• Latest reply 8 years ago by EMsInKC
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

saucer.jpg
#1 8 years ago

I just acquired a nice Williams Triple Strike. It's pretty clean, but the steppers were all a bit gooey. As far as I can tell, all features are now working correctly, except for a single quirk involving the eject hole at the top of the playfield.

That hole advances each time the ball drops into it, with an indicator showing 1-5. When I first powered up the machine, 1 and 2 wouldn't light, due to grease on the eject hole advance stepper. I cleaned that up and now when I advance that stepper manually, the lights move from 1 to 5 as they should.

However, when I'm playing a game and advancing the stepper via actually putting the ball in the hole, something weird happens. The lights advance from 1 to 5 as they should, but when the hole advances to 4 or 5, the 3 stays lit. This is not an issue with the eject hole advance stepper; there's nothing there to provide continuity to the 3 if the stepper is in the 4 or 5 position. There must be another switch that's out of position somewhere that's preventing the 3 from going out when the hole advances to 4 or 5.

Don't yet have a paper manual or schematic in hand on this one, so I'm having to blunder through it and this machine is relatively complex (30+ relays, including a few that aren't labeled.). I know that Little Chief (and perhaps others) had a similar eject hole, so perhaps someone has encountered a similar problem. Any suggestions as to what might be happening here or how to fix it? AFAIK, it's the last remaining glitch in the game, and it's driving me nuts.

Image attached.

Charlie

saucer.jpgsaucer.jpg

#2 8 years ago

You can download the manual at IPDB. I have never played a TS, if I did I would have a better understanding, but you may want to start by checking the D switch on the Blue Star relay. From what I am reading, it may help if you explain if this happens with no strikes, 1 strike, etc. or all of the time and strike count does not matter.
Congrats on getting the pin.

#3 8 years ago

That is normal game operation.

#4 8 years ago

I have the PDF of the manual.

Situation occurs all the time, regardless of the number of strikes.

Switch D on the Blue Star relay appears to be working properly. It's normally open, but closes to light the 3 when the eject hole advance stepper moves to the 3 position.

That 3 light is going to stay on as long as that Blue Star relay is engaged and the Blue Star relay's purpose is to hold the bonus over for the next ball.

I wonder if it isn't simply a feature, rather than a bug.

I posted this before I saw the last reply. Apparently, this odd bug is a feature. I spend about three hours yesterday trying to get that light to go out.

Now I can finish shopping it out. Triple Strike is a fun game and Williams single player machines aren't all that common. Found it at a yard sale last weekend (along with a Bally Power Play and a Williams High Speed.) First Triple Strike I've seen since they were new

Thanks for all.

Charlie

#5 8 years ago

When I first got mine, I did the same thing. Couldn't believe that it was correct, but it is.

If you step the "score reel" stepper under the playfield through the lights, it will go out. But it won't go out with the blue star relay engaged. That's how I figured it was intended that way. The relay switches were correct, so I figured at that point that light was meant to stay on.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.98
Machine - For Sale
Chesapeake, VA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-triple-strike-eject-hole-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.