letter h (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
92f1c59635afb8db992d8d3fd68f1ce8-2.jpg
harrypotter03.jpg
wonka-blu-ray.jpg
piq8qnz7T (resized).png
k0rp49wdvoi2 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,434 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 29.
#651 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

They could do a good business selling LE RadCals to standard owners.

Saw a hobbit on the floor with rad cals... holy cow! Those things were beautiful! Has me really thinking of upgrading my pins.

#652 5 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

Not entirely true. Often you get to see one side of an end unit. In general I try to put my newest on ends to display. Example: The very “loud” t-Rex and bright red armor on DPLE on end absolutely drew attn and yes, even comments/compliments. Firm agree with MikeS.
Not having Wilder visible on the standard is just strange to me.

Do me a favor. Next time you get a new game put it in the middle of the row. Report back if you see a dip in initial earnings due to it not being on the end. Truly curious.

Thanks for operating games btw.

#653 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Happy to answer any questions from a guy who was there.

Thank you for the review, always nice to hear from someone who has played the game.

#654 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Welp. Looks like you'd expect a Wonka pin to look like if you've already seen the Blu-ray cover or the slot machine. Lots of inserts, lots of flippers, sure it's fun, JJP makes complete games. But already lost interest, I don't see any amazing toys, art is lunchbox regurgitated, sound is whatever.
Everything I said about licenses definitely applies here. I'm sure people will have fun with it. But I'm definitely bored already. Hype was overinflated, surprise.

How did alien work out? That sure wasn’t hand drawn. People in glass houses...

#655 5 years ago

My bottom line after playing Wonka is it is definitely on my radar, but not an immediate buy. I'm taking home an Alice Cooper today and super excited to get lots of playtime on it. That will satiate me for a good while before the itch returns. At that point a location near me will probably have one or can wait for the fall/winter shows to play again. I gotta say, if Zach from flip n out or Chris from Kingpin were to offer a show discount and no shipping to open at a show...that would probably put me over the hump come the fall/winter season...just sayin' guys.

#656 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

IMO the $7500 price gap to $9500 is too large for what you do get for the LE shaker, invisible glass can be added to the standard to bring it to $7800 then you have $1800 just for the extra ball lock mechanism?

And pictures of Wonka and the gang on the cabinet.

#657 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Was horrible the stream was blacking out and pausing. Maybe that's not Kevin's fault but it was blacking out. Plus the initial 20 minutes was a snooze and the big teaser video was too short. Should have been more to it. Then watching a mob of people try to keep the ball in play. I'd rather see a clean stream of the game even a produced gameplay with some close up shots of the ramps and whanot. I'm sure we will see that later but the initial impression for me was not that great. There is so much on Wonka that from the presentation I was only seeing the bottom 20% like the Wonka MB and the Wonka bars.

Mate , straight down the middle had the close ups of all the shots and the interview with Pat lawlor well produced. Buffalo did the live reveal you have to have an intro and cos it's live yes it can pause and blackout and what blaming people for draining the ball that's real life , come on . Ridiculous

#658 5 years ago
Quoted from Drenden:

How did alien work out? People in glass houses...

As far as innovation, art, and gameplay? Amazing, actually. Not Aurich’s fault the company was managed badly. If only it was JJP behind it, there would be a ton out there. I’d buy one for sure. Wonka...not sure on this, will need to play it.

#659 5 years ago

Really impressed by the $7500 standard.

Finally something to compete with a Stern premium, and man is it comparatively loaded!

Looks like a super fun great shooting game, agreed they probably gimped the standard art to push the LE. My pins are crammed in like sardines so could care less.

Definitely in on a standard whenever I decide to move on from Dialed In. Luckily by then the code will be complete and there will be some used ones in the wild

#660 5 years ago

The spouse and I played a half dozen games last night. We had both been excited for the reveal especially due to some recent podcasts, but her opinion of the game play was neutral at best (I liked it and am still interested). Plan to go back in a few hours and flip some more as I liked it quite a bit, and we saw the Wonka immediately after standing next to Steve Ritchie watching him play Black Knight one floor up. The Wonka reveal could have been managed better in my opinion, with a better introduction to differences in the models and a short game play introduction, without pandering to the rich family of owners, but then your mileage may vary.

