "Red 'Most Secret Machine'" or what the "More surprises" will be.

#891 4 years ago
Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

On the CE, I'm not sure what it mean by the "Red 'Most Secret Machine'"

Perhaps red instead of bare metal?

Secret Machine (resized).pngSecret Machine (resized).png

Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

...or what the "More surprises" will be.

White glove delivery service by a couple of Oompa Loompas?

#892 4 years ago
Quoted from Amused_to_Death:

[quoted image]

Who will also apply a liberal amount of Vaseline to your derrière.

#893 4 years ago
Quoted from Amused_to_Death:

[quoted image]

Correct on the most secret machine.

As for more surprises, getting some of the actors to sign the CEs is in the works. Not set in stone yet though.

#894 4 years ago
Quoted from robotron911:

This is alarming to me about this game. If you can't handle a detail like proofing your spelling, then what other details have you missed? It's just like resumes... my personal experience has been that people that have typos in resumes are the ones that are not qualified or like to inflate experience.
I know its small, but the devil is in the details... especially at upwards of $12.5K!

OMG . . . . Give me a break! You are comparing a typo in a pre production pinball game to a typo in a resume?

#895 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

getting some of the actors to sign the CEs is in the works.

Meh.

I'd rather see them come up with a replacement for the odd looking acrylic box sitting on the left wireform. Yes, I know there's a diverter under there. But there's gotta be a better way to hide it. That box looks stupid. I can't think of very many things that the aftermarket modders could do for Wonka, but replacing that box would be one of them!

#896 4 years ago

I just saw this on youtube:

#897 4 years ago

I heard that JJP is not going to provide a printed copy of their outstanding manuals anymore with any games including the CE'S. The features list doesn't say anything about manuals. Could that be one of the "more surprises " albeit an unwelcome one?

#898 4 years ago
Quoted from arcadem:

I heard that JJP is not going to provide a printed copy of their outstanding manuals anymore with any games including the CE'S. The features list doesn't say anything about manuals. Could that be one of the "more surprises " albeit an unwelcome one?

Pirates was already like that

#899 4 years ago

I thought the CE POTC came with a printed manual but none for LE and SE games. I had to buy a manual for my POTC LE. My THBA and WOZRR both came with printed manuals.

#900 4 years ago
Quoted from arcadem:

I thought the CE POTC came with a printed manual but none for LE and SE games. I had to buy a manual for my POTC LE. My THBA and WOZRR both came with printed manuals.

That's correct.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Travahontas Mods
Plastics
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball
Decorations
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 86.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
Protection
10,000 (Firm)
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods
Other
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
Shooter rods
12,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,434 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 29.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/willy-wonka-reveal-details/page/18?hl=apinballwiz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.