2.jpg
1.jpg
1 (resized).jpg
5 (resized).jpg
4 (resized).jpg
3 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

This Week in Pinball Article
https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/the-making-of-willys-wonderland-pinball-guest-post-by-spencer-murrill/

In January of 2020 I was asked to create a custom pinball machine for an upcoming horror film starring Nic Cage that features him battling animatronic characters while stuck inside a themed restaurant over night. I had a little over 3 weeks to do the project and had to move quickly on acquiring a machine and figuring out what the table was going to look like. I'm going to outline what I did in this thread in the hopes that it helps other homebrewers approach the art side of their projects as I learned some really valuable lessons in the process. The machine I chose was Devil's Dare, partially because it was on the short list of locally available machines. Here are some comparison photos:

1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg10 (resized).jpg10 (resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago

Exciting!
I didn’t know about this movie, Nic Cage and the producers decided to jump on the Five Nights at Freddy’s train 7 years late??

#3 3 years ago

Wow! That is cool

Screenshot_20210217-121954~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20210217-121954~2 (resized).png
#4 3 years ago

That’s awesome!

There have been a couple movies like this now. The Five Nights at Freddy’s guy has missed the boat on this-

#5 3 years ago

This is fantastic. Just watched last weekend.

#6 3 years ago

Here are some more playfield pics

1.jpg1.jpg2.jpg2.jpg3.jpg3.jpg4.jpg4.jpg5.jpg5.jpg6.jpg6.jpg7.jpg7.jpg8.jpg8.jpg9.jpg9.jpg
#7 3 years ago

wow neat. nic cage one of my favorite actors of all time. i also have an old friend in this movie.

#8 3 years ago

I saw the movie on release day and was trying to figure out what game it used to be. I could tell it was a Gottlieb, but couldn't put my finger on it. Very cool.

#9 3 years ago

Great retheme, nice job.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from johnnyutah:

That’s awesome!
There have been a couple movies like this now. The Five Nights at Freddy’s guy has missed the boat on this-

Apparently the storyline is so convoluted. That they have been in production hell trying to figure out how to tell the story. Probably just like the games they want to make 7 movies, too.

https://screenrant.com/five-nights-freddys-movie-delay-updates-jason-blum/

Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

I saw the movie on release day and was trying to figure out what game it used to be. I could tell it was a Gottlieb, but couldn't put my finger on it. Very cool.

I didn’t understand why they played chimes when he was playing the pin, it definitely doesn’t use them.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I didn’t understand why they played chimes when he was playing the pin, it definitely doesn’t use them.

That's a common thing with pins in any movie. Stock sounds from days of old.

#12 3 years ago

Thanks for sharing this. I wondered if we would get to meet the creator of this re-theme on pinside.

The pinball machine was probably the best part of the entire movie...

Very nice.

#13 3 years ago

Smurrill1 i saw this movie last night and thought it was just awesome! (if you’re into that kinda thing). as a kid that grew up on those “dead by dawn” horror films, it was the most fun i’ve had in months. and i was blown away at what a central part of the film the pinball machine was. anyway, i’ve been trying to find more info on that machine. this is exactly what i was looking for. thanks so much for posting this.

#14 3 years ago

Very cool nice job I'll have to check this film out

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from Smurrill1:

In January of 2020 I was asked to create a custom pinball machine for an upcoming horror film starring Nic Cage that features him battling animatronic characters while stuck inside a themed restaurant over night. I had a little over 3 weeks to do the project and had to move quickly on acquiring a machine and figuring out what the table was going to look like. Im going to outline what I did in this thread in the hopes that it helps other homebrewers approach the art side of their projects as I learned some really valuable lessons in the process. The machine I chose was Devil's Dare, partially because it was on the short list of locally available machines. Here are some comparison photos:
[quoted image][quoted image]

Did the pin come back to you or does it reside someplace else and if so do you know who currently owns it? Just curious and wondering if it was gifted to Cage .

#16 3 years ago

Is it for sale?

#17 3 years ago

Wow, I just watched this movie. I really loved it! The pin was done really well and I enjoyed watching cage play it!

Great job!

#18 3 years ago

Liked the movie. We just watched it here at my house. Def cool old school slasher type movie. Loved the pin. Knew it was a Gottlieb but could not figure out which one. My wife likes the pin too. Who has the pin now?

#19 3 years ago

I answered most question in the thread here in this article. Go check it out!

https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/the-making-of-willys-wonderland-pinball-guest-post-by-spencer-murrill/

3 weeks later
#20 3 years ago

Apparently the storyline is so convoluted. That they have been in production hell trying to figure out how to tell the story. Probably just like the games they want to make 7 movies, too.

Dude there are 8 games and number 9 is about to come out.

#21 3 years ago

Isochronic_Frost there are actually 8 five nights at freddys games and the ninth aka security breach is about to come out.

#22 3 years ago

Smurrill1 I have one request from the machine. Could you dump the rom or upload the modded rom for the table please?

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from Gamemodder:

Smurrill1 I have one request from the machine. Could you dump the rom or upload the modded rom for the table please?

there's no modded ROM, and Smurrill1 has no reason to possess the original ROM. He simply modified the cosmetics of the machine for the movie, and the sounds were added in Post.

#24 3 years ago

Oh. So the sounds from the movie were just added to the movie and not the actual machine?

#25 3 years ago

My bad. Sorry.

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from Gamemodder:

Oh. So the sounds from the movie were just added to the movie and not the actual machine?

correct. he redid the art on the playfield, and i believe he had another friend/artist do the backglass. not sure who did the cabinet, if redone at all. read his interview in TWIP. really interesting stuff..

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from Gamemodder:

Dude there are 8 games and number 9 is about to come out.

Quoted from Gamemodder:

Isochronic_Frost there are actually 8 five nights at freddys games and the ninth aka security breach is about to come out.

Semantics, 7 or 8. One off doesn’t matter, they have a ton. Just relax! Even the creator has said it’s been production hell and he’s getting pretty convoluted with how he wants to tell this overly complicated story.

#28 3 years ago

Very cool! I have not seen the film but the one review I watched specifically mentioned this game and how much screentime it got!

7 months later
#29 2 years ago

Smurrill1 I just want to know if you (or the producers) are going to release the art to CPR so they can print this alt PF for DD?

2 months later
#30 2 years ago

I FINALLY watched this movie and had to come here looking for more info on the pin they used. I have to say that movie was....something. I think it definitely deserves its own thread for sure. I was truly inspired by Nicolas Cage's commitment to his pinball and energy drink breaks between slashing evil creatures. I think we can learn from that. Especially those working from home. His lack of dialogue was definitely weird, but his dance moves more than made up for it. Also I really love the retheme game and the pin itself. Inspired

#31 2 years ago

The retheme from a Devil's Dare was well suited for the film. Very well designed for the movie. When the film ended, I felt like Cage had completed a mission from god. An angel sent to rid that town of its evil. He sought out those spike strips, knowing that path would lead him to destiny.

There's a comic book series providing events before the film took place. They're short, but interesting if you've dove into comics or a fan of horror films. Book 2 arrived this weekend.

WWcomic (resized).jpgWWcomic (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Brandenburg, KY
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/willy-s-wonderland-nic-cage-horror-film-retheme- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.