(Topic ID: 3706)

Williams World Cup for $200... worth it?

By glilly-BOA

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC03642.JPG
DSC03649.JPG
DSC03648.JPG
DSC03647.JPG
DSC03645.JPG
DSC03644.JPG
DSC03643.JPG
#1 12 years ago

I have a chance to pick up a 'World Cup' http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?gid=2810 (not to be confused with World Cup Socker) for $200 bucks.

It's supposed to be in good condition but the sound doesn't work.
I'm going tomorrow evening to look at it.

Any thoughts?? My plan is to donate it to our youth group as I promised them a machine and I think this one would be a good theme for them.

G

#2 12 years ago

It's hard to go wrong at that price. It's worth that in parts alone. The sound boards are easy to fix/troubleshoot on those.

#3 12 years ago
Quoted from Brokedad:

The sound boards are easy to fix/troubleshoot on those

Yeah, I have quite a bit of experience with those also. My gut was the same as you said. Can't really go wrong for $200. But, this is one of those machines I've never seen before. Never played one. Well, if nothing else, I'll have extra parts for my Gorgar rebuild

G

#4 12 years ago

I feel it to be a waste of time chiming in on you two well seasoned verterans, but like y'all have already concluded I would get it for a minimum of spare parts...but I think you will be able to fix it without much effort. Let us know how it turns out. Good Luck.

#5 12 years ago

Doesn't all of the sound come from the driver board in that era? I think it does if I remember right, sound and no speech? Should be pretty easy to track down the problem.

#6 12 years ago
Quoted from jwwhite15:

Doesn't all of the sound come from the driver board in that era?

Usually there is a separate sound board mounted on the left side of the cabinet below the playfield on the Williams system 3-7. When they first started making "digital" sound they put a switch on them to either use the new sounds or emulate the old EM sounds people were more accustomed too.

#7 12 years ago

Ah yes, you are right how could I forget...see, thanx for proving my point there...you smart guy you! Where would this site be without you BD? Its not anything I like to think about that is for sure!

#8 12 years ago

Ummm .. never be afraid to speak up here jwwhite15. I bet there is something you know I don't about some machines.

Let us know if you get it glilly-BOA

#9 12 years ago
Quoted from Brokedad:

Let us know if you get it glilly-BOA

Sure thing. Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll let ya'll know what the problem turns out to be too.

On a side note, the lady I spoke to said she has several machines, so I'll report back on that also (in case she has something someone else may want).

G

#10 12 years ago

Basic Williams System 3 stuff, nothing dramatic as far as circuitry. At that price... if the cabinet, playfield and backglass are in acceptable condition to you, go for it.

As long as the board aren't badly corroded or physically damaged, they can be repaired. There's a LOT of guys out there with Williams System 3-7 experience. The sound board on there is very simple, your basic bleeps and bloops, no speech yet.

I don't know that generation of sound board very well, but the CPU and driver, feel free to ask.

-Hans

#11 12 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

there with Williams System 3-7 experience

Yeah, I'm one of them. Been doin it since 1985-86.

G

#12 12 years ago

I have played this game a few times, and it is pretty good. Not as good as the Bally game for sure, but it's a lot cheaper too. I've seen it for sale twice, once for $350 or so, and the other time for $400. Anything under $300 seems like it's worth it because once working properly, it's enjoyable.

#13 12 years ago

200 bucks? Thats almost free. If you got the space, buy it. But check out what else she's got and report back

#14 12 years ago
Quoted from wesperron:

check out what else she's got and report back

Oh yeah! For sure. I don't know if I could squeeze any more in my house (it'd be like that youtube clip from "The Pinball Collector"). But, I'll pass along any good deals.

G

#15 12 years ago

yeah if you got the room and it works ok - why not

#16 12 years ago

Well, I picked up the machine. Here are some pics of it. For $200 bucks, I think it was a great deal.

DSC03643.JPGDSC03643.JPG DSC03644.JPGDSC03644.JPG DSC03645.JPGDSC03645.JPG

#17 12 years ago

Hey nice score man
back glass looks outstanding

#18 12 years ago

The lady I got if from does refurb kind of for a living / hobby and is trying to get out of it (after about 20 years she said).

Nice lady. She repainted the cabinet as you can see and the boards are absolutely immaculate for older System3 boards (I'll post a pick of them later).

Here is a few pics if the playfield (near perfect for a 33 year old machine).

DSC03647.JPGDSC03647.JPG DSC03648.JPGDSC03648.JPG

#19 12 years ago

And the one of the coolest things with this particulare machine... the coin door has no dents and no lockbar holes (it does need a little buffing though).

DSC03649.JPGDSC03649.JPG

#20 12 years ago

Heck of a deal! I wouldn't have thought twice about picking that one up even though I don't care for the theme.

#21 12 years ago

:-)Also, I said I would pass along the other machines she has. Some pretty nice ones also.

2 F-14 Tomcat's
2 Pinbots
1 Big Guns
1 JokerZ
1 Raven
1 Revenge From Mars
1 Gottlieb Black Hole
1 Joust
1 Bally Elektra (had never seen this one in person, very cool).

I think that was it. They were all in her garage / workshop.
I'm planning to revisit in a few months when I have some more cash after I move some of the machines i have

G

#22 12 years ago

Oh yeah... take a look at this image... can you tell what it is? No?
DSC03642.JPGDSC03642.JPG

While I was showing the machine to my wife, I was shining my flashlight on the backglass and when she turned around she said "cool". So I looked and saw a perfect holographic projection of the backglass (reflective areas) on my garage door. I tried taking some pics, but thats the best it turned out (being dark and all). If you have a backglass with reflective in it, take it outside (carefully) and bounce a flashlight off it toward the house. Very cool effect.

G

#23 12 years ago

Oh man, I would love a BH. Will she ship?

#24 12 years ago
Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

I don't care for the theme

I'm not crazy about the theme either (doesn't grab me). But, it's perfect for our church youth group, which is who it's going to. I promised them a machine when they got a new meeting room and none of my other machines are realy appropriate for a youth group. I saw this one and knew right away where it was going.

G

#25 12 years ago
Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

Oh man, I would love a BH. Will she ship?

BH? Are you talking about the Big Guns?
Don't know if she'll ship. She doesn't seem real motivated to sell. Just kind of does whenever she feels like it.

I can always ask though.

G

#26 12 years ago

Black Hole

I need to add an early solid state to my collection and that looks like a really cool one.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-world-cup-for-200-worth-it and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.