#661 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

IMO the $7500 price gap to $9500 is too large for what you do get for the LE shaker, invisible glass can be added to the standard to bring it to $7800 then you have $1800 just for the extra ball lock mechanism?

Powder coated trim, legs, and wireforms inside the game too. Also better art and backglass. External sounds control as well.

#662 5 years ago

Just my 2 cents.. The original buckskin (yellowish) color around Willy Wonka to me looks too much like car undercoat paint... No pop to it..

I just did a quick mock up of blue around him.
I think it suites it better?

Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 11.27.13 pm (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-04-13 at 11.27.13 pm (resized).png
#663 5 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

LE stands for “luxury Edition” not “limited Edition” at least at JJP.

5000 games doesn't sound very limited anyway. Nib le's will be for sale for a long time.

#664 5 years ago
Quoted from Multiball33:

5000 games doesn't sound very limited anyway. Nib le's will be for sale for a long time.

I think this was done in response to the seeming no end of WOZ runs. This was JJP saying, 5000 and then no more. May not have come off as well as they wanted, but shows they are listening.

#665 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Keneda is such a duffus.

That’s all you had to say

#666 5 years ago

Am I missing something here, theme-wise?

I grew up in the 70s... I remember the book from my childhood... and it’s a book that I read to my own kids. But Dahl has lots of killer books. The movie, tho ... this isn’t a movie that I ever remember being an “it” thing.

I think about the iconic pop-culture “things” from the 70s and 80s and the Gene Wilder Wonka flick doesn’t really stick out as something people were just clamoring for.

#667 5 years ago

what bothers me is the sideart on the 7500 machine. basically says to the buyer “you bought the cheap machine so you dont deserve nice sideart”

that cab sideart totally sucks!

#668 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

No, you made a logical jump without enough rope to cross the chasm, changing the meaning of what I said. Pat's BUDGET at Stern was miniscule compared to what JJP is obviously giving him. He can have all the money in the world but it won't matter if there's no creative gas left in the tank.

My apologies for changing the meaning of your comment "Pat has run out of creative gas and is now in recycle mode."

#669 5 years ago
Quoted from Riffbear:

Just my 2 cents.. The original buckskin (yellowish) color around Willy Wonka to me looks too much like car undercoat paint... No pop to it..
I just did a quick mock up of blue around him.
I think it suites it better?[quoted image]

I was looking at that and thought the yellowish looked a bit meh I don't mind the blue you did also I thought there's a bit of empty space around him and could look good with the factory in the background .

#670 5 years ago

We watched the SDTM video w/ Pat and a 12 min YouTube video of gameplay before checking out the recording of the live stream. I’m glad we did it this way as our impressions are pretty favorable and know what the PF looks mostly like and how the sounds are in a quiet room.

I’m not entirely sold on the callouts, but as far as people complaining about the music, it may not be as cool as BKSOR, but I think it fits well. It actually reminds me of the background music they play in the Magic Kingdom.

When I think of fantasy/magical themes, I think harps, flutes, trumpets, xylophones, chimes, and whatnot and what I heard at least seemed to fit that bill.

#671 5 years ago

Is the song Candy Man in it? If not. That’s a major blow as it’s a huge part of the movie.

#672 5 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Over 12,000 viewers at one point too! Has to be a pinball record

I'm pretty sure that JJP paid for a spot on the front page, so let's not talk about this like there were 12k people tuning in just to see the game. A lot of users ended up there by default. If you followed the chat there was a lot of "wtf is this?" and "people actually still play pinball" comments. The second it was off the front page viewership dropped to around 2k users.

#673 5 years ago
Quoted from beergut666:

I'm pretty sure that JJP paid for a spot on the front page, so let's not talk about this like there were 12k people tuning in just to see the game. A lot of users ended up there by default. If you followed the chat there was a lot of "wtf is this?" and "people actually still play pinball" comments. The second it was off the front page viewership dropped to around 2k users.

