2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 63 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Bendit
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20170506_083601 (resized).jpg
    20170504_074456 (resized).jpg

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 2 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

if you send your board to the dozen or so people that have been doing PCB work for over 25+ years.

Could I please ask you for a list of techs that you trust?
    I'll send the board away to have it fixed, either for a backup or for someone in/around Denver that can use it.
    Thanks!

#52 2 years ago

so is this harness available yet or not ?

#53 2 years ago
    Quoted from NeilMcRae:

this harness available yet or not ?

I think they have them aplenty. I'm just not sure their web site is up to date.
    If you need it now, order from the pinsound web site and add a note or email stating your intentions.
    Nicolas actually reached out to me to confirm that I needed this new harness.

Note: Pinsound ships from France, which is close to you. Ordering on their web site was the cheapest option for me, here in the USA.

2 weeks later
    #54 2 years ago

Bendit - if I'm reading this right you put the pinsound + rottendog 89 dmd board into a wpc 95 pin and it worked?

I purchased what you did and put it into my nba fastbreak. Feel like I did everything right, but I didn't get the dmd to light up.

Pinsound board worked fine (sort of). The other problem is my zip file i downloaded from pinsound seems to be bad. I get a message of "error in zip file" followed by "no wav files in audio directory" when i fire the pin up. Was there some trick to downloading i missed? When i tried to unzip on the pc, I got a message about insert other disc...say what???

The other weird thing is that with my malfunctioning rottendog 95 a/v board at least the machine would work. Couldn't tell my score, but it worked. Now i can't even fire it up and play blind...i can't believe that's related to the DMD board, but i can't imagine what i might have done to cause that.

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but you seem to have made work what I'm struggling with!

#55 2 years ago
    Quoted from Nodakfjr:

if I'm reading this right you put the pinsound + rottendog 89 dmd board into a wpc 95 pin and it worked?

Correct. It's fantastic!

Quoted from Nodakfjr:

I didn't get the dmd to light up.

Well, *IF* I am correct, you should be able to light up the DMD with the DMD089 without the pinsound board at all (guys, correct me if I am wrong).

Quoted from Nodakfjr:

When i tried to unzip on the pc

Well, stop right there when this happens. You need to be able to extract the ZIP file on your PC first (to confirm it's not corrupted and/or bad). There's no other tricks. The ZIP file needs to be good for sure. Also, try another USB stick. Please note that I have read on other posts that you need a clean 5volt supply to the Pinsound board in order for the USB stick to mount properly.

Quoted from Nodakfjr:

Now i can't even fire it up and play blind

I'm no expert, but to me it sounds like power and connector issues. Make sure your ribbon cables are good and tight (and installed the proper direction!). Make sure your molex connectors are conducting power properly. One pin that doesn't work, and it's all off, know what I mean? I had to reseat mine after jiggling them from the normal install procedure.

Another thing to try, Pinsound came with new ribbon cables, correct? Try those, and then try your old ones.

Also, you ordered the WPC-95 conversion kit, correct? It includes new ribbon cables, and a bunch of other cleverly-split cables, as well as a Z-connector (splitter) for the power delivery to the DMD board. The latter much be connected properly, or the DMD089 will not get any power at all!

Keep me posted.

EDIT: Post #34, look at the picture. I am talking about "J138 (splitter, use Z-connector if needed)". You'll need the included splitter. J138 is on the game's main driver board. You split that power coming out of it, and route it to the DMD089 board.

#56 2 years ago

I'm curious to know what component can't be replaced on the A/V board? anyone know

#57 2 years ago
    Quoted from hocuslocus:

I'm curious to know what component can't be replaced on the A/V board

There are several posts about this. I think it's the "decoder/encoder" chip (cpu) that you cannot find anymore. Some old tech from yamaha or whatever company. Something to do with the sound decoder.

#58 2 years ago

Bendit,

Thanks for the reply. I looked more closely at your pix and I did indeed have 2 of the ribbon's reversed! I looked at the pix I had taken of the rottendog 95 board that was in there and tried to match the ribbon orientation that way instead of looking at the numbers printed on the new rottendog 89 board. Instant Display! So one problem fixed! Actually 2, because that seemed to make my machine work again, same as before...no sound, but it works!

