Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

fr_246.jpg
fr_245.jpg
schematic.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crash.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

I've seen this issue on a couple of games lately. The 5v power supply is near or exceeds 5v in both cases. For whatever reason I'm getting a 200mv+ drop between the CPU board's 5v input connector and the game ROM.

Fish Tales
Driver board J114: 4.97v
CPU board J120: 4.97v
Game ROM: 4.76v
210mv drop

White Water
Driver board J114: 5.07v
CPU board J120: 5.06v
Game ROM: 4.83v
230mv drop

Both games are resetting frequently. I've never seen anything like this, usually it's at the driver board itself or the connectors going to the CPU board. The only cap I see measures 5.05v across and I also reseated the ROM with no improvement (WH20). Could the ROM socket possibly be the culprit? I am aware they cause all sorts of issues at times due to their design. Or could the issue be more difficult to track down/repair? If the latter is true then I will simply opt for the cheaper and more stable WPC 5v mod.

2 weeks later
#3 8 years ago

I replaced the CPU board in White Water with one of the same part number. The 5v supply has improved slightly and the resets are not as frequent, but I'm still seeing a large drop between J210 and the game ROM. There is no drop in the initial vcc section stemming from J210 in the schematics prior to the break in the drawing...

J210 5v rails (2x): 5.06v
Game ROM pin 32 (vcc): 4.85v

schematic.pngschematic.png

Following the schematic tracing backwards from the ROM...

W4: 5.05v
W5: 4.85v
W2: 4.85v

The above appear to be test points on one side of a zero-ohm jumper at each location. I tested these jumpers and there is no drop across them. I moved the game ROM and batteries over from the old board. Suspecting a battery problem, the VBATT side of W5 reads 4.11v when the game is off. The batteries need to be changed, but I don't see anything odd with those and the game is currently keeping memory.

However, I did notice something strange with the 1.5k resistor at R3. One side reads 5.04v, but the other reads 4.97v. For comparison I tested across R96 and R97 near the top of the board and got only a 10mv drop across them, even though they are both 1.5k as well. I am pointing to the low side of the resistor in the second photo. Is this normal?

fr_245.jpgfr_245.jpgfr_246.jpgfr_246.jpg

#5 8 years ago

I'm getting a steady 119v at the wall outlet. This is the only machine resetting, but it doesn't seem to be an issue apart from the CPU board as the voltage coming in at J210 is a healthy 5.06v. I'm also considering a possible issue with the game ROM... that's the only other thing I carried over from the old board.

#6 8 years ago

Any ideas? Do I just need to send it to Clive? I have two boards doing this and don't want to spend money having them both repaired if it's something simple.

#8 8 years ago

Yeah I'm in the dark as much as you are here. Again, I'm thinking it may be a chip on that board dragging the voltage down but the game ROM is the only one I see with a vcc input. And if that's the case I will send it off anyway.

I will try the original board in another working machine and see if the problem follows.

#10 8 years ago

Ok so I got some readings on two more games that do not have reset problems and the results are interesting...

TAF
J210: 4.97v
ROM: 4.77v

BSD
J210: 4.85v
ROM: 4.63v

So that 200mv drop to the ROM is normal. Next I'll be investigating the driver board. Thanks for the help.

1 week later
#12 8 years ago
Quoted from boustrophedonic:

Rob Kahr's daughterboards (http://kahr.us/) have been my first go-to when I run into this type of reset. Both times I've run into random resets, the board solved it & it's only $28 and doesn't require any work other than unplugging a cable & plugging it into the daughterboard. Just a thought anyway, it's a small investment & can't hurt.

Since I have already replaced the caps and regulator on the driver board and the issue is not connections between boards (5.06v coming in) I opted for Kahr's board. Now I am getting 5.15v to the CPU and 4.91v at the game ROM. No more resets!

#15 8 years ago

Well of course, that's the first approach I took. The first thing I did was replace key components and that worked great for a few years. Then it started acting up again, and it was just the MPU board resetting (which is the main drag on the 5v power supply). If it were my game I would go through the machine 100% but as operators we don't have the time. The game is a high location earner.

The funny thing is I tested voltages as low as 4.79 on another game and that one does not reset at all.

#20 8 years ago

I changed it already, as a lot of people suggest.

#22 8 years ago

Yes. I had to run a jumper afterwards for C5.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

12,610 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mapleton, UT
$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 169.00
$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crash.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-wpc-5v-drop?tu=crash and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.