JJP didn’t pay for front page. Buffalo Pinball is a partnered Twitch channel and one of the “perks” of being a partner is frontpage time. I’m glad we were able to provide some additional exposure for the game.

#674 5 years ago

Looks like a great shooting pin. Interesting layout. 4 flippers magnets will keep it interesting.

Price drop is huge news. Not sure why that is not getting more comments here. It was great to see monster bash come out lower as well. Yes you can always spend more to get more. But nice to see base machines more affordable. (And would be great to see them even lower, but that is why competition is good).

Colorful pin that has a good first impression.

Hope to play it at Allentown.

#675 5 years ago

Game looks cool, but I'm not fully seeing the hype level. My question is what songs if any will be in it, and if they plan on a lot more movie clips and call outs. I know it's early code, so hoping they have a ton more movie scenes to add.

#676 5 years ago

The whole stream is on youtube all 4 hours so watch it again without black outs.

Quoted from rai:

Was horrible the stream was blacking out and pausing. Maybe that's not Kevin's fault but it was blacking out. Plus the initial 20 minutes was a snooze and the big teaser video was too short. Should have been more to it. Then watching a mob of people try to keep the ball in play. I'd rather see a clean stream of the game even a produced gameplay with some close up shots of the ramps and whanot. I'm sure we will see that later but the initial impression for me was not that great. There is so much on Wonka that from the presentation I was only seeing the bottom 20% like the Wonka MB and the Wonka bars.
Couldn't hear the game at all. It was horrible (IMO) to present the stream for a mob conference room rather than a controlled studio environment.

#677 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Happy to answer any questions from a guy who was there.

How was the shaker integrated? Would it be worth it to add to the standard or not necessary?

#678 5 years ago

Will JJP ever make a straight up pin like a Richie or Borg,etc
They are beautiful looking no doubt but does every game have to be “feature packed”

Quoted from Shinemyballz:

Had they shown This SDTM vid instead of the "reveal" i think it would have served them better. The pinball industry is so behind the times with marketing in general.

“Which way it’s going” “river flowing”
That audio is hella annoying just sounds like gobbly goop
Wow that game looks like a mess
No different video or camera angle is gonna make it look better
There’s a movie screen on a pinball great

They bash stern? Munsters way better than this where do they get off

I saw another video of jack talking about the game and how great he is and this and that “I did this” “I did that”
It’s weird man
Is that the Star Wars screen?

#679 5 years ago

looks really fun! did anyone else just assume it would be purple armor?

#680 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Joe said World of imagination, oompa loompa, golden ticket, and I want it now.

The chocolate river / boat song is in there in its entirety. You can hear it in the video with the one guy playing who was actually good at pinball and managed to start some modes and multiball.

#681 5 years ago

This jjp pinball thing is getting weird
Everybody blowing each other staring at the goofy big screen
I don’t know man this shit is getting weird
Munsters even BK3 by a mile

#682 5 years ago
Quoted from Spacemanratso09:

This jjp pinball thing is getting weird
Everybody blowing each other staring at the goofy big screen
I don’t know man this shit is getting weird
Munsters even BK3 by a mile

I would suggest you to leave the "weirdness" then and go back to the stern room. No reason for you to stay here just to bash.

#683 5 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

what bothers me is the sideart on the 7500 machine. basically says to the buyer “you bought the cheap machine so you dont deserve nice sideart”
that cab sideart totally suck!

Looks like production starts in June so hopefully they hear the feedback between now and then and respond. If I’m not mistaken, the feedback on Pinside spawned the PF art change for Spooky’s RZ so it’s not uncharted territory.

#684 5 years ago

The more I watch, the more I'm liking it. I'm sure the code will be great when it's done. Hard to hear the songs a bit on stream, but sounds like they will maybe be playing during the different modes.

#685 5 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Looks like production starts in June so hopefully they hear the feedback between now and then and respond. If I’m not mistaken, the feedback on Pinside spawned the PF art change for Spooky’s RZ so it’s not uncharted territory.

