Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Hawkulous
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hawkulous.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 6 years ago

This is an interesting post.
    Polling Raspberry Pi GPIO is very slow,< 1mhz and funnily enough RPi B+ can poll the GPIO pins much faster than RPi 2 or 3. However your idea is very interesting, I have had moments of madness where I thought it would be fun to interface directly with the cpu for various reasons. But it always seemed liked more work than I was prepared to do. I however have a suggestion for you that might work...
    1. You don't have to "find" the high scores etc. in the cpu, because the machine tells you all you need to know on the display!
    2. Intercept the display data.
    3. identify the data you want, like the high scores.
    4 send the data to your pc/rpi or whatever.

The previous post, the ram idea is also interesting, but more wires, might be cool to play with if you had an extra wpc cpu to play with, maybe some soldering ... Also probably not needed to clone the ram, but see how long you can delay comms between the ram and the cpu before it complains, to give you time to read your addresses ..
    Good luck

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

The CPU is only 2MHz, it doesn't seem that far out. Do you have a source for that? Everything I find says at least 10MHz... If a RPi can't, I'm sure some other board can.

Another board will be better, if you need to read the pins faster than 1Mhz. But also you will need to wait for the clock signal and then read the pins, so half that maybe 1/2Mhz.
    Your idea is cool , it got me thinking ... but why interface with the ram directly, it is soldered onto the board, but the CPU chip itself is socketed ,so easier to interface with, wait for it to write to the ram address and listen in.

Quoted from Coyote:

your code would neeed to be able to re-decode that bitmap display data back into raw numbers.

Yes but you have al the time in the world (the display refreshes at 120hz) all you need to get high scores is the font and location on the screen used to display the scores and you would be looking for "1)" or "2)" etc. in all the frames it pushes out. It will be different for every machine. It won't be easy, but it won't be super hard either.

Quoted from zacaj:

The CPU is only 2MHz, it doesn't seem that far out. Where did you hear that? Everything I find says at least 10MHz... If a RPi can't, I'm sure some other board can.

Plus, you've got to deal with the numbers moving around on the display, games with animated backgrounds, etc. I can't even imagine what trying to read the numbers on a BSD as they drip blood would be like

Not to sound overly positive but if you can read it, you can program a machine to read it.

#13 6 years ago

Yes I agree a single universal solution would be the best. Nice ideas all round. Might be a fun project. I might try.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hawkulous.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-wpc-software-languagemeters?tu=hawkulous and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.