letter h (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
92f1c59635afb8db992d8d3fd68f1ce8-2.jpg
harrypotter03.jpg
wonka-blu-ray.jpg
piq8qnz7T (resized).png
k0rp49wdvoi2 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,434 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 29.
#601 5 years ago

During the stream Brett said there will be 500 CEs so I’m pretty sure you have lots of time to decide.

#602 5 years ago

I agree with the few that see through all the hype and see this standard (at $7500) as a game changer for JJP. I never got the Octoberfest theme but for $100, there is a lot of Wonka theme and game in that pin, like it or not.

Now, for an LE at $9500, happy that I have a POTC LE but pleased to see yet another pin out here.

#603 5 years ago
Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

In the game....I'm guessing that's where the selfie camera is hidden.

Would actually be cool if they could take your photo and shrink you into the Wonka Vision.

#604 5 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Would actually be cool if they could take your photo and shrink you into the Wonka Vision.

Pretty sure I saw that happen on the stream.

#605 5 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Pretty sure I saw that happen on the stream.

Anyone have a clip of this?

#606 5 years ago

Now on YouTube!

Intro:

Gameplay:

#607 5 years ago

If I had one piece of advice to give to JJP it would be to change the side art on the standard model. This is the version of the game that will sell the most and which 90% of location buyers will buy. Why put out something that looks substandard and bland! Stern has the right idea in that they usually put the best cab artwork package on their Pro models because that becomes that's the model that the general public sees. It doesn't cost them any more money to print side decals that actually look appealing. Just print the LE decals with a different background color for the standard and make the game more appealing and sell more games!

#608 5 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Lol
Someone over there needs to look up the word “limited” in the dictionary.
rd

LE stands for “luxury Edition” not “limited Edition” at least at JJP.

#609 5 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Kid Multiball? It just sounds so uninspiring.... And the audio was definitely a low point of the game.
Rob

Just as a point of reference, my son thinks that sounds fun. So it may sound super phoned in and generic to us, but in Pat’s video about the game they’re tying to make a game for all generations of pinball player.

So right now my son thinks it looks cool, and I like that the standard model has 4 flippers, 3 ramps, 7 magnets, and toys. Can’t afford one NIB (and wouldn’t buy without playing first anyways) but will be watching the 2nd hand market like a hawk.

#610 5 years ago

Theme is a big “meh” for me. I find the sound package annoying, and for some reason I find the selfie cameras in these games gimmicky and unneccesary. I’m just not into these kids movies of yesteryear even though they were a part of my childhood.

That said, I do think the overall execution of the theme is well done. JJP games seem to have a lot to capture the player’s attention. I do enjoy their lighting effects, creative layouts, and unique toys (the visual of the Gobstopper is my favorite on this one). I have no doubt that this pin will be a success, and I appreciate companies like this who continue to bring creativity to the hobby.

#611 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

If I had one piece of advice to give to JJP it would be to change the side art on the standard model. This is the version of the game that will sell the most and which 90% of location buyers will buy. Why put out something that looks substandard and bland! Stern has the right idea in that they usually put the best cab artwork package on their Pro models because that becomes that's the model that the general public sees. It doesn't cost them any more money to print side decals that actually look appealing. Just print the LE decals with a different background color for the standard and make the game more appealing and sell more games!

Couldn’t agree more. Between two games it’s lost, but if not it looks bland. Just reprint one of the others with different colors and call it a day.

#612 5 years ago

Never seen a single person on location comment on how awesome the cabinet art is as they walk up and play. Mainly because that would be weird, but definitely because you can’t even see it in a row of games.

Put as much as you can in the game to attract the player. That’s all that is needed in a location standard edition.

Now if you’re a collector and looking at a standard, that cabinet art stinks. But for an operator, doubt any of them care unless then plan to keep the game for their personal collection after it has earned its money.

#613 5 years ago

Morning thoughts:

-It was overhyped, but I don't blame JJP for that. There was nothing official said from JJP, just 3rd parties driving that.

-Lowering the Standard price is an achievement. That is big news.

-In the end it's another pinball. Not sure why we keep setting ourselves up for something that will change the world. I don't think there will ever be another leap like WOZ (or Pinball 2000) was again.

-I don't like that CEs are the new LEs, and LEs are essentially Premiums. In the end I think it will be a tough sell to move many $10k+ machines. Let alone 500 of them. FOMO will subside on this and people will evaluate whether they want to spend that kind of money.

-I look forward to trying it, I'm sure it will be fun. I was never going to be a buyer of a Wonka theme, but every day there is a new pinball announcement is a good day.

