letter h (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
92f1c59635afb8db992d8d3fd68f1ce8-2.jpg
harrypotter03.jpg
wonka-blu-ray.jpg
piq8qnz7T (resized).png
k0rp49wdvoi2 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,434 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 29.
#451 5 years ago

Right joe said it’s not done but it’s closing in. He says it will ship code complete

#452 5 years ago
Quoted from mystman12:

I'm honestly surprised at how much negativity I'm seeing here. Starting to see why some people don't like Pinside, haha. There may not be anything groundbreaking here, but it looks like an absolute blast to shoot and that's what matters most to me. Rules seem great too. I hope I can get a chance to try it soon.
As for sound, I'm not sure how I feel... I was initially glad to hear the upbeat music (VS. the kind of music you find in The Hobbit, which is fantastic, but it doesn't really work well as pinball music), but as I listened more I started to feel like it might be *too* noisy. I've been thinking a lot lately at how lackluster sound design has been in modern pinball compared to the great sound packages created by guys like Chris Granner, Brian Schmidt, and Dan Forden (In my humble opinion anyways. Maybe I'm in the minority, but there haven't been any games in the past few decades with sound and music that has grabbed my attention like older games did), so when I heard they had some new talent doing the sound here I was excited to see what he would bring to the table. I'll definitely have to try this game with headphones whenever I find one to get a better idea of the sound package. Ultimately though I'll take too exciting over too quiet any day.

I dunno, it seems like the response is mostly positive so far. Sure, there are a handful of disappointed people, but there always are.

The game looks like a lot of fun and what they're putting out for the price of a Stern Premium is just incredible IMO. Full RGB, four flippers, camera, multiple custom molded toys, kickback, high-res playfield/plastics art, mini LCD, multiple ball locks, 7 magnets...it's just packed.

JJP dropping prices to compete with Stern is the real story here IMO.

#453 5 years ago

The game looks great for a Wonka theme to be honest. JJP machines, especially WOZ and Wonka, have the amusement park feeling of wonder and amazement with a classic 'movie magic' tone. WOZ and Wonka are good for the way they like to make pins. And I expect Toy Story will be much of the same - and well done in its own right.

Hobbit and POTC seem to be in the middle and a tad more 'modern'ish pinball theme, and it is nice they have an original theme in DI.

Though, now I am very much wanting to see what they would do with GNR. More so, I would like to see a more edgy game from JJP - dare I say horror theme? Maybe a science fiction theme like Dune (the new movie that is being made) or Stranger Things. Anything with more edge would be nice to see.

#454 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Code is almost done way more than 40 mentioned earlier.

The basis is there but no wizard modes and lots of refinement. It much like di was when revealed but will be 80-90 percent once shipping.

#455 5 years ago

Pin looks good to me, not sure what expectations were but this looks fun. I assume it’s smooth to shoot as many Lawlor games and once code develops further it will only improve. The way magnets are implemented, 7 inch LCD, Gobstopper that spins ... have to flip it to know but didn’t see anything to turn me off from adding it in the next 6-12 months.

#456 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Code is almost done way more than 40 mentioned earlier.

The basis is there but no wizard modes and lots of refinement. It much like di was when revealed but will be 80-90 percent once shipping.

Quoted from jarozi:

I do wish the Wokavator area was themed a bit more, it's fine, just a little plain. Looks like a good opportunity for one of the modders.
[quoted image]

Prototype .. I'm guessing things will b refined some

#457 5 years ago

Looks like a really fun game!

The jury is out for me until I can play it this summer at SFGE!

#459 5 years ago

Everyone saying the spinning gobstopper is a let down... thats cool but its the ball.lock underneath that's super cool imo. It opens and closes and maybe other stuff

#460 5 years ago

I will buy CE if a real everlasting gobstopper drops out of the machine when you beat the final wizard mode.

#461 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Everyone saying the spinning gobstopper is a let down... thats cool but its the ball.lock underneath that's super cool imo. It opens and closes and maybe other stuff

It's the most disappointing thing for me. What about the ball lock is great though? Bc the ball falls in? It's like a scoop that gets closes temporarily. Maybe I'm missing something?

#462 5 years ago

I think the game play looks awesome! Can't wait to play it. I am only out because I am not a huge Wonka fan, but I don't hate it either. Luckily we have an awesome place like Zanzabar in Louisville that already put an order for a CE in.

Yeah the layout has bits and pieces of other Lawlor games, but I think that is also why I like it. The animations are just always top notch on JJP games too.

If this was the same layout but Toy Story, it would be a LE for me

#463 5 years ago

Never been done before?
Theres a kind of obscure game that had that same mech i think...?

C1FBEBC3-6B5E-467A-8E6E-C6F508619524 (resized).pngC1FBEBC3-6B5E-467A-8E6E-C6F508619524 (resized).png
#464 5 years ago

eh, I think it looks fun. I wasn't involved in the 24/7 hype train like a lot of people on here, so objectively, I think it looks really good. Only complaint is the standard side art is boring and lame AF. Other versions look great. I think it will sell great assuming people have $10K burning a hole in their pocket.

#465 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

It's the most disappointing thing for me. What about the ball lock is great though? Bc the ball falls in? It's like a scoop that gets closes temporarily. Maybe I'm missing something?

No, you got it.

#466 5 years ago

Loved the stream and the game reveal. Really happy with how the game shot and played. I thought the innovation in the game was very good, the toys looked great and tied into the WW theme just perfectly. I'm still super excited to get mine!

Im currently in on the CE but I'm waiting to see if there is anything more to the CE than what's in print. Only things above an LE that I noticed that add value (for me, mind you) were the topper, mirrored BG and radcals... even the radcals are of limited value unless you can feature the art in your gameroom. All the other added features either don't add value for me (signatures) or are simply a trade (red vs blue armor)

Unless JJP announces something special above and beyond for CE buyers, I'll be moving to the LE. I actually like the cab art better on the LE. Stoked for shipping time sometime soon!

#467 5 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

I actually like the cab art better on the LE.

LE>CE>>>>>>>>>Standard

#468 5 years ago

I was literally about to order an LE a few hours before the reveal, but LUCKILY the dealer didn’t answer his phone.

Maybe once I play one i’ll Feel differently, but for now it’s a total “PASS.” (And at most would consider a standard).

#469 5 years ago

Funny moment. I was watching some gameplay from WW for the first time. My 10 year old daughter came downstairs and said “what are you watching?” I said “a new pinball game video.” She said “which one?” and I told her. She watched for a while and then she said “you’re not going to buy that are you?” I said “should I?” She said “no.”

She knows my tastes and her own.

I guess this isn’t a game for all dads and daughters.

#470 5 years ago

Based on the This Week In Pinball posting about the game there isn't a mode for the chocolate river scene which seems insane to leave out. Did JJP think that scene was too scary? To leave that out and include a mode called "Kid Multiball" is odd.

#471 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Based on the This Week In Pinball posting about the game there isn't a mode for the chocolate river scene which seems insane to leave out. Did JJP think that scene was too scary? To leave that out and include a mode called "Kid Multiball" seems odd.

I literally just saw them play the chocolate river mode.

#472 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Theater of Magic.

#473 5 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

Funny moment. I was watching some gameplay from WW for the first time. My 10 year old daughter came downstairs and said “what are you watching?” I said “a new pinball game video.” She said “which one?” and I told her. She watched for a while and then she said “you’re not going to buy that are you?” I said “should I?” She said “no.”

I also have a 10 year old daughter who is a fan of the movie, but has no desire for me to add the machine to our collection after watching the video for a few minutes.

#474 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Me to?

#475 5 years ago

Spinning gobstopper ahhh no
Their games always feel like slot machines to me

#476 5 years ago

I need to watch Depp Wonka to
cleanse myself - THAT’S what a mess this is...

#477 5 years ago

Wonka was our savior..... No it also is still constrained by the space time continuum.... Stern sucks.

#478 5 years ago

JJPOTC is starting to look better and better.

#479 5 years ago
Quoted from Vdrums:

JJPOTC is starting to look better and better.

Ouch.

#480 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Complete with the "fires of hell are burning" line.

#481 5 years ago

That’s not an ouch. Pirates is lots of fun.

#482 5 years ago

Cameras in a game are not cool or innovative.....stealing ball locks is not a new thing as many games have had that. It looks like a pretty box of lights just like WOZ. Looks fun but far from what the hype led us to believe it could be.

This is not the pin we are looking for. Move along. Move along.

#483 5 years ago

This might be the first JJP I like enough to buy. Previous releases put me to sleep.

#484 5 years ago

Seems like no action button is that a good or bad thing

#485 5 years ago

Doctor, why was I convinced there’d be an animated chocolate river flowing under the playfield?

3CD31247-42BA-48EC-A3FE-50B1FAFA6456 (resized).png3CD31247-42BA-48EC-A3FE-50B1FAFA6456 (resized).png
#486 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Probably good to give it a rest on this one - and bring it back on Toy Story for the claw machine.

#487 5 years ago

Ok now the wait for GNR

#488 5 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

I couldn't agree more Ron, I was expecting the family to be over the moon excited and instead I got, I like it but you better not sell Spider-man or Wozle for it.

#489 5 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

I also have a 10 year old daughter who is a fan of the movie, but has no desire for me to add the machine to our collection after watching the video for a few minutes.

Mine are 11 and 9 and both said, lets wait for Toy Story...

#490 5 years ago

Dont like the theme at all, but think it is a good theme for pinball. I like the look of the game. But,......

I LOVE the playfield! This will be the most fun JJP i think.

Now... do this with a theme i love, like guns and roses and i am in.

#491 5 years ago

Game looks fakking amazing to shoot!!!!! Cant wait to play it!!!

#492 5 years ago

Yeah...people will play it and then say....Oh, I get it...It's great!

#493 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I generally don't like these (I'd rather the button be on the side where the flipper buttons are,) so I'm quite fine without that on this one.

#494 5 years ago

Shots look butter smooth from what I've watched.

#495 5 years ago

I played 7-8 games on it tonight. Wait to shoot it before forming an opinion. I thought it had great flow, satisfying shots, and cool toys. I can’t wait to own it and think it’s going to be a huge hit.

#496 5 years ago
Quoted from Maide:

I generally don't like these (I'd rather the button be on the side where the flipper buttons are,) so I'm quite fine without that on this one.

That's the challenge of having the button in the middle . The Hobbit often teases me with free points but it's a big risk to go for them especially during multiball I've lost many a ball being greedy

#497 5 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Yeah...people will play it and then say....Oh, I get it...It's great!

Yep it happens every time... there so much there .. how can u not like it... did you enjoy it? I thought i remember reading u were going to play it?

#498 5 years ago
Quoted from PinBackpacker:

I played 7-8 games on it tonight. Wait to shoot it before forming an opinion. I thought it had great flow, satisfying shots, and cool toys. I can’t wait to own it and think it’s going to be a huge hit.

Thanks for your review .. nice to hear a opinion from someone who played it. Same thing happened with di.. people talked alot until they played it... pats the man and jjp and him do some nice things.

#499 5 years ago

What’s with all the fake dirt, scratches and hair on the clips from the film? Looks like the default setting on the video editing filter they used?

#500 5 years ago

Ok...WAY late to the reveal and the stream (Harrah's was taking my $$$), will catch up tomorrow...if it's been covered.....is that really another CAMERA facing the player? Purpose?

Please tell me I'm wrong, but it's also on the feature list.....

Game is gorgeous, but can't give much more that that from what I've seen...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 25.50
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Travahontas Mods

Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 91.00
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

12,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,434 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 29.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/willy-wonka-reveal-details/page/10?hl=noob-a-tron and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.