Weirdly, I noticed two other things looking more closely at your pic. I did use the new 601 and 602 ribbons pinsound supplied. Since they gave me both, and i found 601 and 602 on the pinsound (and their instructions told me to) i connected 602 to the pinsound. It appears you didn't? Or was that temporary? I pulled it from the pinsound board, didn't seem to matter.

Also, yes i did get the jumper wire harnesses. The 605 i had to modify the one end because the 89 board only has a 5 pin connector to bring the 80/100 v power. I looked things over, saw the 89 board only needed the 80/100 volt, so i pulled those wires from pinsounds new connector, found an appropriate 5 pin female connector and wired it up. That seemed straightforward. Now that i have the ribbons oriented right, it seems like that's resolved.

When i got to the j138 connection however, i noticed my existing board didn't even have anything plugged into it. I shrugged and plugged the new one in as instructed, but had no need for the z connector. While i was trouble shooting that last night, i checked my fishtales (wpc89 sys), it also doesn't have a j138 connected. When i checked the owners manual for both machines they both indicate j138 N/C (not connected i presume). I checked the voltages where j138 plugs into the J3 slot on the pinsound, the 5 volt was good, but i had no 12v. I assume that will probably bite me at some point, but i do get the chimes and the error recording saying my thumbdrive has no files. I also don't see anywhere on my rottendog 89 that there is a place for the j138 connector. What am I missing there?

I have tried downloading that darn pinsound zip file for NBA a dozen times. I never get one that will unzip. I left a message on pinsounds questions page. I presume they've just got a bad file out there. I guess no one has tried to use it yet...seems weird.

But of course, since this me, once i got the ribbons right and the machine fired up, i was going to put the backglass back up to make sure EVERYTHING was working...and it slipped out of my hands and the glass portion shattered into a million pieces all over my playfield! Of course, since it's NBA it's an odd shape of glass and without it the ball/flipper "game" on the backboard is out of commission!

So i have some cleanup to do while i wait for pinsound to get me a clean zip file!

I really appreciate your help on this. Still a little confused on some of the connections, but i assume their could be differences on the driver board for some of these games. The important thing is i have a display back!

#59 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bendit:

Could I please ask you for a list of techs that you trust?

Whole thread about it. There are at least 3 trusted techs mentioned in that thread.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

You can send the board out for repair--there are some people who have parts in stock, as indicated in the last big AV board thread.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-95-av-board-1

#60 2 years ago

Broken glass eh? Wow that sucks. Sorry to hear that.

Now about your 12 volt issue. The Pinsound board requires it. If you go on the Pinsound web site:

https://www.pinsound.org/hardware-manual/

It will list and detail the red LEDs that should be on when all is well. Make sure all LEDs are lit. LEDs are:

5 volts logic, 3V3 logic, 12-18 volts power, 10 volts power and 5 volts analog.

I would imagine that any irregular power to any of these power buses would result in erratic behaviors...

#61 2 years ago
    Quoted from Nodakfjr:

but i had no 12v

If that's the 12v you need to supply to the Pinsound board, well, that's an issue?

I am not familiar with the boards of your game. I imagine you could feed 12v to Pinsound from anywhere?

#62 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bendit:

It will list and detail the red LEDs that should be on when all is well. Make sure all LEDs are lit. LEDs are:
    5 volts logic, 3V3 logic, 12-18 volts power, 10 volts power and 5 volts analog.
    I would imagine that any irregular power to any of these power buses would result in erratic behaviors...

Yeah, it's odd. All the LEDs are lit (except system running which are amber and I presume is related to no .wav files) but I get no 12v (plus or minus) from the test points on the pinsound board. That's what led me to check the signal from the driver board where it is also absent. The 5V from that same j138 is live and sending a good signal.

I'll see what happens once I get a file to open from pinsound. If it's a problem, you're right, there are several places I can get it from.

Thanks again

#63 2 years ago

well that could be an issue. system running led should blink like crazy when a game is in progress. it blinks when the pinsound board receives sound data.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Just 3D Mods
    £ 49.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 27.99
    $ 219.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 92.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 30.00
    $ 32.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Protection
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 249.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 18,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    www.retroarcade.se
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 109.95
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside