Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WH20 005.JPG
WH20 002.JPG
photo.JPG
P1010237.JPG
P1010254.JPG
#1 11 years ago

In the switch matrix, Bigfoot Opto (switch 87) is being reported as open and it should be closed. I have looked high and low and I cannot find this opto. Can someone please tell me where it is exactly? Also, when I contacted Marco Specialties with the part number to order a new opto they didn't carry it so I am wondering if this opto isn't part of a board or something? Help please.

Thanks

2 months later
#2 11 years ago

I'm in the exact same situation.

I have a few optos missing from this game, so I'm going to have to order new parts.
I'm eventually going to disassemble all the ramps and stuff from the playfield, so I'm assuming I will find the locations, but right now I can't see where either switch 87, 66, or 68 are supposed to be. Or what_ they are supposed to be, and the manual isn't exactly precise.

I can't even seem to find the exact part numbers, though I suppose any working opto switch will do - I'm not sure if I'm missing some brackets, though, and I'd love to place an order for spare parts as soon as possible.

#3 11 years ago

Book says under the mini playfield

#4 11 years ago

There are two optos under bigfoot located on a board beneath the motor assembly.

#5 11 years ago

Same optos as on the flipper board. Someone should have it.

#6 11 years ago

Is it this one?

P1010254.JPGP1010254.JPG

#7 11 years ago

I believe they are UNDER the mini playfield. All I see in the pic above are two flashers.

#8 11 years ago

The only other optos in that area under the upper playfield are in the start of the Disaster Drop ramp. Very left of the pic.

P1010237.JPGP1010237.JPG

#9 11 years ago

Have you tested the above opto's. I believe they will identify themselves by number when activated during testing. That will either eliminate them or locate your missing opto.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

All I see in the pic above are two flashers.

Under the bracket. 2 optos

#11 11 years ago

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but optos show as open in switch test. Take the glass off, go to sw 87 in single sw test mode and stick your finger under that bracket. If it triggers, you're good.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

I believe they are UNDER the mini playfield. All I see in the pic above are two flashers.

This is correct. Had the same issue, couldn't find them and finally found them under the mini-playfield. Sometimes the connector wire that powers these optos gets stretched, and comes loose.

#13 11 years ago

AS it states in the manual in the switch location page, the 2 optos are under the mini PF.

#14 11 years ago

I think the one shown is the secondary for the Spine Chiller ramp that confirms you made the shot.

You need to look at the bottom of the upper playfield. That is where they SHOULD be.

#15 11 years ago

You cannot see these optos by looking under the playfield, you have to pull the bigfoot mechanism apart. Put your game into the bigfoot test mode to verify the optos are working. I initially thought the same thing, but verified they were working in the test mode (similar to the TZ clock test). They will trip open and closed with bigfoot's head spinning around.

#16 11 years ago

There are two optos under bigfoot located on a board beneath the motor assembly.

As stated previously here they are. And yes they are the exact same 4 pin optos found on the flipper boards.

photo.JPGphoto.JPG

#17 11 years ago

Ah, so the bigfoot optos are the ones that identify the direction bigfoot is facing, I guess. Makes sense.

That's just odd, though, cause the one under the bracket in the first photo cclay posted, identifies as "Bigfoot opto 1" (#86) - ie. one of the two that are supposed to be under the playfield according to the manual.

Which switch is that one really, then? I'm guessing #66 (left ramp main) ?

Seriously, thanks for your help so far, people! Still have some work left to do to get this White Water in working order, but right now I'm searing a very clear light at the end of the tunnel. If anyone know where to get a double wire-gate bracket used for the Insanity falls/Bigfoot bluff shots, let me know!
Or, alternatively, two properly sized bracket types that can be installed together, to work just as well.

#18 11 years ago

The first photo in this thread shows the "left ramp main" opto. It's the opto to register a shot for the spine chiller ramp.

#19 11 years ago

Thanks. I thought I was missing that one, which confused me a lot, since I couldn't see where it was supposed to go. Fortunately the two bigfoot optos aren't important for getting the game to work.

Just need to find a new opto for the disaster drop entry then, looks like a pretty cheap replacement, fortunately.

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from Sumez:

Which switch is that one really, then? I'm guessing #66 (left ramp main) ?

Yes left ramp main.

Quoted from Sumez:

Just need to find a new opto for the disaster drop entry then, looks like a pretty cheap replacement, fortunately.

Yes optos are luckily very easy to test and replace. If you've never ordered them, you can just order the opto board itself, you don't need the plastic piece also

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=964

AS opossed to

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=167

It's just a single screw that hold it on the plastic piece.

#21 11 years ago

Or you could spend 80 cents to replace both opto bulbs themselves.

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from exflexer:

Or you could spend 80 cents to replace both opto bulbs themselves.

Yep...that's also an option.

#23 11 years ago

The entire boards are missing
That's why I'm thankful for the picture above showing where they are supposed to be located, because I couldn't find any obvious locations. The location displayed in the manual is covered by a metal ball guide/ramp protector, so obviously an opto switch wouldn't work there.

1 month later
#24 11 years ago

Hi All - Looking at cclay's 2nd picture above of the optos near the entrance of the suicide ramp, they appear to be attached to a bracket mounted on the bottom of the main playfield. My machine, which I just bought, does not have this bracket. The opto on the right side has been attached to the ramp which has been destroyed and poorly repaired. The left opto is attached to a broken piece of the ramp laying on the playfield. Does anyone know where I can get this bracket? Once I replace the ramp, I'll need the optos in place and I'm not going to attempt to attach them to the ramp! Thanks for any help.

#25 11 years ago

I believe my pin is an early production machine (as per ipbd) as the upper playfield does not have the water design behind the flipper (its all yellow.) I wonder if this would have something to do with the optos by the suicide ramp. Mine were attached to the ramp while the photo above shows them mounted to a bracket. Maybe the bracket was a modification after the early production machines?? Just guessing here. My machine also does not have the metal bracket shown in the first picture that goes over the lane where the VUK shoots the ball. Again, could it be that my machine never had this?? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

#26 11 years ago

Any thoughts on the last two posts? Thanks

11 months later
#28 10 years ago

Thanxx a Bunch Out_West ,,, my WH20 Big Foot Head opto / gear box assembly ( i'm missing the round actuator opto switch ) that is between the board and the gear box .. I have contacted the previous owner since it was taken apart when he brought White Water last nite .. The part # that i need is 038698 ..

WH20 002.JPGWH20 002.JPG WH20 005.JPGWH20 005.JPG
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

12,610 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mapleton, UT
$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

17,250 (OBO)
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Sugarloaf, CO
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-whitewater-bigfoot-optos and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.