#614 5 years ago

My first impressions of watching the stream all day is that it looks really fun machine with lots of cool challenging shots . The rules and modes don't seem as complicated as some jjp pins which would be good for newer players but still deep enough for experienced players . Taking your picture for Wonka vision was a nice touch . I would have liked to see and hear more from the film clips they seem to play in the background and not have much effect in the overall experience , I would like to hear the characters speaking more and also more clips like Charlie finding the winning ticket Charlie in the classroom and the candy shop ect . I suppose these might be in The Wizard modes but they are hard to get to and I wouldn't want the other one's to get repetitive in general game play . I guess we were spoilt with the movie integration with The Hobbit and now I expect every pin to live up to that level . Would have also liked to have seen the Oompa Loompas more and heard their song . These are just programming things and could possibly change with code updates the Playfield design looks excellent .
Overall great job and any day and new pinball is revealed is a good day .

#615 5 years ago

I sure wish the standard had Gene on the back glass. The side art isn’t as big a deal since it could be put between pins but I want to showcase him front and center.

#616 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Wow much better view of gameplay than the streams..thanks

JJP could have released this, instead of the live stream where people were draining without hitting anything and toys were falling off and the machine was not leveled and can't hear the Gene Wilder call outs.

I like the pin much better now, but still can't decide until I play it.

Looks much better.

Quoted from pookycade:

These newer pins seem to essentially be repeats. I looked at this and seriously thought - Wizard of Oz 2.0. Nothing other than theme that strongly differentiates. Originality seems be lacking in these machines today. Where are the new innovative artists ? Love my Lawlor and Ritchie pins but I’m ready for the new kid on the block with new ideas

nothing at all like Woz, what are you talking about?

#617 5 years ago

I feel like the target demographic is at the right age for this. I grew up with this movie. People my age have more disposable income then say millennials. This should be a hit. Theme wise I would rather own this then POTC, Hobbit, WOZ, or Dialed In. Watching gameplay videos it certainly looks fun. I don’t have an opinion on cab art because that’s not where the ball is. My preference is that the cab is not all scratched up, otherwise whatever.

#618 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Never seen a single person on location comment on how awesome the cabinet art is as they walk up and play. Mainly because that would be weird, but definitely because you can’t even see it in a row of games.
Put as much as you can in the game to attract the player. That’s all that is needed in a location standard edition.
Now if you’re a collector and looking at a standard, that cabinet art stinks. But for an operator, doubt any of them care unless then plan to keep the game for their personal collection after it has earned its money.

Here a pic of one of the locations I frequent often. You can absolutely see the side art on games and it is something the general public sees as it is essentially a billboard for the game. Why wouldn't you want your game to look as appealing as possible, especially since it doesn't cost them any extra money? It's just dumb! With how competitive the pinball market is why handicap your games with bland art.
IMG_20190403_153534 (resized).jpgIMG_20190403_153534 (resized).jpg

#619 5 years ago

This is one of those no matter which way you go you will be wrong things - side art on pirates standard and LE is the same - people want the LE to be worth more than the standard. Now wonka is the other way.

#620 5 years ago

I believe Wonka lived up to all the hype. It looks like a super fun pinball machine, and some people may try and pick it apart but for me it comes down to how it plays. If the music gets repetitive, you can turn it down in settings, as for the cabinet art-you really don't see it wedged in between games anyway. My son watched the stream with me and he is interested-which now has me interested. It looks like a game that will be great for the entire family. If I can swing a $7000 Standard and I like the way it plays-then I will consider one for our collection. Black Knight also looks awesome and Superman 78' is already on my radar. This is such a fun hobby and I feel really fortunate to have all of these choices with pinball machines and live through today's resurgence. -Good times

#621 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Here a pic of one of the locations I frequent often. You can absolutely see the side art on games and it is something the general public sees. Why wouldn't you want your game to look as appealing as possible, especially since it doesn't cost them any extra money? It's just dumb! With how competitive the pinball market is why handicap your games with bland art.[quoted image]

No harm in making them look as good as you can especially when it's a design thing and not a money thing

#622 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Here a pic of one of the locations I frequent often. You can absolutely see the side art on games and it is something the general public sees as it is essentially a billboard for the game. Why wouldn't you want your game to look as appealing as possible, especially since it doesn't cost them any extra money? It's just dumb! With how competitive the pinball market is why handicap your games with bland art.
[quoted image]

It almost seems as if someone said internally “we can’t let the $7500 model canabalize the $9500 model so there needs to be some more reasons to incentivize the $9500 purchase” and then went with generic cab art for the base model so the $9500 looks nicer. Not a fan of this approach. Make all models look nice and make the $9500 model worth it through unnecessary bling, toppers, shakers, and invisiglass.

#623 5 years ago
Quoted from cheshirefilms:

No chocolate waterfall backboard= no sale
Pirates had a starfield

Make a topper with a real one so your guests can spill chocolate all over the place!

#624 5 years ago

I was never a fan of JJP

Delays, misinformation, etc.