Couldn't we just order a new sideart set of the LE and put on a standard?

#686 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Saw a hobbit on the floor with rad cals... holy cow! Those things were beautiful! Has me really thinking of upgrading my pins.

They are amazing. I did my POTC and looooove them.

IMG_0784 (resized).jpegIMG_0784 (resized).jpeg
#687 5 years ago

How is the Blue Disk Pad held on over the underground spinning disk ball lock mech? I can see that thing getting thrashed and needing to be replaced ever 4to6 months with heavy use. I hope there is a notch in the back of the blue disk pad to remove it and note just glue to keep it there.
Overall I like what I see. The left upper flipper with the magnet reminds me of a reverse roller games set up.
Good stuff from JJP!
A7E36DF6-8A16-4E6A-9EF3-D2D37FF5125A.pngA7E36DF6-8A16-4E6A-9EF3-D2D37FF5125A.png

#688 5 years ago

As far as Wonka features go, if I were to guy a Standard Edition, would it be possible to add at some future date:

1. Shaker Motor

2. Wonkivator Ball Lock assembly

RussMyers

#689 5 years ago

Tempted by the CE, but think i'm going to stick with the LE. This will put me with:

Stern - BM66, Deadpool LE, BKSOR LE
JJP - POTC LE, DI LE, WONKA LE
CGC - MMr LE, MBr LE, AFM LE

Non-discriminating pinball buyer here - what a great time for the hobby (but not my bank account)!

#690 5 years ago

I think we can all agree that a chocolate trim color on the Se would make this game pop a lot more than the black.

#691 5 years ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

As far as Wonka features go, if I were to guy a Standard Edition, would it be possible to add at some future date:

1. Shaker Motor

2. Wonkivator Ball Lock assembly

RussMyers

I would guess absolutely on the shaker motor, but no to the wonkavator.
but besides the cabinet art the standard seems like a solid buy.

#692 5 years ago

So: CE allready sold out?

#693 5 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Sure, just add $500-$600.

#694 5 years ago

Is it just me? Sounded like they were using some of the same callouts from JJPirates.
“Bonus X held” etc sounded identical among others.
Some callouts also seemed to fall flat with the game play while others seemed perfectly placed/choreographed.
Also, couldn’t they have used sound clips of atleast Gene wilder saying “Jackpot” multiple times instead of the voice actor?
I hope they make some tweaks but otherwise looks like a nice shooter.

#695 5 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

In theory yes, but for $7500 you shouldn’t be wanting to take a paint roller to the side or feel like a $400 radcal set are your best options.

#696 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

where are the Charlie clips or his audio? We need more varied actor audio clips JJP. Def didn't hit the hype but it still looks good.

Dude, you own a JJPOTC, is this really your main concern?

#697 5 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

In theory yes, but for $7500 you shouldn’t be wanting to take a paint roller to the side or feel like a $400 radcal set are your best options.

I agree. Just thinking of ideas for guys that care. I understand why jjp did this though. LE has to provide something different other than glass, shaker and a lock mech.

#698 5 years ago
Quoted from jrockne:

I would guess absolutely on the shaker motor, but no to the wonkavator.
but besides the cabinet art the standard seems like a solid buy.

OK, why not for the Wonkavator?

Just a physical install and code change, yes?

Is it just that JJP would not allow it?

RM

#699 5 years ago

The announcer in the game reminds me of ripleys...

#700 5 years ago

I love the gameplay, and hope we see a good video with direct audio feed this weekend like Jack Danger does for Stern.
The loud commentary really did not allow me to enjoy the livestream.

The sound bits seem like they were kind of choppy ( from what I could hear)
This is the first JJP ( Except WOZ) with the Absence of the Amazing David Theil, and it does show on what we have heard that he is not easily replaced

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Daytona Beach, FL
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Travahontas Mods

$ 32.99
9,699 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 91.00
$ 64.00
11,000 (OBO)
$ 25.50
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

9,600 (OBO)
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,434 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 29.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/willy-wonka-reveal-details/page/14?hl=screaminr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.