(Topic ID: 256651)

Williams Whirlwind Operation Problems

By Nordster

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Hello everyone I recently purchased a 1990 Williams Whirlwind (System 11b). **Please excuse my vocabulary as I am still learning as to what each element and board is called** When first purchased it would not turn on at all as if not receiving any power. I diagnosed that the power board was the issue and replaced it with a new one from "Rottendog Amusements". The machine would then power up and go through the start-up process, but the character display glass was not displaying any information. From there I found that someone had incorrectly connected the 26-pin ribbon cable that goes from the CPU board to Master display board (labeled J3 on the schematics). Once I got that connected correctly everything operated as it should.

I recently went to set a new high score, but when I turned on the machine only the field lights turned on with no start-up run through. It acts like it isn't on or running but there are light on. I checked the new power board but it is doing its job and all of the voltage is coming back good. The only issue I found is from the power board to the CPU board. There is a 9 pin (HDR) connector (item 120, part number 5791-10862-09, labeled 1J7) that is only receiving +3V when it should be at 4.8-5.2V. I read that this could be cause just the field lights to turn on, but not be enough power to get the CPU to fire up... I am at a loss as to how to fix this and where I should go next.

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from Nordster:

I am at a loss as to how to fix this

Start at the power supply board. 5V leaving there ? If so follow along the wiring and check each connector along the way for a voltage drop. See if you can find where it drops, then fix, clean, replace that.

LTG : )

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Start at the power supply board. 5V leaving there ? If so follow along the wiring and check each connector along the way for a voltage drop. See if you can find where it drops, then fix, clean, replace that.

Thanks for the reply. I found that my power board has the is putting out +/- 100V and the +/- 12V but is not doing the 5V. What would be the culprit of the board not putting out that portion of power? Would it be something I could replace?

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from Nordster:

What would be the culprit of the board not putting out that portion of power? Would it be something I could replace?

If there is a bridge rectifier for the 5 volts, I'd check that. Also any fuse involved. Check across and through board continuity. etc. etc.

#5 4 years ago

Board shouldn't fail in a couple weeks. Get your original fixed so you can at least swap back and forth while troubleshooting.

RD boards aren't the best replacement choice but they are usually the cheapest.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Board shouldn't fail in a couple weeks. Get your original fixed so you can at least swap back and forth while troubleshooting.
RD boards aren't the best replacement choice but they are usually the cheapest.

Do you have any contacts for board repair? Preferably in the U.S.?

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Nordster:

Do you have any contacts for board repair? Preferably in the U.S.?

contact borygard on here, rob does great work.

#8 4 years ago

A partially blown slow blow fuse would give that symptom.

#9 4 years ago

Chris Hibler is also excellent. ChrisHibler

#10 4 years ago

Did you mean 1J17 on the MPU board? That is the 5/12/-12 power header IIRC. Either the MPU is dragging the power supply down or your power supply has shot craps.

I’d advise repairing the OEM PS. They are far superior to the RD aftermarket board.

LMK if I can help.

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
http://www.PinWiki.com/ - The new place for pinball repair info

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-whirlwind-operation-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.