Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

04-right.JPG
03-center-right.JPG
02-center .JPG
01-left.JPG
#1 9 years ago

Hi all,

I'm working on a TriZone, and when I started, it was missing the Z drop target, but the game otherwise played correctly. I finally got a replacement, and by that time the second rollover switch from the left had stopped working. So I have now replaced that drop target (it was only missing the actual pink plastic target piece, and spring), and that target didn't score, even though everything was making good contact/continuity. Looking at the different drop targets, I found that the E had wiring slightly different from the others. One thing was that it had a loose white/orange wire, but then it also had a screw-down wiring lug where the other targets do not, and there was a piece of a component lead (likely from a diode?) still there. I am sure that getting these two white/orange wires back where they need to be is what's keeping this from all working right now, but I'm not quite getting it. I did get the Z drop target working at one point (scoring+sounding when dropped, I mean), but I also ended up with some kind of setup where that second rollover switch would give 14000 points or something like that, every time it was hit. And the drop targets never reset, except for when starting a new game/ball.

The diode I tried to add to the E target assembly was just a 1n4007 equivalent, between the solder-point on the drop-target's board and that lug. I'm realizing now though that there would be four different ways that the wires and diode could be oriented together though, and I know I didn't re-solder them four times. So I need to go back and do that again (can anyone tell me which way that diode [still assuming there should be a diode there] should be, at least?), but would there be any other factors in what still isn't quite right with this?

And I did see that that white/orange wire is over at both the E target as well as the rollover switch that's acting strange, which is why of course that switch started working when I got the loose wire at E reconnected.

thank you for your time!
- Justin -

#2 9 years ago

As for the all down, not resetting, the game must sense all targets are down. If you don't have good contact for each horseshoe for each target in the down position, they won't reset. They get temperamental, it is a common problem with this era's drop targets.

Below is the wiring for the four drops from left to right, 01 being left and 04 is right.

Here is a description in case you can't see the colors:

Left target:
Green - yellow
White
2 x Green - black
2 x White - blue - diode

Center target:
2 x Green - red
White
White
White - gray - diode

Center - right target:
2 x Green - black
White - orange
White
White - brown - diode

Right target:
2 x Green - orange
2 x White - orange - diode
White
2 x White - yellow - diode

01-left.JPG01-left.JPG 02-center .JPG02-center .JPG 03-center-right.JPG03-center-right.JPG 04-right.JPG04-right.JPG
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-trizone-drop-target-and-rollover-switch-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.