Over time JJP settled down & became more transparant so I began to forgive/forget.

I was turning into a potential customer during the DI reveal but the theme killed it.

Here again I'm considering a JJP pin but this time its a $2K ball lock & bland art stopping me.

I'm not silly enough to think I matter but I do wonder how many others there are like me who were about to give JJP a shot but scared off by the $10K price for the complete game after S&H

Especially now that sales tax is collected in many states.

#625 5 years ago

I think people are underestimating the physical ball lock, which you don’t get in the standard. When you unleash the wonkavator multiball it feels awesome.

#626 5 years ago

Wow! Lots to do!

515D0BC8-9038-4E6C-ACA6-F574D6103080 (resized).png515D0BC8-9038-4E6C-ACA6-F574D6103080 (resized).png
#627 5 years ago

Does anyone yet have a complete "song list"? Curious if "Candyman" or others are in there ...

#628 5 years ago
Quoted from Hawks:

Oh man, I’m in!
Got me a CE WW, so excited
My first JJ, been patiently waiting for them to nail the right theme for me & this is the one
I’m a Stern man usually, cause they nail it with the best themes
Happy to have the best pinball manufacturers co-existing in my man cave
Also thank you Bronwyn, my beautiful wife for giving me the A’OK to order this gem

Good for you!

JJP pins are AWSOME (I own Woz and DI both LE) they are super fun and never leaving. The more I see of Wonka the more I like it.

#629 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Not entirely true. Often you get to see one side of an end unit. In general I try to put my newest on ends to display. Example: The very “loud” t-Rex and bright red armor on DPLE on end absolutely drew attn and yes, even comments/compliments. Firm agree with MikeS.

Not having Wilder visible on the standard is just strange to me.

#630 5 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Wow! Lots to do!
[quoted image]

Yes.

The presentation was horrible on the live stream.

Computer awards look great so much to do in this pin!

#631 5 years ago

Game looks goid. Will be playing !!

#632 5 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

It almost seems as if someone said internally “we can’t let the $7500 model canabalize the $9500 model so there needs to be some more reasons to incentivize the $9500 purchase” and then went with generic cab art for the base model so the $9500 looks nicer. Not a fan of this approach. Make all models look nice and make the $9500 model worth it through unnecessary bling, toppers, shakers, and invisiglass.

Exactly! JJP is losing badly to Stern already in terms of art packages and now they are intentionally gimping the art packages on their own games to make them look worse and less appealing. It's a terrible approach and it doesn't make it look like they are valuing their "budget" customers who are still shelling out $7500 (plus tax and shipping) for a game. Compare the standard cab artwork to an Alice Cooper, Munsters, Deadpool, or Iron Maiden and it looks like dog shit. Unacceptable for 2019.

#633 5 years ago

BTW- I am eating my hat this morning for breakfast(I had to coat it with powdered sugar to get it down). I said "Black Knight will blow Wonka away!"

........Well let's just say-"BOTH of them blew me away" and it is a tie

#634 5 years ago

I will make an observation - last night there was always lines of people waiting to play Wonka. BKSoR you could walk up and play any time you wanted, no line.

#635 5 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

Ever lasting Knob Stopper ?

Ever lasting Knob Bobber? Or Knob Slobber or ?!?

These callouts that follow make me think “Slot Machine” and no matter what, I can not shake the whole “Let’s violate something Iconically significant to make a buck” feeling just like all the other Slot machines in Vegas, WW&TCF being no exception...

Varucca Salt Qualified!
Augustas Gloop Qualified!
Mike TV Qualified!
Violet Beauregard Qualified!

This is my quick new math on it-

Pat Lawlor + DI + RCT + TAF + Oktoberfest - FUN = JJPWW&TCF

But I haven’t flipped it yet (as if that would change my mind?)

#636 5 years ago

IMO the $7500 price gap to $9500 is too large for what you do get for the LE shaker, invisible glass can be added to the standard to bring it to $7800 then you have $1800 just for the extra ball lock mechanism?

#637 5 years ago

Again, I must be weird because I like the standard cabinet. I don't need to see a million Genes everywhere, I like a simple cabinet to contrast with the playfield. Just giving a different point of view, carry on.

#638 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Yes.
The presentation was horrible on the live stream.

I didn't think the Stream was horrible I really enjoyed it and would like to give a big thank you to Kevin and buffalo pinball for giving their time for free to give us something to watch

#639 5 years ago

Keneda is such a duffus. He just said on his podcast hurry and buy the CE because 500 units will sell out super quick then he said maybe he should buy 2 so he could flip one for profit.

#640 5 years ago

No doubt you are weird - I mean that’s well established - but the LE artwork is much nicer for me. However, to each his own.

