• Latest reply 2 years ago by LeedsUnited1
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

327 pics (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

Just got as Sys 3 World Cup running & tuned up. Game is not saving the goals from ball to ball. Did one a few years ago for my brother & remember if you ended 1st ball with 5 goals, you started 2nd ball with 5 goals etc. Mine is staring off fresh with 0(zero) goals each ball. Don't see anything in settings. Know this is a long shot since it's not the most popular game around. Hope someone someone here has the answer. Put a Rottendog 327 in it, but also put a RD in my brother's machine. Thanks.

#2 2 years ago

https://www.ipdb.org/files/2810/Williams_1978_World_Cup_Service_Bulletin_dated_28_March_1978_Prototype_versus_Production_ROMS.pdf

Looks like the board might have a different version of the software, since the production software apparently specifically saves the status of goals but the prototype did not.

#3 2 years ago

Thanks for the response. I have a RottenDog 327 in it. Game is set to run WC78 by dip switch choice on board. Have same board in my brother's machine & it saves goals ball to ball.

#4 2 years ago

Are both machines set to 3-ball play?

#5 2 years ago

Are both versions of the RD software the same between the 2 boards?

#6 2 years ago

5 ball. But mine does same on 3 ball or 5 ball.

#7 2 years ago

Yes. 327-1

#8 2 years ago

Any way possible you can pull and verify the roms? I know they have the same version number listed, but there's not really a good explanation for why one works the way you think and the other doesn't.... since the only identified difference in saving a goal vs. not is a differing version of the original world cup software, that's where I'd start.

I don't think there's a magic bullet otherwise via a hidden setting.

#9 2 years ago

The RD 327 covers from sys 3 to sys 7 games, so not sure how there could be an issue one from another that would just affect this issue, but it has to be a software issue. Can't get to my brothers machine, but pulled board from my Hot Tip to compare. Looks like some of the chips are different versions, but all the same chips (see pic). The Hot Tip board functions exactly the same...not carrying goals over. Tried setting to 3 ball, liberal, etc. Nothing changes. I've mailed Jim Knight to see if he has any ideas.

327 pics (resized).jpg
1 week later
#10 2 years ago

Problem solved. I pulled the NVRAM & replaced with regular & battery. Now functions as it should. Figured the only difference between my brother's board & my two was his went straight into his World Cup & never went into the Hot Tip. Both of mine have been in the Hot Tip at one time or another as I used it to trouble shoot. So, had to be something from the HT holding in the nvram & wouldn't clear regardless of going through set up steps.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside