Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Brentd27
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Working on a Williams World Cup. When the game is turned on, the displays are lit up with all 0s, and there's a ton of flicker, and loud buzzing. The coin lockout relay pulses in time with the buzzing. The game is completely unresponsive to coin switches, start button, etc. Triggering any of the switches for controlled solenoids, however, triggers that solenoid to fire which immediately stops the flickering, stops the buzzing, stops the coin lockout coil pulsing, and puts the game into playable mode.

Removing the MPU & Driver board from the game and powering it on the bench and monitoring the inputs/outputs with oscilloscope & logic analyzer, it behaves identically. On power up, a 20Hz (low) pulse appears at the base of Q16 being generated by the PIA IC5 pin 17. Blanking signal is High. Everything stays in this state until I trigger one of the switch inputs corresponding to a controlled solenoid which fires that controlled solenoid and sets the game into a usable state.

I've replaced IC5, and tried burning new EPRoms because the old ones were crumbling. I got a U17 that is supposed to be correct for World Cup since it was different from other games, but this behavior makes me wonder if it is correct or not.

#2 2 years ago

a little confused here, but that's normal.......so the game won't boot into 'attract mode' on power up showing factory default scores in the displays?

but closing any switch related to driving a solenoid starts a game (kicks a ball out) and all the oddities go away?

have you done the recommended upgrade to the reset circuit, going by PinWiki?

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from Rikoshay:

a little confused here, but that's normal.......so the game won't boot into 'attract mode' on power up showing factory default scores in the displays?
but closing any switch related to driving a solenoid starts a game (kicks a ball out) and all the oddities go away?
have you done the recommended upgrade to the reset circuit, going by PinWiki?

Sort of correct. The game starts up, is essentially in attract mode and displaying credits on credit display, but all zeros on the displays.

The 40-pin interconnect has been replaced, and I verified that the reset circuit is working properly with an oscilloscope.

In fact, regardless of whether the board is in the game or on the bench, if I do a forced reset by grounding the reset pin of the CPU, the board returns to the state where there's a 20 Hz pulse on Q16 and 0s on all displays until one of the controlled solenoid switches gets triggered.

Triggering a solenoid doesn't start a game, but it puts the game into normal attract mode where I can I actually start a game.

#4 2 years ago

did you put in the new eproms?

have you tried a factory reset?

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from Rikoshay:

Yes. Burned new eprom, installed an Nvram and did a factory reset. Also made sure that I had the correct image for U17 since its different from other games of this series that use white ROMs.

#6 2 years ago

not being able to find a schematic World Cup I looked at one for Disco Fever.

I see pin 17 of IC5 going to leg 1 of an AND gate in a 7408 IC4.

I can't see a U17 but believe you are using 'U' in place of 'IC' ?

1 week later
#7 2 years ago
Quoted from Rikoshay:

Yes. Burned new eprom, installed an Nvram and did a factory reset. Also made sure that I had the correct image for U17 since its different from other games of this series that use white ROMs.

Quoted from Rikoshay:

not being able to find a schematic World Cup I looked at one for Disco Fever.
I see pin 17 of IC5 going to leg 1 of an AND gate in a 7408 IC4.
I can't see a U17 but believe you are using 'U' in place of 'IC' ?

You are correct. I have a bad habit of using U and IC interchangeably. Bally and Gottlieb schematics tend to use the U designation for ICs.

1 week later
#8 2 years ago

In case this ever comes up again for someone else, all this weirdness was caused by a bad row seven receive buffer in the 4049 @ IC16. It was shorted to ground. Not sure why triggering one of the controlled solenoids knocked the game out of that undefined mode and into attract mode, though. Replacing IC16 solved the problem, though.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-world-cup-weirdness and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.