#641 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I didn't think the Stream was horrible I really enjoyed it and would like to give a big thank you to Kevin and buffalo pinball for giving their time for free to give us something to watch

Over 12,000 viewers at one point too! Has to be a pinball record

#642 5 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Over 12,000 viewers at one point too

Was that when they were playing Minecraft

#643 5 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

So, when Kaneda spouted off about it not being like anything you've ever seen before and blowing everything away for essentially all of eternity, what exactly did he mean by that?

Sure, he was full of crap all those other times but THIS time he's telling the truth?

#644 5 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Again, I must be weird because I like the standard cabinet. I don't need to see a million Genes everywhere, I like a simple cabinet to contrast with the playfield. Just giving a different point of view, carry on.

To each their own. May be the first time the modders come up with cabinet decal mods. Like a Gene Fathead to slap somewhere on the side with some candy stickers to go around (began this as a joke, but after thinking about some of the mods out there, now putting this at a 2/3rds chance of actually happening).

#645 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Was horrible the stream was blacking out and pausing. Maybe that's not Kevin's fault but it was blacking out. Plus the initial 20 minutes was a snooze and the big teaser video was too short. Should have been more to it. Then watching a mob of people try to keep the ball in play. I'd rather see a clean stream of the game even a produced gameplay with some close up shots of the ramps and whanot. I'm sure we will see that later but the initial impression for me was not that great. There is so much on Wonka that from the presentation I was only seeing the bottom 20% like the Wonka MB and the Wonka bars.

Couldn't hear the game at all. It was horrible (IMO) to present the stream for a mob conference room rather than a controlled studio environment.

#646 5 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Over 12,000 viewers at one point too! Has to be a pinball record

I believe every reveal stream I've seen in the past is in the ~2000 range. That was a major jump.

#647 5 years ago

Played at least 10 games on this last night. It is another beautiful pin by JJP. You can't deny how nice it looks just sitting there. It shoots and flows like Dialed In. Not super fast, but silky smooth. Shots are not hard to find or hit except that right upper loop from the left flipper. You have to hit it in the sweet spot to make it to the wonkavator. I wish I could have heard the sounds better, because after a glimpse of the stdm clips they really add and pop. There is a lot to like and what is there is not as obvious. You really have to get a little deep into the game to see some features. Things you won't see your first game or two. Gobstopper multiball is an easy achievement once you learn how to safely return the ball to your flippers. Spoke at length with Joe Katz and some rules are pretty cool. There are 3 Wonka bar inserts(on ramps). Hitting those earns Wonka bars which equal bonus at end of ball...but they carry over and are additive throughout your game. The modes are cool and seem to be unique. One had you hitting ramps and another was combo driven, I think. There were times when your picture was taken and went into wokavision. That was cool. Will there be more to that? Lighting was amazing and beautiful...standard for JJP. It's not in your face, strobing, blinding flashers, like newer Sterns (SW, BK3, etc). Final say for me is that it is another great JJP game. I need to learn the rules and get some more plays before I can say I am in. Went up and played Dialed in after and I think if you liked DI but wanted a better theme, then this one is for you. It's smooth and feels so different and immersive in a storybook way. If you want metal, speed, quick drains, balls hopping off and over things, and in your face lights then BK3 is your game. Just added that for the comparisons that will come (enjoyed BK3 and would play on location, but not own). But, at the end of the day, the Wonka Standard doesn't look like it will feel stripped down and will be very tempting for a lot of people wanting their first JJP. The LE has the usual upgrades (invisiglass, shaker, powder coating, mech/sculpt), which for those of us JJP owners know are usually worth the LE upgrade. The CE is priced out of my range, but I will tell you the powder coating and mirrored backglass was gorgeous on that model. Also, the LE and CE will have powder coated habitrails matching the armor. Standard will have black armor (like pirates) and stainless steel habitrails. Happy to answer any questions from a guy who was there.

#648 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Keneda is such a duffus. He just said on his podcast hurry and buy the CE because 500 units will sell out super quick then he said maybe he should buy 2 so he could flip one for profit.

I’m happy to read people are not going broke blindly following a podcasting pied piper.

#649 5 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

To each their own. May be the first time the modders come up with cabinet decal mods. Like a Gene Fathead to slap somewhere on the side with some candy stickers to go around (began this as a joke, but after thinking about some of the mods out there, now putting this at a 2/3rds chance of actually happening).

They could do a good business selling LE RadCals to standard owners.

#650 5 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

Does anyone yet have a complete "song list"? Curious if "Candyman" or others are in there ...

Joe said World of imagination, oompa loompa, golden ticket, and I want it now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 91.00
12,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 32.99
12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 25.50
15,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 64.00
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,600 (OBO)
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Travahontas Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

There are 1,434 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 29.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/willy-wonka-reveal-details/page/13?hl=dblm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.