• Latest reply 9 years ago by Asylum
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

willie_booger.jpg
#1 9 years ago

This mylar patch has had dirt under it since I bought the game. I have been hesitant to remove it because I don't want to risk Willie, or any of the other artwork.

However, it's been bugging me lately. What's the safest method for removing it, without damaging anything? Heat, cold?

I have had a previous mylar removal issue with High Speed inserts, and do not want a repeat with my IJ. Thanks.

willie_booger.jpgwillie_booger.jpg
#2 9 years ago

The difference is Sys11s are mostly not clearcoated and have known issues with mylar pulling off paint.

#3 9 years ago

I would "trim the edge" with a razor blade, and then novus#2 it 5 times. It takes practice and is the much quicker DIY approach. The playfield coats on an IJ are fairly thick. Just make sure the blade doesn't touch the playfield! Don't cut the way your normally would through the material, hold the blade edge flat to the play filed to make a trim. I wouldn't do this to a CQ or a "museum piece" IJ but if it's just a "player", that's what I would do.

If you really do try this, make sure you practice on something else. All you really want to do is remove 1/16 of an inch at the black dirty part. Mylar tears/cuts kind of like strong packing tape. Knowing that helps.

Looking at your mylar again, I would make a cut from top Willie black key line to the bottom Willie black key line to remove the lifted/dirty spot.

(Mylar gets dirty spots because over time, the edges lift away from the play filed and dirt floats under it.)

Alternatively, you could completely clean out the black dirty part with the edge of a small rag and some novus #2, then just trim off the small, unattached sliver of mylar. That would be the safer and quicker approach.

Novus it a bunch using moderate pressure along the edge of the mylar cut and it it should become very smooth and clean if you use novus. You can really make old mylar look very good with novus2, just don't go crazy with it.

If you want to remove the entire piece, see my tips below.

#4 9 years ago

I have had nothing but bad luck with heat. peeling inserts, pulling playfield paint, etc. If I ever have to remove mylar from my IJ, I will be freezing it with compressed air cans.

#5 9 years ago

Yeah, if you're hell bent on removing the entire piece of mylar, use freeze spray, then flour, then goo gone with rubber or plastic helpers... per Vid's guide.

I have been doing this for 13 years so please follow my rule of thumb when you think that you "just have to remove that mylar"... DON'T DO IT UNLESS THE PLAYFILED LOOKS VERY BAD. The chances of something going wrong when removing mylar is VERY good, no matter the age of the game, or the amount of experience. There is very little chance the playfield will look any better OR play any better at all if you remove the mylar. The few times it does help is usually if the mylar itself is in very bad shape.

Obviously, if you are going to touchup and clear a playfield, mylar removal is to only way to go.

#6 9 years ago

Pretty much every WPC game I have ever owned that had mylar on it pulled off easily by hand and left no ill effects at all.

#7 9 years ago

I pulled the mylar off my IJ. The inserts came up.

#8 9 years ago

If you reverse a can of compressed air it will come out has freeze spray. Spray the mylar a few times and let it sit for a few seconds. Pull the mylar a bit a spreeze spray again. Spray under and above the mylar as you are moving along. Pull a bit and freeze spray again.. After a while the glue will hardened by itself and you could safely remove the mylar. Again something is never 100% guaranteed but Iève gotten really good results. Patience is key here.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from nikpinball:

I pulled the mylar off my IJ. The inserts came up.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.00
$ 0.00
Lighting - Backbox
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 1,419.00
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PFX Pinball Mods

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

$ 0.00
Playfield - Other
PinJewels

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

12,500 (OBO)
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

14,000 (OBO)
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/willie-has-a-booger-ij-mylar-removal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.