(Topic ID: 273148)

Williams Type 2 Sound Board has 5V Short - How to find?

By minnesota13

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider minnesota13.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Working on a Baracora I found no 5VDC on the Sound Board Test point. I noted that the 7805 was hot. I removed the 7805 and measured 1.4 ohms between +5VDC and Ground indicating a short somewhere on the board.

Almost all electrolytic caps have been replaced with orientation triple checked. I Checked all of the little glass caps with a magnifying glass and none looked burned or different from one another.

What are the possible shorted devices that would be high on the list to lift their 5V supply line?

#3 3 years ago

Thanks for the reponse and video. I tried the technique, but my meter doesn't have the lower resistance capability. I went through all of the newly replaced capacitors with a close look on the wiring side. I found a tiny solder splash that didn't look connected between the capacitor and a nearby trace as the trace was covered with the original solder mask. I removed the splash and the short was gone.

I replaced the 7805 with a 2A 78S05 regulator and the sound board is now working. A self induced problem solved. I've got to look a lot closer after replacing components.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider minnesota13.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-type-2-sound-board-has-5v-short-how-to-find?tu=minnesota13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.